Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, May-04-04, 07:24
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 266/266/200 Male 5"8
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default First Timer in Jamaica

Hi Everyone I came across this forum after attempting for the fifth time to lose weight on Atkins without much success. I realize that I am a severe Carbo Addict and I dont know much about this Diet but I am desperate to loise weight and become healthy. I am 32 diagnosed with severe high blood pressure and have had to be taking Norvasc since. I have lost about 20 pounds but am still overweight and still sturggling with food. I do Induction for a few weeks then I binge put on back the lost weight and thensome. Can someone walk me through this diet and give me some assistance I would like for this to be the first day of the rest of my life...help!!!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, May-04-04, 10:39

Plan: CAD from day 1
Stats: 327/304/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 14%
Default Hello Brights.

If you can possibly get the book I would recommend that you do, as soon as you can. But, in the meantime, there are several threads at the beginning of the forum that explain the plan for you.

Basically, you can eat one or two CMs (complementary meals) per day.. for most people this is breakfast and lunch, but not necessarily. These meals are made up of protein and very low-carb, allowed vegetables, taken from the list of allowed foods (you can find that in the cheat sheet thread) That is all you eat, no snacks at all, except for one a day, half the amount of a CM, and only if you really need it. Then you have your RM (reward meal). It can be any food you like, but you should strive for balance...1/3 protein, 1/3 low carb veggies, 1/3 carb-heavy foods. You can also have a big salad before your RM. The carb foods can be whatever you like, root veggies, bread, pasta, sweets, etc. The meal must start and finish within an hour. In other words, you cannot have dinner and then go back later (outside of the hour) to have dessert. One hour and then you are done for the day.

I hope that helps. There are lots of other points in the book but that is a very basic rundown.

Good luck.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, May-04-04, 15:31
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks Vel.
I guess I need to read up on this WOE so I can at least know what to do and do it properly. I had wanted to start today but I will have to order the book online and it will probably take another two weeks to be shipped to Jamaica. I was trying to find the cheat sheet thread but couldnt locate it ..Where do I find it. Thanks again
  #4   ^
Old Tue, May-04-04, 15:39

Stats: 180/179.8/130 Female 5'4.75"
BF:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=117419

There's a shortcut. You could also find it by going to "search this forum" when in the forum (upper right of forum) and then typing cheat sheet.

EDIT: There now it's at the begining of the forum.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, May-04-04, 15:58

Plan: CAD maintenance
Stats: // Female 63
BF:
Progress: 123%

Also, if you decide to get one of the books, it can be a little confusing because there are so many of them. I suggest you pick up "The Carbohydrate Addict's Lifespan Program" first out of all of them. Good luck and I'm sure you will really enjoy following CAD/CALP in Jamaica with all the great food there
  #6   ^
Old Wed, May-05-04, 07:50
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks Adukart & beleive, Turns out that I located a used copy of the Carbohydrate Addct's diet book at an used book store last night, spent most of the night reading it. I printed out the cheat sheet and am feeling like today is the day to start. I have some additional questions that I hope you wont mind answering:

(1) I drink two to three cups (sometimes more) of Body Slim Dieter's Tea which I normally sweeten with SweetLeaf Stevia Plus and Heavy Cream do I have to cut off both the setvia and the Heavy Cream and only have them at my RM.?

(2) Can I have two CMs consisting of Breakfast and Lunch and a RM of Dinner or is it just two meals total per day and a snack.

(3) I have two hard boiled eggs and a small peice of red herring this morning could I have added mayonnaise to that mix or Miracle Whip

Let me stop bombarding with the ????? but I really want to succeed at this WOE and regain some sense of self respect and control.

Thanks for all the useful advice so far.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, May-05-04, 08:14

Plan: CAD maintenance
Stats: // Female 63
BF:
Progress: 123%

Welcome to the wonderful world of CAD As a newbie myself, I was full of questions the first day too.
1) from what I've read in the forums, a lot of people have an insulin response to just the taste of sweetness even if it's not sugar. It's a YMMV thing, but just to be sure since it's your first day, maybe you should leave the sweetener out for now.
2) The entry plan is two CMs and one RM. Later you can modify it, adding a complementary snack, or if you're not hungry, just having one CM and then RM.
3) That sounds good except for the miracle whip- it has lots of sugar! Best to stick with the mayo.

Good luck and keep us updated!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, May-05-04, 09:23

Stats: 180/179.8/130 Female 5'4.75"
BF:

1) Tea and coffee with cream and/or sweetener needs to be gone within 15 min. once per day. You can drink as much black coffee and tea as you want. I guess I trick the diet for myself, I have 1 coffee w/cream and AS, in the afternoon and one at reward meal.

2) "same as believe"

3) Miracle whip and mayo have the same amount of sugar (or close, brand matters), I believe it's the ingredients that make miracle whip that are bad. I remember reading about this in the Atkins book but not CAD. I will have to look it up and report back. Unless someone else can answer first.

EDIT: Only thing I found is that Miracle Whip does have more sugar I believe it's 2 per 15 grams (I think that's one tablespoon) where as mayo is under 1 carb per tablespoon.

Last edited by adukart : Wed, May-05-04 at 09:54.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, May-05-04, 16:05
Registered Member

BF:

Guys I will heed your advice and throw out the Miracle Whip.
I wanted to find out how critical it is to having all ur meals at the same time each day. I work as an Attorney and I find that having Lunch (which I am using as my second CM)at the same time every time is almost entirely impossible. For example I had lunch at 5:00p.m. today which was a Double Whopper with cheese (I tossed the bread and the tomatoes) I hope that is fine.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, May-16-04, 17:03

Plan: CAD + South Beach Diet
Stats: 230/177/160
BF:
Progress: 76%

hi brights,
i am from Dominica.......we are not to far away. I was the only one on CAD, till i converted my mom from a full time permanent low fat dieter to a cader. And she loves it. It's hard for people to understand cad when you are from that part of the world, where food is a huge part of our culture.