Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Apr-25-04, 08:39

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 273/179.2/150 Female 5ft 3 in
BF:
Progress: 76%
Exclamation Smaller measurements doing Atkins!

I had read in various posts that on Atkins you might end up a smaller size at a higher weight than when eating low-fat.

IT'S TRUE!!!!!

About 12 years ago I started a low-fat diet weighing 190 lbs. When I say low-fat, I mean very low fat. I literally starved 60 lbs. off in 4 months. I ended up feeling soooo awful that I swore I would never do that again. I then proceeded to eat myself back up to 273, all the while vowing that being thin was not worth the torture I went through eating low-fat.

Then a friend started Atkins in a last-ditch attempt to avoid the gastric bypass surgery her doctor was pushing her to have. After seeing her success, and reading DANDR cover to cover a few times, I finally let myself believe that there might be a glimmer of hope. I am so glad that I took the risk!

Anyway, at the beginning of that horrible low-fat diet 12 years ago I measured myself. I had saved those measurements all those years in a small notebook, and when I started Atkins I used the same notebook to keep track of my measurements. After my usual Sunday morning weigh & measure I happened to glance back at my starting measurements from 12 years ago. I am the exact same size now that I was then, 20 lbs. lighter! Actually, my thighs are 1/2 inch smaller!

Go Atkins!

When I began I set 150 as my goal, afraid to set my sights too high for fear of disappointment. Now I'm hoping that I might actually be happy at 150.

But this time I know that I can reach my goal in a much healthier, happier way, and actually make it permanent!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Apr-25-04, 08:50
overeasy

Plan: No grains/sugar/alcohol
Stats: 221/175.4/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 75%

Yup, I weigh about 25-30lbs heavier than what I look. When people honestly guess what I weigh, I get answers from 125-135lbs. Which is really funny so I can't help but to LOL.

I am in love with the fact that I am keeping (and gaining from exercise) muscle, while losing that nasty fat.

melissa
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Apr-25-04, 09:01

Plan: anti-fungal, atkins
Stats: 165/125/125 Female 5'1
BF:
Progress: 100%

I am wearing pants now that I was 10 pounds lighter to wear before!! I love it...people can't believe I have only lost 15 pounds...they say it looks like I have lost a ton more

plus I am not starving all the time thats enough for me lOL
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Apr-25-04, 09:04
I'm Losin' It

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 190.5/190.5/150 Female 5' 7"
BF:ha/ha/18%
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAREN X 2
I had read in various posts that on Atkins you might end up a smaller size at a higher weight than when eating low-fat.

IT'S TRUE!!!!!

About 12 years ago I started a low-fat diet weighing 190 lbs. When I say low-fat, I mean very low fat. I literally starved 60 lbs. off in 4 months. I ended up feeling soooo awful that I swore I would never do that again. I then proceeded to eat myself back up to 273, all the while vowing that being thin was not worth the torture I went through eating low-fat.

Then a friend started Atkins in a last-ditch attempt to avoid the gastric bypass surgery her doctor was pushing her to have. After seeing her success, and reading DANDR cover to cover a few times, I finally let myself believe that there might be a glimmer of hope. I am so glad that I took the risk!

Anyway, at the beginning of that horrible low-fat diet 12 years ago I measured myself. I had saved those measurements all those years in a small notebook, and when I started Atkins I used the same notebook to keep track of my measurements. After my usual Sunday morning weigh & measure I happened to glance back at my starting measurements from 12 years ago. I am the exact same size now that I was then, 20 lbs. lighter! Actually, my thighs are 1/2 inch smaller!

Go Atkins!

When I began I set 150 as my goal, afraid to set my sights too high for fear of disappointment. Now I'm hoping that I might actually be happy at 150.

But this time I know that I can reach my goal in a much healthier, happier way, and actually make it permanent!

I've just finished my 3rd mo. Your right, in prevous lo fat/lo cal diets I would weigh 140 at goal and be a small 14. So when I would read about all the posts of being 185 and being a 14 I was amazed and confused. BUT last week I bought a pair of used 14 jeans in a style I like and they FIT. Thats not to say all 14's fit, but those did and that made me happy
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Apr-25-04, 09:29

Plan: PP
Stats: 160/149/125 Female 66 in.
BF:
Progress: 31%

Yup, it is true. Also, I could never lose my big 'ol butt on LF but it is shrinking quite nicely on LC now. In other words I feel much more shapely at this weight as well as smaller overall. I believe it has to do with a better hormonal balance that comes from LC.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Apr-25-04, 11:43
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Wow! I love people who keep good records. I was thinking too that for my weight, I'm a lot smaller than normal.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Apr-25-04, 12:58

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 203/138/140 Female 65inches
BF:
Progress: 103%

I know what you mean. I am as small as I was in high school, but now I can fit into sizes I never thought possible.

Go us!!!
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Apr-25-04, 13:02

Plan: modified me
Stats: 274/258/199 Female 64
BF:don't want to know
Progress: 21%

After reading this I am going to have to find that envelop that I had written my beginning measurements on. Thanks for asking the question and all the great answers.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Apr-25-04, 13:05
Elevator, Going Down

Plan: Natalia Rose Detox
Stats: 264/241/140 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 19%

You guys are encouraging me to measure... I have been skipping that part...