Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, May-02-04, 18:01
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 277/255/170 Male 5 ' 10"
BF:
Progress: 21%
Default Splenda®and Sweet and Low®ruined my snack

I was making cheese-cake spread (mixing Equal and cream cheese). There wasn't any Equal handy so I used Sweet and Low and Splenda. It tastes like crap with a bitter after taste. These products really suck. I wish they had a big label that said these products will make anything taste like $hit compared to Equal.

I am really mad because I look forward to my snack and now it is ruined.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, May-02-04, 18:12

Stats: 250/130/150 Female 5' 1"
BF:Not anymore!
Progress: 120%

I find Splenda really good...I bet it was the Sweet n Low that gave it the bitter taste. Try Splenda alone and see what you think.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, May-02-04, 18:23

Stats: 248/138/125 Female 5 ft. 3
BF:
Progress: 89%

I never liked any artificial sweetener until Splenda...just tried the Carb Options French dressing on my salad for the first time and it feels like I cheated, it was sweet just like other french dressing, but with Splenda instead of sugar and with no aftertaste at all.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, May-02-04, 18:27
Registered Member

Stats: 277/255/170 Male 5 ' 10"
BF:
Progress: 21%

That is interesting. I've read a couple magazine articles where the writer used the horrible Splenda after taste as an analogy.

I will try some splenda again to make sure it was just the Sweet and Low. But honestly, you don't like equal better?

Last edited by tubby : Sun, May-02-04 at 18:37.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, May-02-04, 18:36
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Some people seem to get after tastes or dislike some AS. My sister hates Aspartame, but likes splenda. To me they both taste fine.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, May-02-04, 18:45

Plan: general low carb
Stats: 145/145/135 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 0%

I've heard other people say they get a terrible aftertaste with Splenda. Most people like it though. Sweet n Low is notorious for having an aftertaste.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, May-02-04, 18:46
I'm Losin' It

Stats: 190.5/190.5/150 Female 5' 7"
BF:ha/ha/18%

I never used Equal if I had any other options. It didn't seem to sweeten enough for me . . .

I use SF syrups for most of my sweetening needs, sometimes adding a drop or so of stevia.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, May-02-04, 19:04

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 148/134/115 Female 62 inches
BF:I dunno?
Progress: 42%

I love Splenda! (Shhhhhh... i actually act some off a teaspoon last night... don't tell)
  #9   ^
Old Mon, May-03-04, 00:21

Stats: 168/138/130 Female 5'4"
BF:?/27%/15% maybe?
Progress: 79%

I hated splenda at first. I tried to make my easy peanut butter cookies with it (before I started induction) and they were so awful I had to throw them out. But then I learned that too much is what gives you that aftertaste. Some SF soda's are gross, too sweet with the splenda aftertaste, Atkins pancake syrup is gross with that aftertaste but if I mix things myself and don't overdo then it's fine. The atkins SF syrups for your coffee are good but maybe the bitterness of the coffee helps cancel out the aftertaste. I don't measure it cup for cup for recipes either cuz it's too strong and gives that aftertaste. It defenitely was an aquired taste. The more splenda products I tried that were good, (and believe me I tried a ton prior to doing induction so I'd know what I could fall back on during a craving) the more I found that It had to be the individual recipes and the ratio of splenda in them. Now i've seen it can be done and YUM I can make goodies. I just whipped some whip cream up today and took about 1/4 c of it with a teaspoon of crunchy peanutbutter and about 1/4 t splenda and it tasted just like the inside of a peanutbutter cream pie. YUM. Annie
  #10   ^
Old Mon, May-03-04, 01:17

Stats: 229/205/170 Female 5'6"
BF:I have Body Fat!??
Progress: 41%

To me, Splenda tastes fine in some products, but develops a bizarre taste in others. If we make cheesecake with it, it's a little weird, but good enough. I had some Splenda-sweetened maple syrup that left an awful after-taste. In Diet Rite I never notice it at all.

Sweet 'N Low is saccharin, and it definitely has an after-taste. We use Sugar Twin (same thing) in some of our stuff, but never by itself, because of the horrid after-taste. And shoot, I grew up on that stuff! My mom liked sweetened tea with lemon (yuck!!). She put in half sugar and half saccharin--this cut the saccharin taste to practically nill. Anyhow, it seems how all this stuff ends up tasting in the long run has a lot to do with what it's in.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, May-03-04, 05:36

Plan: Low GI
Stats: 370/170/170 Male 6'1
BF:10%
Progress: 100%

oh god.. yes Sweet and Low is the absolute worst! Splenda is the best.. tastes just like real sugar. Give it a try, you'll like it better than Equal.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, May-03-04, 23:19

Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 80%

I don't like Equal [it tastes too chemical and weak,] not to mention Aspartame gives me Headaches. I won't touch it with a 10 foot pole. Splenda is great, but the packets and granular contain Maltodextrin [like all other Fillered Sweeteners,] which I generally try to avoid, so I usually use Stevia instead. I sometimes use liquid Saccharin or Brown Sugar Twin [Saccharin,] though. I sometimes [when I run out of KAL Brand Stevia] mix liquid Saccharin with the weaker [compared to KAL Brand] NOW Brand Stevia to get an acceptable sweetness. Stevia has a taste which can vary from brand to brand and some folks don't like it. As for Sweet-N-Low, that's made from Saccharin. Saccharin has a unique aftertaste. I kinda like the Saccharin aftertaste, but I grew up with Saccharin. My dad used it, many times mixed with Sugar [Sucrose,] to make Ice Tea. I also like how it blends with Cinnamon, though some folks hate it.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, May-04-04, 05:55
Nursing Mama

Plan: High fat 80/15/5
Stats: 255/243/140 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 10%

I get the Splenda aftertaste, too, YUCK!

I actually like the aspartame taste, but maybe it's because I've been drinking Diet Coke daily for the past 15 years.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, May-04-04, 09:37

Plan: Atkins (started Sunday, N
Stats: 230/212/170 Female 64"
BF:HA-HA-HA
Progress: 30%

I alergic to aspartamine(equal) so i don't mess with it but I like both the sweet n low and the splenda...Not for the same things though...I use sweet n low for my tea only...I use splenda for everything else...Its really good but it does leave a after taste...I think the only thing I have used it with that it didn't have the after taste was sopapillas...mixing it with the cinnamon knocked out the after taste...

I do not like the liquid sweet n low...UGH...It was so gross...I tried to sweeten my tea with it and it made me nauseas...Gotta go!
  #15   ^
Old Tue, May-04-04, 09:39

Stats: 000/000/135 Female 5' 2"
BF:uh/no/thanks

I hate Equal. It sinks to the bottom of iced tea.