Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Apr-26-04, 13:37

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%
Default Study supports high school plans to cut out fizzy drinks

http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/Londo.../24/434203.html

EMMA ROSS, AP 2004-04-24 03:11:42

LONDON -- School programs discouraging carbonated drinks appear to be effective in reducing obesity among children, a study suggests. A high intake of sweetened carbonated drinks probably contributes to childhood obesity and there is a growing movement against soft drinks in schools. But until now, there have been no studies showing efforts to cut children's soft drink consumption would do any good.

The study, outlined this week on the website of the British Medical Journal, found a one-year "ditch the fizz" campaign discouraging both sweetened and diet soft drinks led to a decrease in the percentage of elementary school children who were overweight or obese.

The improvement occurred after a modest reduction in consumption -- less than a can a day.

Representatives of the soft drink industry contested the implications of the results.

The study "reduced the average daily consumption of carbonated soft drinks by about 150 millilitres, or 35 calories -- half the reduction was in diet carbonated soft drinks. This represents about two per cent of a child's calorie intake, not a significant amount," the British Soft Drink Association said in a statement.

The group said carbonated drinks provide only a fraction of children's daily calories and therefore should not be blamed for an epidemic in childhood obesity.

However, other experts were impressed.

"If a simple targeted message aimed at kids can decrease development of obesity, by whatever means, that's groundbreaking," said Dr. David Ludwig, who runs a pediatric obesity clinic at Children's Hospital in Boston.

Previous studies of anti-obesity school programs -- some costing millions of dollars -- have been disappointing. Such programs, which included reducing dietary fat or trying to get kids to exercise more, largely failed to show any meaningful impact.

The investigators studied 644 children, ages seven to 11, in six primary schools in Christchurch, England, during the 2001-2002 school year. Half the classes participated in a program discouraging both regular and diet sodas and stressing the benefits of a healthy diet, while the other half did not.

The percentage of overweight and obese children increased by 7.5 per cent in the group that did not participate and dipped by 0.2 per cent in the group that did.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Apr-26-04, 16:47
Say cheese!

Plan: Carb'n negative + IF
Stats: 123/106/111 Female 163
BF:
Progress: 142%

I can’t help but be shocked by not only what, but how much crap kids drink these days. During school holidays I quite often see boys (around 12-13 years) in the supermarket buying their drinks.…….not a can of coke or small bottle of juice but more often than not two and three litre bottles of coke, chocolate milk or orange juice. They’re obviously not intended for sharing either as those in groups will each buy their own.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Apr-26-04, 17:28
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I'm surprised they're focusing on obesity rather than behaviour and performance. These suffer, too, when kids eat sugar all day.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Apr-26-04, 17:44

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine
I'm surprised they're focusing on obesity rather than behaviour and performance. These suffer, too, when kids eat sugar all day.

Absolutely! I was impressed this year to read in the parent's handbook for my girls' school a guideline as to what an appropriate school lunch is and what items the school "discouraged" parents from including in their child's lunch. Drinks with red dye are not permitted nor are any type of sodas or carbonated drinks (the teachers can and will confiscate these items and send them home with the child at the end of the day with a note). Candy of any kind is also not permitted. Gum is allowed, but only during certain times of the day or during certain activities (believe it or not, they believe that chewing gum during a test will help a child concentrate better).
What is encouraged is: Fruit, vegetables (carrots, celery), sandwiches, crackers (okay...not the best choice, but at least it's not a straight shot of sugar), cheese and yogurt. Chips are allowed, but not encouraged. They also stressed the importance of children eating breakfast before coming to school in the morning.
They even give guidelines as to what an appropriate amount of sleep is for various age ranges (according to them, my girls need an average of 10.5 hours of sleep per night, but they probably get closer to 9.5 once they settle down after bedtime).
To tell the truth, I kind of find it a sad commentary that parents today need to be told this stuff to the point of seeing several announcements in the school newsletter over the winter regarding the fact that children need to come to school with coats, hats, mittens and boots (ie appropriate dress for the weather).
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Apr-26-04, 17:46

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%

"I'm surprised they're focusing on obesity rather than behaviour and performance. These suffer, too, when kids eat sugar all day."

They're not focusing on performance and behavior because studies "prove" there is NO link between sugar intake and ADD/ADHD or any other behavior problems. (I've heard this so many times it's sickening)

I know a lot of parents who would disagree with this....including me. On my son's first birthday, my daughter got up early and fed him his birthday cake....well, the icing off the cake. It was the first time he'd had sugar....and he was so hyper it was scarey! (Did you ever see the show "dinosaurs" where the baby ate all the sugar and then said "im vibrating".....well that was my son). He looked and acted like he was on speed!

I once read an article about how to tell if your child has ADD....and it was unbelievable! Talking about the kids being hyper early morning, then quieting down....then acting up again early afternoon....quieting down late afternoon. Then having trouble sleeping after dinner. Gee.....I wonder if anyone ever thought to check their blood sugars!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Apr-26-04, 18:54

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
(Did you ever see the show "dinosaurs" where the baby ate all the sugar and then said "im vibrating".....well that was my son).

ROTFL...Completely off topic, but I used to find that show hysterically funny and yes, I do remember that episode. My DH even wore a "Dinosaurs" t-shirt to the hospital when I delivered my first daughter that said "Not the mama" (guess he wanted to be sure there were no mistakes as to who was delivering).