Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Apr-30-04, 11:54
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%
Exclamation Help! Major scale withdrawals!

I exiled the bathroom scale to the hall closet for upsetting me on Sunday. Now it's practically SCREAMING to be let out.

I was able to get my jeans on right out of the dryer this morning without a struggle, and I'm dying to see if I've lost anything. I promised myself I wouldn't let the scale loose for at LEAST another week....

<stomping foot in frustration>
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Apr-30-04, 11:57
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Step away from the scale and nobody gets hurt!

It's too late now, anyway, since you have to weigh yourself first thing in the morning, after using the facilities, before ingesting anything. Not even a sip of water.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Apr-30-04, 13:08
Fully Caffeinated

That's when the urge hits, after the first urge is taken care of. I used to keep the scale right front and center in the "powder room". It's a small room, so it's hard NOT to step on it. It is nice to not trip over it. I'm sure ignoring it will get easier, and it seems to be behaving itself for now....
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Apr-30-04, 13:11

Plan: Undecided atm
Stats: 162/000/115 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 345%

Two words... Sledge hammer.

Go on and take a bash at the evil scale, you will feel much better and the temptation to look will definately be gone when you are done.

Jenn
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Apr-30-04, 13:18
Fully Caffeinated

I would, but the temptation to bash would be less satisfying picturing the $49.95 the scale cost going down the drain... then again, it WOULD be cheaper than therapy!!!
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Apr-30-04, 13:20

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

Who says taking a sledgehammer to your scale isn't therapy?

What would Dr. Phil say?
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Apr-30-04, 16:13

Plan: gen. low carb/Atkins
Stats: 137/110/112 Female 5ft 3in
BF:
Progress: 108%

Just get on the scale, already! Why is it considered virtuous to avoid the scale? Go ahead and weigh early and often. Isn't it better to know where you stand than to build up the suspense of a weekly or monthly weighin? If you weigh often, you get used to the fact that it's not a straight line down, but a series of drops and bounces, like the stock market. It's the trend that matters. If I only weighed occasionally, I would be haunted by the thought that I had done so during a "bounce" -- I like lots of weights so I can average them out. It's always better to know the truth.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Apr-30-04, 16:13
Fully Caffeinated

I already "Dr Philled" myself about it. That's why it's in the closet! It made me so frustrated to see the number fluctuate from day to day, not move FAST enough downward, and generally cause me to be to harsh on myself. I had one of those "How's that workin' for ya?" moments and put it away...
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Apr-30-04, 16:24
Fully Caffeinated

Downscale-- because I was driving myself nuts. I used to, as CAD says to do, weigh daily and average for the week. It's just gotten so the number set my mood for the day. I don't NEED more stress.

I don't see it as a virtue, just one less hassle for the morning.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Apr-30-04, 17:02
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I have a solution for you! You've been weighing from the bottom up every day, tomorrow weigh from the top down! Yes! Put the scales on your head. I'll bet your reading will be far more satisfactory!
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Apr-30-04, 17:34

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%
Default I weigh every day

And I'm proud of it . Actually, I find my fluctuations are more related to my menstrual cycle (which is long at over 30 days). So weekly averaging doesn't work for me. But I do watch my highs and lows for the month and track my overall progress (up or down).

I've been weighing every day for so long, though, that I'm quite used to the fluctuations.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Apr-30-04, 17:34
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

I don't get obsessed with needing to weigh a lot. I think it is because I am one of those people who looks fatter than they actually weigh, so it is more easy for me to see how your weight doesn't mean much at all. Body composition is way more important.

My sister is 5'7 and 150 pounds - wears a 7/9, doesn't look fat.
I am 5'5 and almost 135 pounds - I wear a 9/11 and look quite "fluffy" for my size.

So height, muscle mass, these all greatly affect how fat or thin you are... weight means nothing. Even clothing size might not matter much. A taller person wears a larger size than a shorter person would at the same body fat % level.

However, when I do weigh I do it like a freak show - take off all clothes, go to the bathroom, don't eat/drink anything, etc.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Apr-30-04, 17:48
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
However, when I do weigh I do it like a freak show - take off all clothes, go to the bathroom, don't eat/drink anything, etc.

There's another way to weigh?
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Apr-30-04, 18:50
Fully Caffeinated

I also weigh first thing in the morning right between the "bathroom business of the morning" and the shower. Holding my breath.

Intellectually, I know fluctuations are normal. I know about body composition, the fact that mucle weighs more but looks smaller, the TOM issues, etc..That's not the problem.

The problem is that I'm losing so slowly, I don't see a shift in the number at ALL from day to day... it's a slower process than that. To make matters worse, I know I should weigh ONCE, but I catch myself "just checking" during the day. Even though I KNOW that's not my "real" weight, it's a bummer, but I can't STOP... So...into the closet.

I'm happy for those of you who aren't obsessed with the number, and can sympathize with those of you who are morbidly fascinated like me. I just know that the curiousity and "suspense" if you will is less unpleasant than fighting a number every day.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Apr-30-04, 19:19

Plan: Undecided atm
Stats: 162/000/115 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 345%

I feel your pain potato. I was too obsessed with my scale for a while. I would jump on it first thing in the morning, after ever pee, every meal, before and after showers (I just wanted to see if I weighed more soaking wet) Heck if I had been a dude I probably would have stood on my scale while taking a leak just to see if I could catch the scale moving.

Jenn