Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, May-02-04, 13:43

Plan: atkins
Stats: 159/127/105 Female 59 inches
BF:
Progress: 59%
Default How can they make some of the low carb stuff taste so good and others so bad?

I don't get it. Some of the things taste so good that you almost think it's the regular stuff. But then.... some of the other stuff is so bad tasting that you wouldn't give it to anyone you actually liked? I guess that's just one of those things but it sure would be nice if they could make everything decent.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, May-03-04, 00:26

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 229/205/170 Female 5'6"
BF:I have Body Fat!??
Progress: 41%

In a perfect world.....LOL

Mainly, taste depends on ingredients used. Some low-carb breads, for example, are about like eating a sponge, both taste- and texture-wise. Yet others taste extremely good. If you look on the labels of the ones that don't taste good to you you'll probably find common ingredients. If a bread uses quite a bit of flax meal, it's going to be spongier. If it uses less flax, more vital wheat gluten, and a bit more yeast, it actually tastes like bread but doesn't have the carbs. I've also noticed a few LC breads taste like they have very little salt in them. Two loaves of bread should have 2 teaspoons of salt to make them taste right. Now that's not a lot of salt when you think about it breading spread through two loaves, but I've tasted some of the breads that tasted like my home-made bread when I forgot the salt! LOL
  #3   ^
Old Mon, May-03-04, 23:57

Plan: atkins diet
Stats: 194/185/150 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 20%

I have no idea. I know what you mean, though. I think it's just like anything else. Doritos taste great (even though we can't eat them) but the generic ones taste really gross. Some flavored waters taste great, while others make me sick. It's all the way the things are made. Also everyone's taste is different. The items you are talking about may be the best tasting low carb item on the planet for others!! YUCK.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, May-04-04, 12:02
Bigger than ever :(

Plan: Keto
Stats: 464/280/200 Male 67.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 70%

I agree. The Dreamfields pasta tastes just like regular pasta, but all the other pastas I have tried tasted worse than anything I could even describe. I wish they could all figure it out.

Chris
  #5   ^
Old Wed, May-05-04, 11:43

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 178/147/140 Female 5'2"
BF:Haven't/a/Clue
Progress: 82%

It is true - everybody's tastes are different.
What is wonderful to you (or me) may have the opposite effect on the other person.

There are some things, however, that appear not to be much better than cardboard.

But, isn't that true with a lot of things, LC or not?
  #6   ^
Old Wed, May-05-04, 11:48

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

I think it also has to do with what went into the regular version in the first place.

LC cheesecake and ice cream are basically low carb in the first place, so substituting splenda for sugar and upping the fat actually enhances what makes these things good.

Bread, though, is almost all carbs, so any substitutions they make are really crucial, and naturally some won't get it right.

And when in doubt, always remember Sturgeon's Law: 90% of everything is s**t.