Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Apr-26-04, 18:18

Plan: low carb
Stats: 150/150/120 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default it may be time to stop lowcarbing

I've been lowcarbing for about 2 and a half months and have lost about 20 lbs. bringing me to about 125 on a 5'7 frame. I never meant to lose this much weight. I'm 19 years old and my friends, boyfriend, and mother all want me to stop. I've been eating about 20 carbs a day and about 1000 calories, just because I'm rarely hungry. Today I ate a bunch of carbs to make everybody happy and hopefully gained at least a pound or too. The trouble is, all the bread and cookies I ate didn't even taste good. I want to go back to low carbing. Do i need to stop?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Apr-26-04, 18:30

Plan: Atkins Nutritional Plan
Stats: 194/165/145 Female 66
BF:39/37/28
Progress: 59%

Maybe it's time for moderate-carbing. Did you read what Dr Atkins said about the plan for maintenance?
When in doubt, go back to the book.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Apr-26-04, 18:33
ArtificiallyFlavored

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 260/252/200 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 13%

You could increase the number of calories and carbs that you are eating without going back to high carb starchy items (bread, cakes, cookies, sweets). There are healthier ways to increase your caloric intake as well as your carbs. Have you tried adding in some of the higher carb fruits and veggies? Without knowing what you usually eat, it is hard to make specific recomendations.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Apr-26-04, 18:33

Plan: My own, post Atkins
Stats: 180/131/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 123%

of course you don't need to stop. It's a very healthy lifestyle (lifestyle being long-term.) You should EAT MORE (find the number of calories it takes for you to maintain rather than lose.) And add in more healthy carbohydrates (whole grains, vegetables, etc.) It would not be advisable to add back in bread or cookies (refined grains and s-u-g-a-r.)
Maybe you should read something like atkins for life.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Apr-26-04, 18:34
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

I agree check out Atkins fo rlife or another maintananc ebook. Low carb is ment to be a healthy life style, not a crash diet you go off of once you reach goal.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Apr-26-04, 19:07

Stats: 282.6/273.1/225 Male 6' 3"
BF:34/33/17%
Progress: 16%

Definitely time to go into the maintenance phase and up your calories a lot. You should be getting at least 1600 calories.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Apr-26-04, 19:12

Stats: 293/257/155 Female 5' 8"
BF:
Progress: 26%

Why not add back in whole grains and lower carb fruits? Not sure why you'd have to stop lowcarbing.

There are so many healthy things you could add back in without eating starchy foods again. Otherwise, you'll just end up back with 20 to lose again.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Apr-27-04, 00:10
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cococarby
I've been lowcarbing for about 2 and a half months and have lost about 20 lbs. bringing me to about 125 on a 5'7 frame. I never meant to lose this much weight. I'm 19 years old and my friends, boyfriend, and mother all want me to stop. I've been eating about 20 carbs a day and about 1000 calories, just because I'm rarely hungry. Today I ate a bunch of carbs to make everybody happy and hopefully gained at least a pound or too. The trouble is, all the bread and cookies I ate didn't even taste good. I want to go back to low carbing. Do i need to stop?

You shouldn't be maintaining on such a low carbohydrate amount when your metabolic resistance is obviously so low anyway. I really suggest buying and reading atkins for life.

Controlling carbs isn't for losing weight, it is for gaining health primarily. Weight is a symptom of bad health, so low carb often causes weight loss.
Don't stop the low carb just because you are at goal.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Apr-27-04, 01:08
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

I can see why your family is concerned!

Eating 20 grams of carbs and 1000 calories a day or eating bread and cookies are both dangerous to your health.

I don't want to come off harshly but I have to. You should be following the maintenance portion of Atkins to stabilize your weight and to develop healthy eating habits to take you through the rest of your life. Take out the book and please read the chapter.

I'm sure you don't want to develop a "binge and diet" habit that will lead you to a lifetime of struggle and possibly an eating disorder.

Please take care of yourself!

Karen
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Apr-27-04, 10:52

Plan: Atkins 72 Version
Stats: 175.5/123.5/115 Female 5'3 I grew an Inch!
BF:??/21%/19-20%
Progress: 86%

YOU DONT NEED TO STOP! You need healthy carbs, fruits veggies, whole grain breads and pastas.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Apr-27-04, 18:11

Plan: South beach (modified)
Stats: 185/154/150 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 89%

I agree with Karen - short and to the point!

You will low carb, but induction level carbs were meant for 2 weeks!
If you don't have the book there is plenty of advice here - at the maintenance list and elsewhere - what to eat to be healthy, carb controlled for life and be happy with it! Good luck
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Apr-28-04, 17:01

Plan: my own thing
Stats: 116/109/110 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 117%

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcastro
You should be getting at least 1600 calories.

How did you reach that conclusion? Just curious.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Apr-28-04, 17:42

Stats: 229/205/170 Female 5'6"
BF:I have Body Fat!??
Progress: 41%

Quote:
Maybe you should read something like atkins for life.

I was going to suggest the very same thing. I read the original 1972 DANDR, then read Atkins for Life. If I wasn't already sold by reading the original, Atkins for Life really did it. It's excellent advice about how to maintain a healthy, low-carb (as in no junk food type) lifestyle.

I really think Karen hit the nail on the head, too.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Apr-28-04, 19:24

Stats: 282.6/273.1/225 Male 6' 3"
BF:34/33/17%
Progress: 16%

Quote:
How did you reach that conclusion? Just curious.

Can't remember the exact source, but I recall reading in one of the Atkins books (either New Diet Revolution or Essentials) that eating ~1200 calories per day or less can put you into 'starvation mode' and really isn't enough to maintain energy levels. Its very easy to lose just as much weight (or even more) by eating ~1600 calories, because your metabolism stays up and you have more energy to exercise.

I found this to be true for myself during the 2nd month of my diet.

As a male, I should be getting at least 1800 calories on this diet. For a week, I averaged 1500 calories per day and lost 4lbs in that week. The next week I averaged 2200 caloriers per day and lost 8lbs. I did find myself having more energy and I did feel a lot better throughout the day. All I did was add 100-200 calories to each meal.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Apr-29-04, 07:19

Plan: 40-30-30
Stats: 205.5/201.5/185 Female 5'5"
BF:48%/47%/20%
Progress: 20%

I have some quick suggestions -- you could you try adding in more calories in the form of protein shakes with healthy fruit, natural yogurt, big salads, and vegetable juices (home-extracted). That could help a lot.

Do you have a goal weight you'd like to gain to?