Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Apr-30-04, 09:18
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 198/162/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 62%
Cool A little variety from standard salad greens

Just a little note to point out a couple of things that add a nice flavor variation to salads...particularly for newbies who have to be stricter with carbs.

Arugala...a semi-bitter-nutty tasting lettuce that offers a hugely different taste than regular salads. You can buy it alone or as a blend in most markets. It's a personal favorite.

Shitake Mushroom & roasted garlic dressing by Maple Grove Farms of
Vermont - 1 carb per serving and offers a nice change of pace. Readily available in NE but have to have my mother ship it out here (oregon) because I havent found it anywhere yet. Very nice oriental-type flavor...the only one of it's type that doesnt pack a ton of sugar.

Personally like these two together with slivered almonds and crumbled bleu cheese.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Apr-30-04, 09:30

Plan: Atkins /NHE/CKD
Stats: 289/219/200 Male 5' 8"
BF:41%/20%/18%
Progress: 79%

Good post, I love a Vinegar and oil dressing I make with Flax oil,
Rice wine vinegar, Splenda, sesame seeds and a touch of low sodium soy sauce.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Apr-30-04, 10:23

Plan: Undecided atm
Stats: 162/000/115 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 345%

YUM arugula... one of my favorites! My mom always told me a colorful plate is a healthy plate. Although now I do a low-carb version of it, I still tend to aim for a plate of art. Arugula mixed with lighter leaf lettuce and spinach, red pepper strips, shredded purple cabbage, mushrooms, cucumbers and sliced green olives are a favorite salad of mine.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Apr-30-04, 12:15

Stats: 229/205/170 Female 5'6"
BF:I have Body Fat!??
Progress: 41%

Hehe! I can't think of arugula and not think of the SG-1 episode where Maybourne and O'Neill were stranded on a moon and Maybourne was eating some weed he said tasted a lot like arugula. It made him crazy! LOL

I think one thing a lot of people on Induction get stuck in with their salads is the thinking the salad needs to just be made up of greens. This is soooo not true! There are a lot of veggies allowed on Induction that can be combined in any manner to make a salad. Years ago I came to the thinking that lettuce is a non-food. It has basically only water and fiber, with little nutrient value. Since then I rarely use the stuff. I do like a little romaine in my salads, but very little. Mostly they're made from sprouts, parsley, spinach, radishes, celery, green peppers, mushrooms, tomato, a bit of onion, cucumber, and sometimes green olives. YUM!!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Apr-30-04, 16:02

Plan: CAD maintenance
Stats: // Female 63
BF:
Progress: 123%

Endive is another really good salad veggie. When I was on induction, it saved me a lot of carbs because I used it in place of onion.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, May-01-04, 13:06
Registered Member

Stats: 238/228/130 Female 5"2
BF:
Progress: 9%

I have found if you fry bacon till its really crispy and add it to your salad it adds loads of flavour and a nice variety in texture.....yummy!!!!