Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Apr-19-04, 17:50

Plan: Atkins, low cal
Stats: 150/116/117 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 103%
Default i couldn't live without fish!

i have it every night for dinner cooked in butter, poached, ALL varieties... i LOVE it! i have always liked it, but since i am trying to watch my calories, eating a lot of fish allows me to do just that... eat a lot! by dinner, i'm always really hungry, and fish has fewer calories than red meat and is so good for you. i'm just really on a kick right now my current favorites: turbot and bluefish!

if you aren't eating it, you're missin' out.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Apr-19-04, 18:00

Plan: Undecided atm
Stats: 162/000/115 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 345%

Have you had tuna steaks? They are nothing like the canned tuna. I used to marinate chunks of tuna in olive oil, balsalmic vinegar, spicey brown mustard, onion powder, black pepper and a pinch of splenda. Then wrap each chunk in a large fresh basil leaf before putting it on a skewer. Broil until done (very close to broiler in oven) I usually flipped the skewers over half way through. Tilapia is also nice because it's such a light fish. It seems to taste good no matter how it's seasoned.

Jenn
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Apr-19-04, 18:14

BF:

i'm not big on tuna because it has a lot of iodine in it (i'm acne prone, sometimes it makes me break out!) but on rare occasions i'll have tuna because it just tastes so good. and that sounds incredible! i might just have to give it a try. and funny you should mention tilapia, because i saw it a few days ago and was wondering whether i should try it. that's what i really liked about the turbot- it was very light, but very flavorful with the little seasoning i put on it. it was great! but i'll definitely try both of your suggestions, i'm always looking for variety.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Apr-19-04, 20:40

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 141.5/119/105 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 62%

I'm the same way with shrimp
I have shrimp cocktail, shrimp scampi, fried shrimp, grilled shrimp, portabellos stuffed with shrimp, shrimp parmesan.......
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Apr-19-04, 21:03
Lobstergal

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Smile

I eat fish a few times a week. I *love* it and could not live without it.

My favourites are salmon, boston bluefish, sole, tuna and ocean perch
but I will eat any type put in front of me.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Apr-20-04, 00:34

Stats: 229/205/170 Female 5'6"
BF:I have Body Fat!??
Progress: 41%

Quote:
tilapia, because i saw it a few days ago and was wondering whether i should try it.

Tilapia is one of the most excellent fish on the market, and often times more affordable than some. Not only does it have an excellent flavor, but it has an interesting story as well.

Tilapia originate in the middle eastern parts of the world. Different varieties are native to Africa, India, Israel and other countries where they can live in either fresh or salt water. They are a warm water fish. It is believed that they are the fish spoken of in the Bible.

Tilapia can spawn when they are only 4" long. The mothers are mouth brooders. They lay the eggs which are fertilized, then the mother carries them into her mouth. After they hatch, the fry will occasionally swim out of the mother's mouth for feeding and such. If she feels they are in harm's way, she'll suck them back into her mouth for safety.

The mothers are mouth brooders. They lay the eggs which are fertilized, then the mother carries them into her mouth. After they hatch, the fry will occasionally swim out of the mother's mouth for feeding and such. If she feels they are in harm's way, she'll suck them back into her mouth for safety.

In commercial production, the fish are given testosterone at a young age to turn them all into males, as the males grow much faster than the females (which put their growth into reproduction). Although they can grow to sizes of 4 pounds and above, optimum harvest time is about 8" long or so, as after this period their growth slows substantially.

My husband was just researching the feasibility of starting his own fish farm when we got married. He raised tilapia on a very small scale for some time, then worked at a local aquaculture plant until they decided to close it. My mother-in-law took a lot of the fish he raised and smoked them. Oh my! Better than smoked salmon!!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Apr-20-04, 08:33

Stats: 169/132/132 Female 153 cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

Finally, people who love fish!

Maybe it's because I live in the very centre of the continent, no oceans for hundreds of km/miles...

Actually, I went to Cuba a month ago, and I ate tons of fish...I ended up losing a pound when I got back!

M
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Apr-20-04, 09:25

Plan: atkins
Stats: 164/146.0/135 Female 64 in
BF:38.5/31/20
Progress: 62%

Add me to the fish lovers...

I eat Salmon 2 or 3 times a week.
Tuna steak or talapia when its on sale.
Shrimp on weekends.
Fresh trout, red drum, red snapper, and flounder whenever DH catches it.

Sometimes I even put tuna, or salmon pouches (can replacemnts) on my mixed greens at lunch!
e
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Apr-20-04, 09:30

Stats: 188/180/160 Female 5' 4''
BF:Next Mini Goal:175
Progress: 29%

I just love shrimp and salmon. Too bad I don't know how to make it. They really jack up the prices in the restaurants.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Apr-20-04, 09:59

Stats: 290/230/130 Female 65 inches
BF:?/?/?
Progress: 38%
Default Fish Eater ToO!!!

I just pigged out on shrimp last night!!! I loooooove Salmon!

I could live on tuna salad (the Atkins way) w/pork rinds as an ore deurve (sp?).

Lobster - Ymmm!!! Rainbow trout - Used to catch it in California all the time!!!

Fish are cool - fish are my friends - Fish taste good!!!

Charlie Girl
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Apr-20-04, 10:04

Stats: 250/-/- Female 5'0
BF:
Progress: 22%

Talapia - yummy!!! If any of you are near a Sam's Wholesale - they have frozen Talapia in individuals air tight packs. I think there are 10 to 15 pieces of fish for $9.99. I ususally pan fry mine in butter with lemon pepper seasoning.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Apr-20-04, 10:47
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

I love fish too, and most forms of sea food. Living wher eI do though it's expencive, not the best quality, and not always available. In the summer you can catch brookie or rainbow trout, other then that it's all frozen *sigh*
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Apr-20-04, 12:07

BF:

i hate the frozen fish. i'll go to the grocery store every day if i have to get to get fresh fish! haha