Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Apr-24-04, 21:00

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 265/247.5/145 Female 5'4.25"
BF:50%/46%/15%
Progress: 15%
Default Atkins seeks to cut 'cheeseburger’ image

Company launches new ad campaign centered on education
Reuters
Updated: 1:31 p.m. ET April 19, 2004
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4779834/

CHICAGO - Hoping to tone down the Atkins Diet’s steak-and-bacon image, the company that bears the name of the low-carbohydrate food plan is launching a campaign centered on education rather than its products.

The ads, which privately held Atkins Nutritionals Inc. is running on the back pages of Newsweek and other major publications, feature its new Atkins Lifestyle Food Guide Pyramid.

The campaign comes as a host of rivals, including those pushing spinoff diets like South Beach, seek to cash in on Americans’ fight against obesity and topple Atkins from its market-leading position.

“They are pressed to reinvent the public perception that the Atkins Diet is not synonymous with bacon cheeseburgers,” said Dean Rotbart, editor of the online industry newsletter LowCarbiz.

The Atkins model runs counter to the high-carb diet depicted in the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s own long-standing food pyramid, which has grain-based foods at its base and limited amounts of protein and fat on top.

But contrary to popular belief, Atkins says it prescribes ”a wide range of protein sources and nutrient-dense carbohydrates, such as most vegetables, certain fruits, nuts, dairy products and whole grains.”

“There’s not a mention of a product on there,” Matthew Wiant, senior vice president of marketing, said of the new ads. ”It’s reminding people that eating Atkins is fundamentally about eating whole foods.”

The campaign follows criticism from consumer advocacy groups that have cautioned against the ill effects of low-carb eating, especially Atkins.

And the death of company founder Dr. Robert Atkins after a fall in April 2003 led to a spate of negative publicity when the public learned that the developer of his namesake diet had been overweight.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Apr-26-04, 11:10

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

It's badly needed. The general population really doesn't understand what Atkins is all about. I had a talk earlier in the bathroom with a woman. We started discussing weight loss. I suggested she try Low-carb. This were her comments. Oh all that fat can't be good for you. I'm a big salad eater and I would miss that. Salad is very carby.

She is going to join Weight Watcher
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Apr-26-04, 11:46
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
“There’s not a mention of a product on there,” Matthew Wiant, senior vice president of marketing, said of the new ads. ”It’s reminding people that eating Atkins is fundamentally about eating whole foods.”

Bravo.

I wonder if they're doing this partially because of "purist" backlash. I'm sure I'm not the first person to notice the Atkins company appearing to place high priority on selling their frankenfood, even to the point of giving them the green light on induction.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Apr-26-04, 11:52

Stats: 206/144/135 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 87%

Thank Goodness!!!!!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Apr-26-04, 18:40
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

I've seen the ads with the Atkins pyramid and, in my opinion, they are very good. Someone I work with told me that he had seen one of the ads with the Atkins pyramid and was impressed -- it made a lot of sense to him.

I hope they start running them in more places.