Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, May-03-04, 07:59

Plan: low fat -to- atkins
Stats: 180/124/110 Female 5'4-5'5"
BF:36%/18.2%/???
Progress: 80%
Question tips for induction

hey!! my name is lizzy, and i just started the atkins diet. i have been "low-fat" for the past year and have lost 60 lbs. i was recently convinced that i should do the low-carb thing by my boyfriend's parents. i was tired of never eating and when i did eat it wasn't anything good. i missed real cheese and meat the most. since i only have about 10 lbs to lose i decided that i should skip induction but this did not work out and i have actually gained weight.. this has brought me to the conclusion that induction is important.

anyway

i was wondering if anyone has any tips for induction. things that help you lose weight the fastest. in all honesty, i would like to drop weight but if the only thing that comes off is inches i will be just as excited. i work out all the time and want to tone up.

if you have any ideas let me know!!

also, i was thinking about putting a before and after picture on here but i wasnt sure since i lost the weight thru low-fat instead of low-carbing.. what do you guys think??

thanks!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, May-03-04, 08:12
Registered Member

Plan: none
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 00
BF:none
Progress: 11%

Since you only have 10 pounds to lose, it probably will not come off fast!
But give it a whirl.... at least put yourself on this WOE for life, and you might never have a severe weight problem. It is a good healthy way to eat... And it's NOT lo fat!

DO the induction, and see where it takes you. Do you have the book? If not, Buy it, or borrow it... You need it...Also read these boards, lots and lots of great info here!!
Good Luck!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, May-03-04, 08:20

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/152/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 110%

Quote:
things that help you lose weight the fastest

One of the first pieces of advice is to drop this mindset because that's not the point of low carbing - the point is to lose weight in the healthiest way for your body and fast weight loss will just cause stress for your body.

However, some good tips are to make sure you drink plenty of water and keep away from processed low carb foods, like the bars etc., which can stall weight loss

Good luck, and well done for choosing a low carb woe, you'll be glad that you did
  #4   ^
Old Mon, May-03-04, 08:35

can the bars stall weight loss if i eat them before a step aerobics class? i sometimes eat them before i go because i know i won't be able to eat dinner until late.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, May-03-04, 10:07

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 248/140/145 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 105%

If I were you, I would not skip Induction. Just my opinion. Good luck.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, May-03-04, 10:40
Memere to 4

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 227/199/150 Female 5ft 3in
BF:Too much
Progress: 36%

I think if you are serious about this woe you will give it a chance by doing the plan properly. This means starting with induction and getting rid of retained water and starting to rid your body of yeast. Then following owl and climbing the carb ladder. On induction the bars are only for when you need to eat and can't possibly get a healthy meal in. I believe in clean induction and whole foods. I am on owl and still believe in whole foods. I think it all depends on how bad you want it!
  #7   ^
Old Mon, May-03-04, 10:48
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 230/175.5/145 Male 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 64%

The bars (and candies) have sugar alchohols in them so if you are one of the people who's bodies metabolizes them - and does not ignore them - and you eat a bar that states 3 NET carbs with 27 sugar alchohols your body treats it as though you just ate 30 carbs.

Also, if our body is sensitive to sugar and eating a tiny amount starts cravings for more sugary things then the sugar alchohlos in the bars can have the same effect. Trust me I was addicted to the bars and candies and had to go cold turkey.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, May-03-04, 11:22

Plan: Skinny Me Diet
Stats: 345/212.5/210 Male 6'4
BF:
Progress: 98%

Lizzy,

Congrats on your weight loss thus far. I just want to warn that because you are already at a healthy weight for your body, the weight loss is most likely going to be extremely slow from here on out. I would recomend adding some resistance training to your exercise routine, it will help build lead muscle mass which will give your body a better shape.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, May-03-04, 12:46

if i need a snack before aerobics, what should i eat??

during the day i get atleast 50 min of cardio and 15 min of ab work

on monday nights i get an hour of weights and an hour of cardio

tuesday i get an hour of weights [the only exercise i do]

wednesday nights i get an hour of cardio and 30 min pilates

thursday weights only [60 min]

do you guys think this will help me tone up with the LC diet??
  #10   ^
Old Mon, May-03-04, 12:54

how do i know if my body treats sugar alcohols like carbs???
  #11   ^
Old Mon, May-03-04, 14:09

BF:

You say you are doing weights on Monday and Tuesday. ARe you doing the same exercises on both those nights? You need to give each muscle group at least 1 day in between to rest and rebuild.

As for a snack before areobics, I would go with 1/2 cup cottage cheese, an ounce of cheddar with a slice of lunch meat or something similar. Basically you are looking for a protein rich snack right here and not something loaded with carbs.

As for sugar alcohols....you won't know how your body treats them until you try them. But if you aren't losing any weight for several weeks, that would be the first thing to cut out. Plus with MANY people they will give you diahrea and bad gas. They taste good, but man do they have consequences for eating them!

If time isn't an issue I would split your workouts up more like this....... but if you can't get in 6 days of workouts, then stack some of your cardio on top of your weight training. Not as effective, but still better than not doing it at all.

Monday - Weight training
Tuesday - Cardio
Wednesday - Weight training
Thursday - Cardio
Friday - Weight Training
Saturday- Cardio
  #12   ^
Old Mon, May-03-04, 14:17

Plan: Hybrid
Stats: 235/232/205 Male 6'4"
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrschmelz
Monday - Weight training
Tuesday - Cardio
Wednesday - Weight training
Thursday - Cardio
Friday - Weight Training
Saturday- Cardio

What if I do cardio 5 times a week? For example I play competitive full court basketball for 45-75 minutes mon-friday. (During my lunch break)Then I lift weights three times a week at nights. Mon abs/chest/tri Wed abs/back/bicep Fri abs/legs/shoulders

Is doing cardio 5 days straight going to cause me any problems?
  #13   ^
Old Mon, May-03-04, 14:23

Plan: Hybrid
Stats: 235/232/205 Male 6'4"
BF:
Progress:

also... How do I start trimming my portion sizes down. My biggest problem is that I have a HUGE appetite!!! Any helpfull hints for people who can down seven chilli cheese dogs or three big cheese burgers in a sitting?
  #14   ^
Old Mon, May-03-04, 14:35

BF:

Playing the basketball 5 days a week isn't going to hurt you. But make sure you listen to your body and take a day off when needed.

As for the eating........I know what you mean as well. Even after training myself to eat smaller portions, I can still sit down and eat a large supreme pizza like its nothing. Or my favorite order from taco bell after drinking......3 Double Decker taco supremes, 1 mexican pizza, 1 personal pan supreme pizza, 1 seveal layer burrito and a meximelt. And I wonder how I got fat?

My best advice on eating is to try and eat 4 or 5 smaller meals. Because at first when you start cutting back those portions, you are going to be hungry a lot.....so have more frequent feedings. Set up a schedule and plan your meals the day before. ANd once you plan them, DO NOT GO OFF THAT PLAN. If you do this for a week or two, you will find your body has adjusted and its easier than it looks. But even now there are times when I go off on a 2 or 3 day period where I have to struggle to get back on plan. Good luck.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, May-03-04, 15:41

Question

doing cardio 5 times a week is great!

i used to do cardio 4 times a day and im still alive

anyway.. thanks a lot for the advice. i just got home and im starving [i dont know why] this is what i ate today will someone tell me if im on the right track?

breakfast = 2 eggs w/ cheese and bacon
lunch = sliced turkey, cheese, lettuce, and cabbage

for dinner i plan to have steak and a salad..

what dressings do you recommend during induction?