Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Apr-29-04, 09:42
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/gastric bypass
Stats: 278/130/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 94%
Default Hair falling out

One more question for today. Anyone have trouble with their hair falling out. I did this right after gastric surgery but it has started again recently. Any suggestions? Someone said I might be low on protein???? Typical DAy is either a protein shake for Breakfast or eggs. LC bread only 2X a week, Lunch is Artichoke, or protein shake (if eggs were breakfast), boiled egg, celery with Cream cheese, Dinner is one of my LC veggie/meat casseroles, Meat, veggies, 1/2C lc spagetti sauce, and cheese, Diet jello dessert. I also have salami and or cheese through day if hungry. My protein shakes are High in protein. Keto brand. What gives????Not enough fat????
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Apr-29-04, 12:31

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 229/205/170 Female 5'6"
BF:I have Body Fat!??
Progress: 41%

Hiya! This does happen sometimes. And basically there's nothing you can do--it will pass, and your hair will most likely come back in fuller and healthier than ever.

You see, any time our bodies go through a huge trauma or stress, it's not uncommon for our hair to start falling out within the next couple of months. I did that every time I had a child, and had a double-whammy of it a few years ago after going through a super stressful time with my husband being sick, then giving birth a few months later.

For some people, the carb withdrawal causes the body enough stress to do this, and that's why it does sometimes happen on this WOE. Don't worry, though as it's a temporary thing.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Apr-29-04, 12:44

Stats: 151/133/134 Female 5'5.5
BF:Getting better!
Progress: 106%

There are suppliments that you can try that might help you, but this is a very common problem for people that are on LC diets, or any diet for that matter. Let me see if I can't dig up the names of some supplimetns for you to try. Give me an hour or so.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Apr-29-04, 12:53

This is from the Atkins Wesite:

It is natural to go through periodic phases of shedding hair. But if this is an ongoing problem, make sure you're not restricting calories or skipping meals. Any weight-loss regimen may lower your metabolic rate, which can result in hair loss. Unlike calorie-restricted diets, Atkins is the least likely of any weight-loss program to contribute to hair loss because the higher caloric content keeps the body from behaving as though it is in a starvation mode. When that happens, your metabolism is lowered as a survival mechanism.

Alternatively, you might be low in some specific nutrients that could affect your hair loss. You might try adding biotin, N-acetyl-cysteine (NAC), glutathione and lecithin to your diet. If excessive hair loss occurs, see your doctor.

Here are some suppliments:

Potassium 50mg
Hair- It is in orange letters and you can find it at walmart.
Nisim- A shampoo that can slow the rate of hairloss until your body adjusts to the change in diet.
SILICA
Biotin-Up to 4000units

Try this link for more info too: http://www.lowcarbluxury.com/newsle...07.html#letters
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Apr-29-04, 12:54

I forgot one other suppliment it is called Ultra Nourishair.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Apr-29-04, 14:04

Stats: 135/135/115 Female 5'5''
BF:
Progress:

I had never thought of that---but I have been losing hair these past couple of weeks. Hopefully it will pass---I have noticed my hair is shinier
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Apr-29-04, 14:36

Plan: Atkins/LC
Stats: 276.4/266.6/200 Female 5'8
BF:I've got some!!!
Progress: 13%

If you feel like you are losing in more hair then normal, watch your protein intake closely, it can some times put a stress on your body. B-12 or B-6 are really good for you....check it out, it will change in a few weeks! I've been dealing with this since I was 14, so its common!

Erinleigh