Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Nov-13-01, 07:12

Plan: Atkins KISS
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Default A discussion of fears.

Can you help/relate or have a fear to share?

Fear 1
Some mornings I fear I won't get hungry -
I fear this because I don't enjoy eating and just won't eat until hungry. I don't fear this because of my ED history. I fear this because I know (right?) if I don't eat my metabolism will be low all day.
I always eventually do get hungry and eat.
Still the fear remains even after years of lc.

Q. If you wake up not hungry and don't eat - will your metabolism still slow down? Or does it slow down only if you wake up hungry and you don't eat? In other words, if you ONLY eat when hungry are you messing up your metabolism? Or is this wonderful "listening to the needs of my body?".

Fear 2

Sometimes right before and during eating (in the first few moments)- my heart beats fast and I fear I won't ever feel full. I'm afraid I'll just continue to be hungry and eat and eat until I have eaten too much, and I'll feel completely at the mercy of my "never full" stomach. I slow down my eating at that time and then I do get full and I'm so relieved. But sometimes the fear is still there.

Q. Anyone else re-live fears like this from their "fat days"? The fear of never feeling full (but then thank goodness you do?).
-------------------------
I believe these 2 fears are rooted in my history. Always being told to eat breakfast & years of eating lowfat meals and never feeling full.

Do you have answers to my Q's?
What are YOUR fears during this woe?

I love this safe place. Thanks.
Nsmith4366 "All we have to fear, is fear itself." famous quotation
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Nov-13-01, 07:56
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%
Smile

My fear is probably history related as well.

1. I fear I'm doing LC wrong and that I'll gain weight without knowing (I weigh myself only on Saturdays).

Know logically I know this can't happen. I mean, I am in touch with my body. I think you can't LC without understanding your body after a while. I can tell if I'm holding water by how tight my wedding band is. I can tell by my clothes. I fret about it sometimes.

2. I also fear my family (Parents, sisters) won't ever accept me as me. If I lose my weight what will they talk about? Diets are the lifeblood of my family it seems.

This is a real fear. When I talk to my mom its about my kids and my diet. She tells me about her diet and about places she visits.
My sisters don't talk to me anymore. They don't want to hear about the diet so they don't talk to me, even when I ask about my nephews and nieces or their work. My family won't change...
so why worry?

I know what you mean about not getting hungry. I don't know if its the right thing to do but I eat breakfast wether I'm hungry or not. Usually, because I eat it slowly, I start to get hungry and nowadays I want to eat. Maybe I set an eating pattern?

Maybe if you drink water alot during your meal you will get the full sensation and the fear will go away? I know with me, I like quality not quantity... but I've been that way since I was a kid.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Nov-13-01, 09:33
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%
Smile some humor

Kopophobia is the fear of exhaustion. Honest
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Nov-13-01, 09:46

BF:
Progress:

Great site. See list of phobias. What do YOU have?

http://dmoz.org/Health/Mental_Healt...nxiety/Phobias/
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Nov-13-01, 11:23

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/218/144
BF:48/42.3/22
Progress: 26%

Just before I started this WOL I was panic stricken. I could not leave my house. I was barely functioning at work. I got a prescription from my doctor for antidepressants..AGAIN...and I also took Ativan 2mg for panic attacks.
I have in the past had some ED...I would not call myself a full fledged Bulimic...but I used to purge quite regularly...tried the laxitives, but they only made me sick.

Since starting this WOL I have not had one panic attack. I have not felt depressed. I do not binge eat...or purge. I feel very much in control of myself...hence my life has greatly improved in a very short amount of time.

The only fear I still carry is that I may not reach goal. And if I do, will I keep up with this WOE. I tell myself that I will. Why would I go back to being out of control. I was miserable, and quite moderately depressed. I do not want to go back to that for anything...not even the pleasures of carbohydrates. I am an addict...and I will always be an addict. Just as those that are addicted to drugs or alcohol...I must stay away from them always!

I do not miss those extra pounds, or the headaches, belly aches, back aches, panic attacks, or depression...and really ....I don't miss the carbs that much....So here is hoping that we get there....AND STAY THERE!!!!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Nov-13-01, 11:45
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

From what I've read and know about living with an ED - and that includes bullemics, anorexics and compulsive overeaters - a program that that has you eating three "regular" meals a day at regular times within your chosen plan - and a lot of people seem to choose low carb - along with a 12 Step Program, seems to work wonders. Accepting this as part of a new WOL helps take away some of the fear. They learn to eat, learn to be grateful, work a program and learn that nothing bad happens. A 12 Step group is a wonderful thing if you're willing to go the distance!

As you pointed out, it can take years to overcome an ED, but I've met people who work the plan and have made great progress towards recovery.

Karen
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Nov-13-01, 15:43

Plan: atkins
Stats: 188/139/140
BF:
Progress: 102%

I have been able to maintain my weight for almost 3 months but I still have a huge fear that one day my body will reject this WOE and poof the weight will come back on. I guess its just a day to day thing, exercise, eat right and drink lots of water and eventually U start trusting that it works.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Nov-13-01, 15:53

Plan: Dr. R. Atkins
Stats: 325/?????/170
BF:
Progress: 23%

My fear is failure on this new way of eating. I fear that I will not lose an ounce and all of my hard work is for nothing.
My fear is so strong, that I have not weighed myself since I have been on induction - 8 days. I do not know if I have lost or gained or stayed the same. I am afraid of numbers, me an intelligent woman afraid of 3 digets that rule and ruined my life.

My fears are so strong, that I have told NO ONE about this diet because I do not want to defend my choices and I do not want someone to tell me that know someone who failed on it.

I just know that I am so tired of being so heavy - let's be honest and call it what it is: F A T ! I have to lose this weight as I can not stand it anymore.

In the back of my mind, there is that ever present voice saying
"it is not working." I wish I could make that go away.

A Thin Me!
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Nov-13-01, 17:21

BF:
Progress:
Default Measure your success in 10s.

A thin me! Try this. Tell someone you want them to weigh you. Don't say why. Tell them to do it ONLY this way.

You stand on the scale and look ONLY up.
Play this game...

Ask them to ONLY answer your questions yes or no and to never tell you the actual number on the scale.

Ask them
Is my weight lower than 200? (or whatever weight you are SURE you do NOT weigh)
and then go down by 10's ONLY.

I did it this way -

Is my weightlower than 190?
'' 180?
"170?
"160?
all the way to 140...I started getting nervous.
Is my weight lower than 150...? very scared,
YES!
is my weight lower than 140?
No.

Okay - immediately when you discover the "10's" you are BETWEEN just step off the scale/FAST. Tell the person thanks and you don't ever want to know what the exact number is.

Measure your success in 10s.

This is a slower way to learn you are losing...but you won't fret every pound this way...you'll just STAY determined, until you are SOMEWHERE between the 10's you WANT to be between...!!!

Get it? Do it with someone you trust.
This way you can feel like you are continuing your journey without being RULED by those three individual numbers.

Might be a way to at least start weighing anyway.
Good luck.