Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Nov-17-01, 00:53

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 147/128/118 Female 5'3''
BF:?/18/17
Progress: 66%
Default Anyone watch Victoria's Secrets last night?

Come out, come out, wherever you are and 'fess up.

I couldn't help myself. Just had to see all those leggy girls and women strutting down the catwalk and have a little laugh to myself as to who is actually buying the lingerie? It can't be the majority of the population because we'd be falling out all over the place .

I mean, I think all the girls are beautiful and I have to say that I honestly like that long, leggy dancer look.

However, the reality is that there is more than one body type out there and why is it that we never see the designers designing clothes for those different body types?

I mean, it would be really neat to see real people who are in-shape strutting their stuff down the catwalk.

I think a true designer who supposedly loves women's bodies should be able to design different styles of clothes to compliment the different body types that us real women have.

Note: When I say real women, I mean women who have to work for a living by cleaning, cooking, mending, accounting, fixing, shopping, raising kids, etc. Not women who are paid enough money that they only have to take care of their bodies and leave all the grunt stuff for someone else to take care of!

Okay. Now let me have it!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Nov-17-01, 11:11

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/218/144
BF:48/42.3/22
Progress: 26%

I missed it...but wish I had seen it
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Nov-17-01, 14:17

Stats: 212/185/185
BF:
Progress: 100%

I didn't watch the show, but I saw some teasers on the Fox News Channel (THIS is NEWS???!!!), and I must say I thought the women looked ridiculous. I'm as red-blooded an American male as you're likely to run across, but when I saw these ladies strutting down the runway with their "pouty attitude" face on, wearing nothing but bra and panties, it just looked silly.

They also seemed to be just a bit uncomfortable out there, which surprised me. Maybe having THAT much flesh exposed was more than even they were comfortable with.

Let's face it...deep down most men would like to have SOMETHING left to the imagination.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Nov-17-01, 14:18
Registered Member

Stats: 210/194/130
BF:
Progress: 20%

Homegirl, I couldn't agree with you more.

#5   ^
Old Sat, Nov-17-01, 14:42

Default Hey Tonsil

That's exactly what DH said when I told him to come and see what he was missing.

He just rolled his eyes, said they looked like horses prancing down the catwalk (you know that crossover walk they do with their feet but which looks so funny when viewed from the side) and went back to the computer.

Said he would rather it was me wearing something slinky for him to take off. Have to say it made me feel very good that he prefers my imperfect little body because he sees it as having been living a "real" life rather than a pampered one.

And you are right, many of them were uncomfortable wearing underwear. But I can hardly see how as some of the clothes they have to wear sometimes leaves them hanging out all over the place!

I think it is also obvious that they feel a pressure to maintain that ideal of model perfection. So in essence, even though they do have very nice bodies, they have just as many hangups and issues with their bodies and weight as we do with ours. Go figure!
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Nov-17-01, 16:23

Plan: IN LIMBO!!!!!
Stats: 145/137/126
BF:28.3%/22%/18%
Progress: 42%
Default refused to watch

considering my emotional ups and downs as of late, i chose not to watch this. to tell you the truth, it's a bit frightening to me. what in the world are they trying to promote? this has got to be the biggest money making underwear company on the face of the earth. are they concerned about how the public views this? i think not. the money making factor far outweighs their morals. honestly, to watch this show would have dramatically effected me. i know they are paid to have these bodies. i know the majority of them are depressed, self-absorbed, smoking, eating disorder, relationship starved women but my emotional side says, "yea, but she has such great abs. wish i had them."

please consider this my rant. let's ban victoria secrets, and every company owned by their parent company.
brenda
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Nov-17-01, 17:32

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 197/184/145 Female 5 ft 6 in
BF:45%/32%/22%
Progress: 25%

VS would do themselves a big favour if they did use some more real looking bodies to show off their product. The stuff they probably showed (didn't watch it myself but caught the bizzare commercial) is the more risque stuff.

I happen to have been lucky enough to find comfortable, reasonable, pretty and not matronly underthings from Victoria Secret in my size, and wouldn't trade it for the world. It's exceptional quality stuff. Having something pretty (not matronly) on is one of those feel good inside just for me treats. I decided a long time ago that even though I don't look like a super model, there is absolutely no reason why I should wear the underwear my mother does!

A lot of people perceive VS to be a place to buy "naughty" things. Check out their web site some time and you will be surprised at the wide range of very pretty and fun everyday stuff. And yes, they even have a line of cotton things.

While I hate their marketing tactics, I love their clothes.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Nov-17-01, 19:17

Stats: 200/174/135 Female 5ft 3in
BF:(Postpartum)
Progress: 40%
Default I agree.

I like some of their things, too. My husband loves me in some of their things, too. Sorry but the ban is off in this house...
Sorry to hear you have been emotional lately "itsjoyful." Are you having difficulty with the diet or is it personal? I certainly have off days and get very down on myself too - this web site has really helped keep me focused on the WOL on those days.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Nov-17-01, 19:48

Plan: IN LIMBO!!!!!
Stats: 145/137/126
BF:28.3%/22%/18%
Progress: 42%
Default reply

i'm alright, just wanting to lose faster, but the emotional stuff is more related to family issues. thank you, though, for the concern.
i don't agree with vc tactics. their ad is "what is sexy" and show nothing but tall, skinny, silicone filled women. it's just not right. i understand the theory, but i don't like it. dior, calvin klein, and donna karen make some pretty sexy, lacy, provocative stuff without consistently showing me on tv what i am not.
just my 2cents.
brenda
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Nov-17-01, 21:36

I am not against VS or their underwear and I too like to think I can wear good quality, sexy underwear to make me feel good.

HOWEVER, I don't like the idea that what is sexy is ONLY those tall, leggy, very thin girls.

That's why I think the designers should start designing for all body types and show some of those body types on the catwalk.