Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > South Beach Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, May-03-04, 18:25
Registered Member

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 214.5/195.5/160 Female 5'-5 1/2
BF:size 18/14-16/10
Progress: 35%
Default Recipes by the Book or Create Your Own Meals?

Do you go by the menus included in the SBD book or do you create your own menus based on the allowable foods? Have you had better success with one or the other & why?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, May-03-04, 20:56

Plan: South beach (modified)
Stats: 185/154/150 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 89%

I have only used one recipe from the SBD book, and that a lot: the veggie quiche - which is a breakfast item in the book, but I use it as a snack a lot. I tried one ricotta dessert and hated it.

There is a crushed fruit dessert in the new book that I will try.

Why not? I don't have the time, and need to modify our usual dinner to suit me to feed the rest of the family. So I mostly use the things I like that are allowed. Oh. and someone here, etoile, gave me her "potato salad" recipe - so I modified my standard German potato salad with her idea - Kohlrabi instead of potato. Well, I guess I am not a recipe person that much.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, May-04-04, 05:26

Plan: very low fiber
Stats: 225/225/150 Female 67 in.
BF:dont know
Progress: 0%

i use my own recipes, I find I have better luck with that because then I can modify things according to my and my husbands taste, and available ingrediants, which here in central oklahoma can be a problem some of the time. (the quality of produce here sucks!!!!) and my budget. I use some of the recipes some of the time, but not often.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, May-04-04, 06:37

Plan: Undecided atm
Stats: 162/000/115 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 345%

I have tried a few recipes lately but I have always just gone by the allowed list of foods. There are 5 people in my family (soon to be 6) some of us are vegetarians, some eat meat, one is allergic to dairy, one is allergic to pork, one is allergic to splenda, and not to mention some are just plain picky!! So as you can probably guess there is just no way I could have ever just gone by a single recipe book. I usually have to make a couple meals at every meal or at least make a meal that can be altered in many ways. If you are someone who loves to try recipes though there is nothing wrong with following the recipes for a while. Just don't feel like you HAVE to follow the recipes in the book.

Jenn
  #5   ^
Old Tue, May-04-04, 07:13
Registered Member

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 214.5/195.5/160 Female 5'-5 1/2
BF:size 18/14-16/10
Progress: 35%

thanks, that's what I was looking for. I didnt want to have to follow the recipes, I'd like the freedom to create my own meals based on my likes, etc. Glad to know I can :0)