Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Apr-22-04, 23:13
Registered Member

Plan: simple low carb :)
Stats: 165/157/150 Female 67"
BF:Have a boyfriend!
Progress: 53%
Default dad won't stop eating MY FOOD! i'm just ranting here.

sorry, i know this is a dumb post, but it gets on my f$$$$$$ing nerves and i am going to rant:

if i was on a low fat diet my dad wouldn't touch my food, but he sees pork rinds in the pantry (on MY shelf, clearly labeled MELISSA) and eats them. he won't buy pork rinds either, he just eats them if they are in the house. it's not just the pork rinds. my mom dips into my yogurt (please no more arguments about yogurt here. i eat it and it works for me), the full fat kind, and she's on weight watchers so that stuff is supposed to be off limits right? she only buys fat free sugar added crap for herself. why eat my stuff? i don't make $7.50 an hour and work 20 hours a week to feed them. i am putting myself through school and buying my own food.

does anyone else have this problem? it really makes me angry to come home and find that the meal i THOUGHT was there is actually already being digested by someone else.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Apr-22-04, 23:50
Contributing Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 195/183/120 Female 5' 2"
BF:too much
Progress: 16%

Sounds like you need to call a family meeting with both of them together to discuss that possibly everyone could do ATKINS together.

If not, maybe you should buy a mini frig and place it in your bedroom.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Apr-22-04, 23:54
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

LOL I could have written that post.

I'll spend a ton of money on my food, and everyone in my house eats it. Then when I complain I get called cheap. The nerve! Yeah, if it is cheap to complain about people eating the food you pay for, how cheap is it to not spend any money at all and be a mooch?

Don't worry I totally feel your pain . My brother ate my entire jar of sugar free peanut butter and then proceeded to eat half my jar of sugar free jam just the other day! His reasoning? "Don't be so cheap... I wanted to eat it (the jam) all because it had no calories!"

GRRR!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Apr-23-04, 02:03
Lobstergal

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

My kids do the same thing to me with some of my low carb stuff. It pissed me off in the beginning but with some things I have learned to hide them in various places around the house if they do not require refrigeration (like almonds). It is a real PITA when you go to have your low carb stuff and it is *gone*. I hate that.

I have even taken to hiding my case of diet pepsi in my bedroom closet
so my boys will not drink them all up on me. When I want one I just take a cup filled with ice to my bedroom and drink it there with the bedroom door shut while watching tv or I have one through the day while they are at school then I bury the can in the garbage under something else.

I recall one day I was shopping and was very low on money for a couple days so I bought 2 nice tomatoes for my next 2 day's worth of salads and on the third day I would have enough cash to get more tomatoes and more salad stuff.
Now neither of my boys have touched a tomato in thier lives before this and would have died if I tried to make them eat one but for some reason when I was up in my room watching television my oldest son (age 19 years) got it into his head to have himself a couple toasted tomato sandwiches and there went my 2 tomatoes I had picked so well for myself at the store. When I came down an hour later into the kitchen there were the remains of my tomatoes on the counter. I was mad but what can you do. What was done was done.

Can you hide some things that require no refrigeration in your bedroom?
Would having a small fridge in your room help?
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Apr-23-04, 05:55
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

I grew up in a house with tons of kids and people all the time. I have 9 brothers and sisters so I am just used to it. It isnt just food either. Makeup, clothing, personal stuff. If you have it then it belongs to the house lol. I am used to it already. Whats worse is when you ask who took it, ate it, did it... no one did. Its the little invisible mice that have a hidden stash of all my stuff through the years.

Yeah I know all about how that sucks. The other day I went to the gym with my mom and she put 12 chicken legs in the oven before we went out. My 6 year old brother managed to eat 3 and a half chicken legs! I suppose he was hungry, but he ate the food that was supposed to be mine, my mothers and my stepfathers. I was pissed since I was counting on the chicken being there for after my workout.

Nothing you can do really. You can try talking to them, putting a lock on a cabinet. I mean its total disrespect to take someone elses things if they specifically ask you not to but chances are it wont get fixed. Ask them to buy you more or ask them for money and buy extras for them and for you.

Good luck in getting it fixed.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Apr-23-04, 07:22

Plan: Low Carb My Way
Stats: 170/169/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%

Unfortunatley, I live in a house of non-LCers and when I get some stuff for myself...they end up eating it too. Cannot tell you how many times I told my kids "lay off my food!" I suggest you have a nice talk with Dad and tell him that LC is not cheap and that you don't mind sharing once in a while but please lay off! If you have a good relationship with Dad...he should understand.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Apr-23-04, 07:32

Plan: my own way...
Stats: 300/292/169 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 6%

Ive had roommates who have done the whole ate all your food routine, I am sure your parents will be better once you talk to them. I would just explain the issue...If not find a stash spot in your room for stuff...get a mini fridge...
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Apr-23-04, 07:55
MySpaceBarSticks.

Plan: atkins
Stats: 21/20/180 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: -1%

I know just how you feel!
when i go shopping I let everyone pick out their own snack. It's funny because they all still have a full supply, and my nuts are almost gone, and not from me either! I am going to start buying less of their junk and more of mine, i bet then they complain they don't have the other stuff!!!
I would try hiding your personal snacks in your room, or keep things in your car.
one trick that works well is putting it in a bag and placing it in the back of the fridge. MOST men will not take the time to open it up and look inside.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Apr-23-04, 08:07
Registered Member

Plan: simple low carb :)
Stats: 165/157/150 Female 67"
BF:Have a boyfriend!
Progress: 53%

I might look into this mini fridge thing. Or just calling a family meeting. But last time I did that I was told I live here rent free....blah blah blah. Still, my dad makes in a week what I make in two months. They do not pay the bills that come in the mail with my name on the envelope. I wrote a note on the TWO near empty pork rind bags and stuck it back in the pantry.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Apr-23-04, 08:08

Stats: 190/145/125 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 69%

Actually, its worked out ok for my son and I. Since he really seems to like some of my low carb foods (esp. things like cheese cubes, roasted chicken, etc) I am just buying more of those and less of the junk snack foods I used to buy for him, so in essence, I'm replacing some of his bad foods with good stuff. But I can see where if you were a student and not a head of household it would be hard to buy for everyone on a limited income. Maybe a family meeting is in order. Maybe they can all chip in on groceries with you, or pledge to leave your stuff alone.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Apr-23-04, 08:11
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

How about storing your foods your Dad is snitching in your room? Under your bed if you must.

I remember once my Mom was having a problem keeping my brother from eating all the bananas. So she hid them. She thought to herself, "where's the one place he never looks?" The answer... under *his* bed. The smell of bananas drove him nuts, but she was right. He never looked there.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Apr-23-04, 08:23

Stats: 148.5/137/130 Female 64 in
BF:27.2
Progress: 62%

I don't really have a problem with anyone eating alot of my food. All my kids and my husband are really thin, as a matter of fact so thin I am tired of hearing everyone tell me I need to feed them more. The oldest one even comes home from school mad because kids ask her if she is anorexic. Because they are so thin they actually try to stay away from my food because they are afraid if they eat what I eat they will lose weight. They do eat my veggies and nuts though, but I don't really mind because it is good for them. I just go back to the store.
I think it would probably be a good idea to hide your foods in you room or somewhere. Even though you live there rent free it is still disrespectful. Like I tell my kids, if you didn't buy it or if it wasn't given to you then it is not yours and you must ask to use it etc. Maybe when they bring up the rent free thing when you ask about your food offer to pay rent. Chances are they won't accept but will realize just how important it is to you.
Nancy, that is hilarious about your brother and the bananas.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Apr-23-04, 09:07
I'm Losin' It

Stats: 190.5/190.5/150 Female 5' 7"
BF:ha/ha/18%
Progress: 0%

Would it do any good to offer to pick up extra goodies for them, and then ask for the cash to do so?

I'm fortunate: my DH is on this with me and it's only the 2 of us. When our 18 yo is home she asks first as to what she can dip into (she knows not to come between me & my food )
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Apr-23-04, 10:05
Out of service...

Stats: 220/205.5/140 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 18%

Okay, there's been alot of positive and good advice here...
I was reading about this, and I could feel my blood pressure building, the frustration... my family would've done the same thing... What would I do? I would buy a huge bunch of lc chocolates, the ones with the absolute most maltitol that you can find and leave them in the pantry... maybe after they have to fight to get to the toilet they'll leave your $hit alone.

Jenn
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Apr-23-04, 10:49
Memere to 4

Stats: 227/199/150 Female 5ft 3in
BF:Too much
Progress: 36%

Because I don't know how your parents are.... I don't know if it would work...but it would be proper to just ask for the $$ to replace your groceries. If your dad refused even though you are making a lower wage....I would consider finding a shared accomodation or a room mate and moving. I would rather live with someone who is considerate.