Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Apr-24-04, 21:10
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 125/125/120 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 0%
Question About cream..please help

I was wondering when everyone mentions theyhave cream more in the frig, what do you use it for? I wasn't sure if they meant for coffee or something else. I have been using half and half but if heavy cream can be used, is it good? Thanks in advance.Crystal
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Apr-25-04, 06:07

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 245/220/205 Male 6'3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Half and half is just milk and cream. Milk is kindy carby so putting only cream in your coffee would not only taste better but would lower your carb consumption.

Cream is wonderful. I use it for omelettes, curries, ganaches, and coffee. And that's just off the top of my head.

The one thing I would suggest regarding cream is to track down the pasteurized kind as opposed to the ultra pasteurized. Ultra pasteurized cream is a scourge. Ultra pasteurization involves higher temperatures resulting in a cooked flavor/darker color. Blecccch!
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Apr-25-04, 07:33
Registered Member

BF:
Question are you talking about heavy cream or

non dairy creamer? I can't find just cream????
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Apr-25-04, 09:09
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Either heavy cream or whipping cream. Look on the label for the fat content. It should be 33% or above.

Karen
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Apr-25-04, 13:42
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Non-dairy creamer is loaded with carbs. just get regular heavy whipping cream or such that can be found with the milks.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Apr-25-04, 14:56

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 145/117/120 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress:

Are you thoroughly confused yet, Crystal? I think, to summarize, what you need to know is that low carbers don't use any milk at all - I don't keep it in the house, although I love it (I live alone so I can get away with that) and that you should only use cream that is at least 33% butterfat.

Cream is one of the staples of my diet. I go through a couple of litres every week. Some examples of how I use it are:

1. I pour it over sugar-free jello.
2. I mix cream with ricotta cheese, a little sweetener, some vanilla and some cinnamon to make a kind of "mock rice pudding."
3. I also mix cream with ricotta cheese, sweetener, a tablespoon each of unprocessed bran and flax meal, and a few frozen raspberries. This makes a good breakfast cereal substitute, or I often have it as a bedtime snack.
4. I use cream mixed half and half with water to replace the milk in baked custard (also replace the sugar with a sweetener, of course). I make six custard cups at a time and often take them for lunch at work. I have a nice recipe for this; let me know if you would like it.
5. Many, many dessert recipes use whipped cream, mixed with cream cheese. Check out the recipe section.

Those are just a few ideas. I'd be here all day if I were to tell you every single way that I use cream in my daily meals. I couldn't do this way of eating without it.

Karen D.

Last edited by Karen D. : Sun, Apr-25-04 at 15:15.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Apr-25-04, 20:28

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 279/247/180 Female 5' 4"
BF:Way/too/much
Progress: 32%

Hi Karen D.
I'd be interested in your custard recipe .

Alli
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Apr-25-04, 21:48

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 145/117/120 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress:

I've posted it in the Sweet Treats section - it's called Low Carb Baked Custard. Hope you enjoy it. I put a custard cup inside a small, round Rubbermaid container and carry it to work in that. It's a perfect size.

Karen D.

Last edited by Karen D. : Sun, Apr-25-04 at 21:59.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Apr-26-04, 03:27
Registered Member

BF:

thanks so much for answering everyone! I really appreciate it. Everythings cleared up now. I will be going to the store to get some heavy cream today.Crystal
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Apr-28-04, 06:18
{{{Kickin Ash}}}

Plan: Atkins 1972
Stats: 223/190/160 Female 5ft8
BF:OUT OF CONTROL
Progress: 52%

I have to run out twice a week cause it goes soo fast in my house, for coffee, recipes, whip cream etc...