Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Apr-25-04, 12:34

Plan: My own, post Atkins
Stats: 180/131/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 123%
Default messed up.

I messed up last night. We went to a russian restaurant (bad place for lowcarb) and i ate BREADED chicken and 4 little dumpling things. And a shot of vodka...Damn the alcohol. I normally have no problem sticking carb-free, but I definitely drink too many "nightcaps" and that is the main problem with my diet. At this point carbohydrate is pretty much simply yucky and i am reminded of this every time i eat it. But my will power with cutting out alcohol is sooo bad.
I really want to do a clean induction (just for the challenge that is), kind of like a spring cleaning for my body.
Does anyone have advice on how to cut out alcohol?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Apr-25-04, 12:38
Contributing Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 195/183/120 Female 5' 2"
BF:too much
Progress: 16%

L-Glutamine 12 grams a day.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Apr-25-04, 12:49

Plan: My own, post Atkins
Stats: 180/131/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 123%

Thanks! The Boyfriend takes it religiously, so there was already a canister in the house. I just took the dose you recommended in water. I read the info on the packaging,; it seems like a great supplement, but how does it help with the alcohol??
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Apr-25-04, 23:18
Contributing Member

Stats: 195/183/120 Female 5' 2"
BF:too much
Progress: 16%

As quoted from Dr. Atkins' book, "Vita-Nutrient Solution, pg 167-170

Glutamine's secret to its significance is that it provides nitrogen more readily than any other amino acid. From treating intestinal maladies to calming addictive urges, few other substances offer as much to nutritional medicine.

To recover successfully from any of a variety of illnesses and injuries, the body need certain proteins. No matter which are needed, all can be made with the help of L-glutamine. It possesses an extra nitrogen atom, which it readily offers for the synthesis of other amino acids.

In addition, it helps the body create other important nutrients, such as glutathione, glucosamine, and vitamin B3.

Addictions. Long before we knew about its involvement in tissue repair, I was using glutamine to help control cravings. I got the idea from
Roger Williams, Ph.D., the nutritionist who inspired so many of us to pursue nutritional medicine. He used glutamine to curb the desire to drink alcohol, which it does quite well.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Apr-26-04, 00:51

Stats: 195/148/150 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

The L-glutamine really works, I could not believe it. I was a social drinker but have had no cravings since I started the diet. It also seemed to eliminate some other bad cravings for me. My naturopath is the one who advised me to take it.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Apr-26-04, 01:41

Stats: 168/138/130 Female 5'4"
BF:?/27%/15% maybe?
Progress: 79%

Thanks. Does it work for memory too? (hehe) I have that book and couldn't remember the name of it. I was at the store yesterday sifting through the supplement aisle trying to jog memory on what it was called and it drove me nuts. I am hoping that I'll remember it now that I've seen it again in a different setting. Sometimes I need to read things a few times before I rememeber them. Isn't that listed in DANDR as well? Or was that L cartanine? One of em's in dieters advantage, I think but I don't remember which one. Anyways..I need the other one cuz I have the dieters advantage pills. As far as drinking cravings I'm sorry I can't help you on that one. We had alcoholics in our family and I knew I was a sugar addict already so I never wanted to get started for fear of getting addicted. I already know I like the way beer tastes cuz I tasted it once. But I've never had more than a sip of any one drink, I'm just a chicken I guess. Anyway's I'd probably have an anyphylactic reaction to the ones made from grain anyways since my allergies are known for that. Annie