Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Nov-11-01, 21:37

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 207/190/120 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 20%
Question Asthma is better, hearburn gone...

Before I started on this diet, I had really, really bad heartburn. Sometimes a glass of water would give me heartburn. I would go through a huge bottle of antacid every couple of weeks. After going on the Atkin's Diet I NEVER have heartburn. Also, after being on the diet for a month or so I notice that my asthma is much less severe. I'm just wondering what health benefits everyone else is experiencing.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Nov-12-01, 22:35

Plan: Schwarzbein prin
Stats: 158/155/120
BF:
Progress:

Same, same. I use my inhaler less. Never was severe asthma, just exertion-related, though. No heartburn, burping, intestinal(shall we say) problems, no more joint aches, MUCH QUICKER RECOVERY TIME FOR MUSCLES after working out, much less muscle fatigue WHILE working out, sleep like THE DEAD, More energy, less energy-related and blood-sugar related mood swings, less (or NO) PMS, less peri-menopausal symptoms, (my night sweats are all but gone) , libido improved (is this getting too personal for ya?), I even havew less of a 'startle response' to everything, more calm and serene.... let's see.

That enough for ya? Oh, yeah, am able to meditate more easily. No, I'm not some nut, it just really improves your mental health.
Can do yoga poses longer (the HARD ones). I think this is because our muscles are finally getting some PROTEIN to work with!

Now, mind you, my hubby tried LC for 6 wks. and felt TERRIBLE, so YMMV, but he can see the change in moi, so....
yb
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Nov-13-01, 08:49

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Re: Asthma is better, hearburn gone...

Quote:
Originally posted by mabacacia
I'm just wondering what health benefits everyone else is experiencing.

Health Benefits:

No more headaches
No more backaches
No more PMS
No more insomnia / light sleeping
No more mid afternoon exhaustion
No more Crohn's symptoms (my boyfriend)
No more grouchiness in the morning (my boyfriend)

All in all we'll be LCing long after goal is reached. It's a great WOL
Nat
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Nov-13-01, 12:17
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%
Cool Isn't it great living without Asthma!!

I love the fact I don't run out of breath any more.
I have much less joint pain.
I also get allergies less.
I love the energy you get on this LC!!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Nov-13-01, 22:41

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 207/190/120 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 20%
Talking Asthma is better, heartburn gone...

Thanks so much for all the responses. It's good to know that this is a really good option for alot of people. I haven't had any blood work done since before I started this diet, but it will be interesting to see if it will change anything. Before Atkins, I had some really extensive blood work done on the advice of my Chiropractor. Everything was out of whack. Some things high, some things low. After I have been back on the diet for a few months I'm going to have some more blood work done and see what has changed. By the way, my Chiropractor is the one that introduced me to the Atkins Diet. How did everyone else hear about it?

#6   ^
Old Wed, Nov-14-01, 08:00

Plan: Atkins,PP
Stats: 202/147/120
BF:
Progress: 67%

Yeah!

I dont have asthma experience but I do have some heart pains previously...

Once i go on Atkins.....no more heart pains, I can run faster, I have more energy....I stay more focused...~ i feel lighter...

Imagine, once I tried upping my carbs a little and reduced my food intake during lunch. the rest of the day, i was sooo tired sitting on my office desk!!! Never to commit such a mistake again!

To me, this diet promises I can eat whenever i am hungry, I can lose my fats easily....even though I hardly exercise, and at least my boss wont catch me sleeping on my desk!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Nov-14-01, 08:28
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 154/148/133
BF:
Progress: 29%

Hiya

Apart from more energy etc , my biggest achievement is not to pass wind, (you know that thundering and terrible smells)from all that low fat starchy foods I work with the public so it is a relief to not have to excuse myself and go to the ladies or to stand and pretend you don't smell anything if one should slip. I know it is a digusting subject but to me it is a big deal. bye bye nasty niffs.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Nov-14-01, 16:05
Don't dream it be it

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 292.4/238.4/165 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%
Talking

No more getting down in the dumps and not knowing why!!!!

Really, I used to get mopey for no apparent reason. Now I think that it was the reaction of low blood sugar after a sugar high.

I used to mope around and my husband would say, "What's wrong?" and I would say, "I don't know."

Now I feel great all the time without the highs and lows.

Elihnig