Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Apr-20-04, 08:00
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 155/145/125
BF:
Progress: 33%
Default okay be honest how much splenda/day?

Just wondering how much splenda everyone uses a day. I'm bad I have at least 6 packets a day because of all the coffee I drink. Is that too much?

Thanks again!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Apr-20-04, 08:26

Plan: My Own
Stats: 258/247/180 Female 5 ft, 5 in
BF:
Progress: 14%

Hey Happygem!

I use between 1 & 3 packets of Splenda per day. It depends on how much coffee I drink and if I have an afternoon cup of tea.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Apr-20-04, 08:27

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 169/132/132 Female 153 cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi

Yeah, that may be a bit of coffee... what about herbal tea and water to replace maybe one or two of those cups of coffee?

I had three packets so far today, but I likely won't have any more coffee today.

M
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Apr-20-04, 08:27
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I use as much as I want, never had a problem. I use it a fair amount in cooking too. But, I also get the liquid kind when I can. It doesn't have the carbs in the filler. Not sure you can really buy it anymore though. :P
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Apr-20-04, 08:31
Registered Member

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 168/140/140 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 100%

I was going to ask this same question.. I have about 3-4 cups of coffee in the morning, and I use 1 packet for all of them..I put a little in each cup then save the packet and use it until it is done..

If I put one whole packet, it is too sweet (or too Splenda'y) for me.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Apr-20-04, 08:39

Plan: My own lactovegetarian
Stats: 130/110/112 Female 63 inches
BF:24.5%
Progress: 111%

If I used exclusively splenda, it might be more than I could count. I use liquid saccharin (Dr Atkins said that was O.K.) and also some stevia. I use it for much more than just beverages. I used to worry about it. Then I was tested for allergies. I was allergic to sugar big time! and to splenda. I was treated with NAET which eliminates allergies. I seem to have no problem with it. I overdid it on sugar alcohols for a while and still use them occassionally. The allergy testing told me my body handles them O.K. I don't worry about it too much, but recently, I am concentrating on a whole food diet which leaves out a lot of the processed stuff. I wish I was not such a sweets addict, but I am. I am working on it. Sugar is out except rarely when I am at a party or some get together with others.

Thanks for starting this thread. I needed this confession, I guess.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Apr-20-04, 08:48

Stats: 148.5/137/130 Female 64 in
BF:27.2
Progress: 62%

I don't use splenda daily maybe 4 packets a month, I don't think it stalls me or anything I just don't have a reason too. I never used any sweetner in my coffee.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Apr-20-04, 08:58

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 240/224/199 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 39%

I think I use too much as well. All for coffee and tea. The coffee at work is so strong and I use about 2 packets for a cup (a cup meaning about 12-16oz's
I know I use a bit more, but I count each one as 1 carb and I've been losing wonderfully! I want to cut out coffee all together, but for now doing a job I hate I need to coffee to keep me occupied and awake!
I soon hope to become a certified personal trainer/pilates instructor so then I'll be more motivated to quit!
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Apr-20-04, 09:21

Stats: 188/180/160 Female 5' 4''
BF:Next Mini Goal:175
Progress: 29%

Wow, I use quite a bit of slenda. I love the stuff!!!

When I was drinking coffee in the morning, I used 3 packets for sure. Now, I don't drink coffee anymore.

I use 2 cups of Splenda to pake a pitcher, ~ 3 liters of Kool-Aid. So each liter has about 16 carbs (I count each packet as 1 carb) and I go through 2 liters a week, so about 5 more packets of slenda a day. Now, I just buy the individual pouches sold and sweetened with splenda. Each pouch has 2 carbs and I keep control of my portions.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Apr-20-04, 10:07
PuertoRican Princess

Stats: 299/236/135 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 38%

I don't use any of it unless I'm making the Mock Danish, and that is only a once a month thing.

#11   ^
Old Tue, Apr-20-04, 10:10

Stats: 293/257/155 Female 5' 8"
BF:
Progress: 26%

I don't use any Splenda at all because it causes me problems. I do not lose weight if I have even a little bit, and it tastes funny to me anyways.
I limit myself to one serving of artificially sweetened food a day, usually a Diet Coke or crystal light.

If I HAVE to have dessert, I skip the drink and mix cream cheese with Equal and vanilla.

I wish I was one who could use it a lot and still lose well.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Apr-20-04, 10:20

Plan: atkins
Stats: 250/194.5/140 Female 5' 9
BF:too high i am sure
Progress: 50%

i use 1 packet a day, in my evening decaf, after my lil guys go down for the night, it's my goodie =) i look forward to 8 oclock hehehehe it's my only peace in my day =)
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Apr-20-04, 10:34

Stats: 248/140/145 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 105%

I use maybe 1 packet a week, not much on artificial sweetners.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Apr-20-04, 10:41

Plan: Carb Cycling
Stats: 188/173/150 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 39%

I generally use 1-3 packets per day. One in coffee, 2 in cream cheese with flax meal.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Apr-20-04, 12:18

Stats: 234/160.8/150 Female 173
BF:37%/27%/23%
Progress: 87%

I have never used it, not by choice, but as it is not available to me here.
I dont use any sweetner daily, but about once a month I have whipped cream with berries and I will use a teaspoon of liquid saccahrin.

I am following the "ATKINS PLAN ALA LILY (AFWIFE) AND KRISTYC"

That means only whole foods and no franken LC stuff and no added anything. Yes it is mostly induction all the time, but it has given me the right to say I have never had a "0" loss week yet (14 weeks since I started) and my average is about 3.2 lbs a week. I am trying new recipes all the time, and tonight had fried cabbage and bacon that was yummy. But on the whole I really love chicken ceasar or taco salads and never seem to tire of ham/cheese/sausage omelets and baked chicken or steak. And more importantly, I ONLY drink water! Nothing else.

As I have a deadline to be slimmer by 20 July, (big family reunion) I am delaying OWL until closer to goal. But I will follow the carb ladder when I get home from holiday sometime in September or as I near 160 which ever comes first.

Perhaps other people dont mind the slow loss that accompanies the adding of sweetners and LC foods, but for me it would be disasterous as I am not the most patient dieter.

Last edited by HeMe2Kids : Tue, Apr-20-04 at 12:31.