Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, Nov-09-01, 20:47

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 202/168/140
BF:
Progress: 55%
Default My motivation

I liked nat's list of motivations... Here are my top 5

1. String bikini
2. Little black dress
3. Photo's
4. Trendy Clothes
5. Comments from anyone on how good I look!

Shannon
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, Nov-10-01, 20:27

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 160/154/130
BF:
Progress: 20%
Default More, More, More Motivations!!

Hello Everyone,

Wow, I'm loving the motivations!!! I was just telling my mom about this site.

Lets have more motivations!!!

DesertRose
  #18   ^
Old Sat, Nov-10-01, 23:36

BF:

Hi AngieH & Fumih_81,

There's no way to contact you. You should start a journal. It helps keep you on track and it's also a good motivational tool.

I hope to see you in the journals!!!

DesertRose
  #19   ^
Old Sun, Nov-11-01, 00:58

Plan: Carbohydrate Addicts Diet
Stats: 120/120/105
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hi DesertRose (great name by the way). Your post really struck a chord with me because your situation sounds a lot like mine. I've also been a thin person all my life until about two years ago, when I suddenly found myself putting on weight. It's been difficult for me to adjust to the concept of dieting, since all my life I've been able to eat anything without gaining weight. Unfortunately food is now a major issue in my life, and I've also had to put up with criticism from friends and family. I really want to show them that I can do it and that I can be the person I used to be; confident, happy, and in control of myself and my body. I know exactly what you mean about the clothes as well. Not being able to fit into clothes that fit a year ago, going shopping and finding that you've gone up a size, buying 'temporary' clothes in bigger sizes, having two wardrobes - one with clothes that you want to wear, and one with clothes that you have to wear until you shrink. It can all get quite depressing but I guess that also makes me more determined to get out of the rut I'm stuck in. Anyway thank you for sharing your motivation, I just wanted to let you know that I definitely know where you're coming from.

#20   ^
Old Sun, Nov-11-01, 20:26

BF:
Smile Great!

Hi Mags,

I, like you, want to be "confident, happy, and in control of myself and my body." That is the ultimate goal, control especially!! Thanks for sharing your motivation!! Watch out family and friends, watch out world, for that matter.

Thanks for the comment on the name. I picked it because I live in a desert and I feel like a rose.

Thank you,

DesertRose

Last edited by DesertRose : Sun, Nov-11-01 at 22:06.
  #21   ^
Old Sun, Nov-11-01, 21:23
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 177/169.0/140 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 22%

My jump-start came from my sister -- when I saw how good she looked and she told me about Atkins, I was ready. I needed something different -- was gaining as much as 10 pounds/year and didn't want to think where that might end.

Now I have several motivations:
(1) I like how I feel. I haven't lost a lot of pounds, but my clothes feel different. My face looks different, and I feel like a new person. I have more confidence than I've had in many many years. Seeing success with this WOL change makes me feel I could meet other big challenges.
(2) I like not having addictions/cravings. I no longer want to eat a pound of crackers. I no longer count the hours until I can visit the snack machine at work. I don't have to hide to eat what I want. (I've even been able to stop using chapstick!)
(3) I like paying this much attention to myself -- what I eat, how I feel. In the past, I put myself way down on the priority list, but no more. I'm realizing that I was using food as a tranquilizer instead of facing how I feel. Now I'd rather sign onto this website instead of binge. Knowing that there's lots of other intelligent and caring people here struggling with a lot of the same stuff helps so much.
  #22   ^
Old Mon, Nov-12-01, 01:28

Plan: Atkins,PP
Stats: 202/147/120
BF:
Progress: 67%

Yo!

I have the same thinking too~
More confidence abt myself, coz i know that my figure is looking sexier (haha!). I tend to laugh louder now, and walk with more confidence....although i see my waist at the same measurement, but i can feel the firmness of my body

though i see my pounds going down at a turtle rate...at least shld be steady.

no bingeing on foods, good control on choice of foods and intake...

no one gotta say i am fat again~
  #23   ^
Old Mon, Nov-12-01, 22:30

Plan: Atkins/ Protein Power
Stats: 173/140/140 Female 69.5
BF:2ndX w/ Atkins
Progress: 100%
Default My modivation...

I've never been overweight, but I've always been uncomforable with my body. It got to the point, where I would cry before leaving the house, I dreaded walking around campus, and walked with my head facing down. I hated going home and being the girl that when she went to college "gained all that wieght." I was just tired of being that person, and I'm not that person - and that's my modivation. I'm not tired of not being happy with the way I look. I'm modivated everyday by looking in the mirror and seeing the awesome things that are happening to me (old pants fitting, feeling better in my bathsuit, etc). I'm modivated to look the way I feel...

I finally got modivated to finally lose the wieght, after my bf's mom lost 40 lbs, and two friends lost 30lbs. on LC. I saw myself sooo jealous and finally decided I could do it too.

What would modivate me even more, would be to have someone notice my weightloss and congraduate me. I don't know if I should feel complimented that I hided my weight that well or be in auww of my friends inability to notice my changes.
  #24   ^
Old Mon, Nov-12-01, 22:48

Plan: Schwarzbein prin
Stats: 158/155/120
BF:
Progress:

I'm with Karen---SANITY. And maybe to get my belly out of the way, so I can do more forward bending yoga poses.
yb
  #25   ^
Old Mon, Nov-12-01, 23:27
Registered Member

Plan: 10-20g per day
Stats: 169/129/125
BF:
Progress: 91%

I've never lost my motivation but it was overwhelmingly reinforced last night. My In-laws had been overseas for three months and I had never told them I was dieting. They about both fell over when they walked in the door! And did that ever feel good!

For the occasion I'd bought myself a snug pair of Levis (that I hope to replace with a smaller size by Christmas) and a pretty, white, short sleeve knitted top that I can actually TUCK IN! and feel good about wearing. Bra size is down from 36D to 34C - I would never wear tight-fitting tops.

I will say tho, I give myself a day off of dieting every two weeks. By that I mean I might eat 80-90 carbs that day. It keeps my sanity. And this month I had four days off in a row while camping but I knew with the excessive amount of hiking, climbing and activity I would be able to balance things.

By taking a bit of a relaxed approach I just accept that my weight loss will take a little longer and that doesn't worry me too much. And starting back over on that Sunday morning is never an issue, I am that strict on myself.

I am extremely happy with my results so far, and new clothes and surprising people you haven't seen in a while is great motivation!
  #26   ^
Old Tue, Nov-13-01, 11:29

Plan: Atkins/Stnry Bike/Physio
Stats: 225/210/155 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

Thanks for starting this thread! It's wonderful to be able to come in and see everyone's reasons...feed on them....and contemplate them as worthy for me too!

My Number 1 reason for wanting to lose weight is to get to feeling better. I feel so sluggish carrying all of this weight and I love to feel the spring in my step that I have at a lower weight and the increased energy I have to spend.

Number 2 reason: HEALTH!! I've breached the half century and I plan to be a healthy vibrant human being when I reach the full century. Longevity runs in my family and I want to be able to enjoy life fully right to the end.

Number 3 reason: I love clothes and want to look good in them. I'm tired of holding off on a new wardrobe because I don't want to buy them in the large sizes that I need now.

Number 4 reason: I'm tired of living with all of the prejudices against overweight people. I want an equal share of all that life has to offer.

Marlaine
  #27   ^
Old Tue, Nov-13-01, 12:14

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 195/195/135
BF:
Progress: 0%
Thumbs up My motivation to loose

My motivation to lose my weight is first, to be healthy, lower blood pressure, and Just down right feel good.
Second: to see my grandchildren grown and some great grandchildren
Third: to get into normal size clothes, size 10 or 12
Fourth: Regain self confidence
Fifth: To learn a new healthy way of eating.
Sixth: I have a bet with my DH, if I loose 20lb's by christmas, he will quit smoking. He has emphysema.
I like this thread. It help's to write down our motivation's and keep reading them. Also other's motivation.
Hug's Shirl
  #28   ^
Old Tue, Nov-13-01, 12:20
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%
Wink Buying clothes

That's a thought.. imagine buying clothes from a clothing store! Wow I would love to be able to just go buy a pair of jeans without having to order them and wait for the delivery! I probably will be spending more money then
  #29   ^
Old Tue, Nov-13-01, 12:52

Plan: atkins
Stats: 188/139/140
BF:
Progress: 102%

my motivation was that I was sick and tired of feeling sick and tired. I have fibromyalgia and was constantly fatigued, and extememely moody. I knew sugar was a poison to my system I just needed a way to break the habit. When I started on Atkins last april I had HUGE withdrawls but within 2 weeks I felt better. Im even off my meds now.Then there was the weight loss. I never ever thought I would be able to lose weight and yet I could eat when I was hungry. Now my motivation is being able to fit into size 10 clothes and look good. " Nothing tastes as good as thin feels"
  #30   ^
Old Tue, Nov-13-01, 13:51
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 157.5/152.5/135
BF:
Progress: 22%
Cool

I want to feel the way I did ten years ago. Now, three kids later, I just don't have any energy. I would love to play basketball and football with them again.

That tucking in the shirt post sounds good too.

After reading everyone's motivation, I'm motivated all over again.

Thanks!!