Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Apr-28-04, 11:16
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 270/230/140 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 31%
Default can i use my birthday as one big cheat day?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

my birthday is coming up and i want to be able to celebrate it good. i've been dieting for like three months lost some weight, not as much as i'd like, but i wont give up.

however, its my birthday and iwant to eat a really big indian food meal with nan and lentils and tandoori (sp) chicken and samosas.... the whole nine.... and I want a big slice of cheese cake to follow.

i know its not what i should do, but i've been really almost good. I havent eating foods outside atkins/ and this here site recepies.....

advice honest advice
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Apr-28-04, 11:27

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 130.5/119.5/115 Female 4'10.5"
BF:32%/32%/22%
Progress: 71%

This is how I look at this:

If you don't mind what the scale will say and you can get right back on plan then have at it. Sometimes days like that can really make it hard to stick to this WOE.

Just make sure you still drink all your water, if not extra, and do your normal exercise, if not extra that day too.

Good luck and happy bday!
Jenny
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Apr-28-04, 11:31
PuertoRican Princess

Stats: 299/236/135 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 38%

Don't look at it as a cheat, but a reward meal for doing so good between now and your birthday. Just be sure to get right back on the wagon the very next day.

I know I plan on doing so for mine in October.

#4   ^
Old Wed, Apr-28-04, 11:34

Stats: 282.6/273.1/225 Male 6' 3"
BF:34/33/17%
Progress: 16%

My birthday is in just over a week, I plan on 'rewarding' myself with a big dinner.

My fav food has always been my mom's spaghetti, so she's making that for my dinner along with a birthday cake. Even while eating that though, she's going to do her best to keep it lower carb. She won't put sugar in the spaghetti sauce, which she used to do and she's using a sugar-free + cool whip frosting instead of the pure sugar 'OMG MY TEETH' normal frosting.

I don't think I'll have any problems jumping back on the WOE, its for my birthday and only my birthday
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Apr-28-04, 11:38
Registered Member

BF:
Default AF wife, thank you

**sigh** i guess i just wanted to hear someone else tell me that.

but on the flip side i have to be prepared to hear others say noooooo thats bad.

but you're right. its a reward. and the next day is back to normal.

the scale that i've been using anyway is sooooo on another level of being weird. so wont be using or trusing that scale anyway. i'll do some measurements and just see how the clothes are fitting. thats the only real way to trust that you're doing something right. the scale and sticks and spit test.... kinda for the crazier birds.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Apr-28-04, 11:46

Plan: Strict Atkins
Stats: 290/195/150 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 68%

I can't really say say much, as I have not had any cheats, but I know that on my birthday next month I am not going to cheat, for me the biggest present I could ever hope for is this way of life and my body.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Apr-28-04, 11:47

Stats: 300/291.5/150 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 6%

As long as it doesn't turn in "cheat month" you should be fine.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Apr-28-04, 11:53

Plan: Undecided atm
Stats: 162/000/115 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 345%

Enjoy your birthday... It only comes once a year.

Jenn
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Apr-28-04, 12:08
Registered Member

BF:
Default thank y'all for the support

my birthday only comes once a year.

and it would never turn into a cheat month. i'm to commited to following this thing all the way through.

this woe/ wol has stabalized me in so many ways, and i think the weightloss if any is just a by product.

its my birthday and for one day i can pig out on all the bad stuff and wake up the next day and get back on track
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Apr-28-04, 12:18
Registered Member

Stats: 213/168/140 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 62%

My b-day is tomorrow, and I'm cheating! Heck yeah I'm cheating, and it's a planned cheat. I've even made my mine-goal for the month of April, but I'm not gonna go crazy and make it a cheat weekend or anything. Friday it's right back on track. I'm having b-day cake tomorrow and being taken out for lunch and dinner. Im going to enjoy my day without fear of "oh gosh, I'm falling back into my old ways....blah, blah, blah" because that's not me anymore.

Enjoy your b-day. It's only one day, then get right back with it.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Apr-28-04, 12:19

Plan: Strict Atkins
Stats: 290/195/150 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 68%

for me I can't have a cheat as I am an all or nothing person. I would not be able to get back on the wagon.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Apr-28-04, 12:21
PuertoRican Princess

Stats: 299/236/135 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 38%

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittysf
**sigh** i guess i just wanted to hear someone else tell me that.

but on the flip side i have to be prepared to hear others say noooooo thats bad.

but you're right. its a reward. and the next day is back to normal.

the scale that i've been using anyway is sooooo on another level of being weird. so wont be using or trusing that scale anyway. i'll do some measurements and just see how the clothes are fitting. thats the only real way to trust that you're doing something right. the scale and sticks and spit test.... kinda for the crazier birds.

Your gonna get some people that will say, Oh no don't do it cause it'll lead to more cheating. Look, you know yourself better than anyone. If you know that it will lead to more cheat cause you know you don't have that will power, than don't do it. Wait till you hit goal. It's an individual choice and you don't need permission to do, say, or eat what you want.

Either ways, we'll be here to support ya. I had cake on my son's 2nd birthday last Friday, and I plan on having some in June for DH's and August for my oldest son and Oct for mine. So, once a year, yeah right, but I have control of my food now, it doesn't control me any longer.

SO hang in there, be strong and take control.

#13   ^
Old Wed, Apr-28-04, 12:26

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 178/147/140 Female 5'2"
BF:Haven't/a/Clue
Progress: 82%

I've heard it called a "planned indulgence" rather than a "cheat", but however you want to phrase it - it should be an intelligent decision/choice.

Make a plan and stick to it.

Don't go into the situation without knowing how to come out the other end.

I haven't done this, yet, and I am not sure what will happen when my birthday rolls around - I'll be in entirely a different situation - we are moving, likely in July we'll be driving right across the continent with two dogs and our son, so I'll be working hard to maintain this lifestyle and being forced to visit fast food establishments, so my birthday may come and go the following month, and I may be working on getting back on track, rather than planning an indulgence day.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Apr-28-04, 12:26

Stats: 148.5/137/130 Female 64 in
BF:27.2
Progress: 62%

I cheated for my Birthday last month. Go for it but don't be surprised if you can't completely follow thru. I had planned a big cheat complete with corn on the cob, baked potato and birthday cake. The corn was good, the baked potato was alright and I couldn't finish it and I didn't even want the cake. The woe makes you lose you taste for cheat foods. Good luck, have fun, enjoy and Happy Birthday!
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Apr-28-04, 12:32

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 246/198/150 Female 62inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

Find something you want more then food and indulge in that.
You can have an excellent night on the town and a wonderful meal within a healthy lowcarb plan.
Its not like you are on a 800cal a day monastic diet.
First day of rest of your life and all that-easy to start counting on birthday. Food doesn't fix anything.