Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Apr-26-04, 14:11

Plan: atkins
Stats: 190/184/145 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 13%
Unhappy 6 days and I feel so sick

the last 2 days i have felt so dizzy and sick. I've been sleeping about 18 hours a day.. i can't stay awake.. does this change when the 1st 2 weeks are over? I'm just so out of it.. and it's kind of scaring me
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Apr-26-04, 14:27

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 168/138/130 Female 5'4"
BF:?/27%/15% maybe?
Progress: 79%

I remember that in the book it said, and I did this, that if you get lightheaded and tired from loosing too fast that you can try adding an ounce of nuts or seeds. It worked for me and I think that I was about 7 days into it too. Hope that helps. I can't remember if I did peanuts or sunflower seeds, but I do recall it worked and I actually remember feeling the results rather quickly too. Dr. A said that there is no reason for you to have to feel washed out if even for a day. Good luck. Annie
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Apr-26-04, 14:29

Stats: 293/257/155 Female 5' 8"
BF:
Progress: 26%

I had this BADLY when I did induction. (all three times). The book does say to add some carbs, so you could try an extra cup of vegetables or stick it out to lose faster, but it does go away.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Apr-26-04, 14:30

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Displaced, it would help if you could post some daily menus along with any supplements/medications you may be taking, if any.
Also, are you getting plenty of water in? Dehydration can make you feel weak and dizzy as well.
Many people feel out of sorts the first 3 or 4 days, but after that feel much better.
Also, is it possible that you have some sort of virus?
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Apr-26-04, 14:32

Stats: 239/168.2/150 Female 5'7
BF:whoa boy
Progress: 80%

displaced - I had the same type of problems the first five days or so. Eat some nuts or needs- this seemed to alleviate the symptoms a bit- they went away by the end of the first week.

Best of luck to you!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Apr-26-04, 14:36

Plan: new revolution
Stats: 251/214/145 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 35%

nuts and seeds have too many carbs in them for induction
when I read atkins it stated to up your veggies a cup for a few days til you are over the weakness
also YES WATER LOTS AND LOTS OF WATER
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Apr-26-04, 14:37

Stats: 190/184/145 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 13%

ok thank you to everyone for your help. i will try some sun flower seeds.

my menu the last 2 days havent been good.. yesterday i only ate once.. but that was because i slept so long and was only up about 5 hours out of the day or so. I hate pork chops and some cabbage and had some green tea late at nite.

this morning i had 3 eggs and some cheddar cheese & a cup of coffee

thats all so far..

oh another ? i had.. does anyone drink that diet rite soda? It says zero carbs but i would think soda would have to count for something.. does anyone know?
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Apr-26-04, 15:03

Stats: 168/138/130 Female 5'4"
BF:?/27%/15% maybe?
Progress: 79%

Actually re..."nuts and seeds have too many carbs in them for induction
when I read atkins it stated to up your veggies a cup for a few days til you are over the weakness"...
If you look in DANDR (Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution) on page 140 in the paperback version, "Welcome Back: Your Old Friend Energy" it talks about ascent weakness. The next paragraph down he says, and I quote: "Usually, I advise patients who have these problems to slow down the weight loss. They should add another helping of vegetables to their evening meal or one or two ounces of nuts or seeds. Although their bodies would almost certainly adjust during the second week, there isn't any good reason for feeling washed out and sickly for even one day. After the symptoms abate, go back to the lower level of carb intake." Check it out. and good luck. Annie
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Apr-26-04, 15:47

Stats: 250/194.5/140 Female 5' 9
BF:too high i am sure
Progress: 50%

yes but that's only if you are actually eating all the food you need to be eating, it sounds like displaced wasn't eating enough in the last two days, just start eating normally and it should go away normally meaning induction foods, make sure that you do not go 6 hours without eating.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Apr-26-04, 18:20

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
my menu the last 2 days havent been good.. yesterday i only ate once.. but that was because i slept so long and was only up about 5 hours out of the day or so. I hate pork chops and some cabbage and had some green tea late at nite.
this morning i had 3 eggs and some cheddar cheese & a cup of coffee
thats all so far..

Displaced, if this is typical of how you've been eating during induction, I can understand why you may not feel so well.
It doesn't appear that you are eating enough or drinking enough and your daily carb count is well below 20 as well.
Try to eat regularly with no more than 5 waking hours between meals and definitely try to drink at least eight 8 oz. glasses of water daily (on top of coffee, tea and diet pop). Don't skip meals if there is any way you can avoid it. Pack a snack if you plan to be out and about for a long time.
Make sure you eat the minimum amount of vegetables daily as well.
Diet Rite uses liquid Splenda to sweeten it which is truly zero carbs, so you don't have to count it, but don't use it in place of water, either.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Apr-26-04, 19:57

Plan: LC
Stats: 200/000/000 Female 5.5
BF:
Progress: 100%

...:-)....there is reason for everything...Ha?.......