Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Nov-08-01, 21:40

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 160/154/130
BF:
Progress: 20%
Question What's Your Motivation?

Hi Everyone,

What motivated me to start, and what keeps me motivated is what guarantee my victory! I use to be skinny as a door knob (in my early 20s). One day I just blew up, then I kept growing and growing, til soon my family started talking, and talking......you get the picture. :smile:

Well, my brother is my mentor. I really do look up to him. In the pass he had put on weight and successfully got rid of it. I thought - if my own blood could do it, so can I!

So, my motivation to start is to stop my family AND FRIENDS from talking about me. I want them to know that it's not over till it's over - that's the challenger in me.

However, what keeps me motivated is a different story. I want to fit into those old clothes I can't wear. I want the size I use to be. I want to feel ENERGIC AND LIVELY. I want to prove to myself that NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE. I want to stop buying "temp" clothes. Finally, I want to be THE ME I ONCE KNEW; stedfast and determined. Even as I write these words, I'm being MOTIVATED!!!!!

What about you?

DesertRose

Last edited by DesertRose : Fri, Nov-09-01 at 20:01.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Nov-08-01, 22:05
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 210/194/130
BF:
Talking Bikini!!!

My motivation is summertime. I refuse to spend another summer in pants or baggy shorts and T-shirts. Once upon a time I could wear a bikini and look great. Well, that time is gonna happen again! I don't want to miss out on all the beach fun because I'm ashamed of my body. And living in Michigan with all these lakes around here, it's depressing when you're at home hiding from the world on a beautiful 80 degree day and everyone else is having fun in the sun. But I say this: Watch out world, cuz here I come...bikini-clad and all!!

Angie
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Nov-08-01, 22:17

Plan: Atkins,PP
Stats: 202/147/120
BF:
Progress: 67%

Yo!

I started on this diet again coz i watched an entertainment host talking abt her new diet. which is somewhat similar to low-carbing. she said a female star told her how to diet and live healthy....so thats where i decided that "Hey I have done the right thing before, so why wait to go back on the diet?"

Subsequently, i am also motivated by my better health and most importantly, how i looked. I have a firmer body now....And beginning to have more and more confidence! And perhaps soon I'll have a boyfriend.....not sure, but i've got a guy who is always nervous in front of me~

hope these will also motivate all of you too~

#4   ^
Old Thu, Nov-08-01, 22:47

BF:
Smile Watch Out!!!!

Hi Angie & Fumih_81,

I'm motivated all over again!!! You go girls!!!!!

DesertRose
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Nov-09-01, 00:49
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Sanity!

I was so out of control with sugar that it had almost completely consumed my life. I hated sneaking around with cookies in my pockets, eating tubs of ice cream, being a complete hellion and falling into sugar induced brain dead comas.

Low carbing has given me back my sanity...at least most of the time!

Karen
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Nov-09-01, 05:00

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: //2002
BF:and feeling great
Progress: 99%

My motivation is the pride I take in knowing that I only need to go thru a lesson once to learn it.

I don't ever want to have to go thru the *lose* process again. That 1-yr, 8-mos, 15-days was enough, thank you very much.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Nov-09-01, 07:09
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%
Cool

My motivation is like Karen.
At the ripe old age of 8, I was put on a diet and for the last 29 years I have been on hundreds of diets, I yoyoed like the best of them. It got to the point, food as well as myself were the enemy. I was weak/ lazy/ low self esteem according to family, friends, and unfortunately doctors.
LCing as made me appriciate food. I worry less about "gaining" weight. I feel confident and that is a wonderful feeling.
A secondary motivation is the fact I do not want to be addicted to any food especially carbs!! Withdrawal is a terrible thing to go through.. twice!! Yips!!
Motivation in seeing others who are successful with their body image is another plus that this board gives me. Thank you!
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Nov-09-01, 08:10

Stats: 285/252/180 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 31%

My life experience mirror's most everyone on this posting. Having been over weight most all of my life.. at least as long as I can remember, (being 'chubby') etc. About 3 years ago, I did a life changing seminar and lost 150 pounds. Which put me at 238. Felt great!! Wanted to lose about 40 more and then my father died, I miscarried and totalled my car all in one year!!! I got really sick at the end of the year and in all of this I gained 40 ---- I am not being too hard on myself about the weight gain.. But now, a year later.. I am ready to rock!!!!!

Motivation now ---- to feel good! I love the word ~VITALITY~ . It means that how I take care of myself shows up in who I am ... feeling sexy to myself... physically feeling well .... having confidence...stepping out there...etc.

I just turned 40!!!!! and I am reinventing myself!!!!

Hey DesertRose --- thanks for asking that question... it go me energized ----

BTW --- we are neighbors!!!! atleast we are in the same state anyway... finally... someone from AZ.

Ramona

Last edited by RamonaK : Fri, Nov-09-01 at 08:19.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Nov-09-01, 12:26

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 170/160/130
BF:
Progress: 25%

I have been wanting to loose weight for years, but the more depressed I got about my weight the more I ate. It was never ending. What was the final straw was that I was diagnosed with polycystic ovarian disorder. Basically my hormones are all out of whack and my cycles are non-existant. I read about a woman with the same problem who started low-carbing and discovered it corrected her imbalance. Basically I think I have a resistance to insulin so my body over produces insulin when I eat carbs. The high levels of insulin are interfering with my other hormones and preventing them from doing their job. I haven't completed my first week yet on this diet so I don't have any news to report yet on it's success. I'm hopeful that the low carb thing will get my body back in normal working order..and if I loose a few pounds in the process GREAT!
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Nov-09-01, 13:02

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 260/260/155 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

What a motivating thread. I love reading the stories behind the motivation. It is even better then just reading the daily stories because it makes everyone seem real.

I too, have been a bit over weight most of my life but not out of control. About four years ago I lost 35 lbs and was hiking a lot. In October of 1997 I hiked the Grand Canyon rim to rim, a tough but incredible hike. I was 47 and weighed 162 and was in pretty good shape. Then, starting in January 1998 it seemed all hell broke loose. My best friend and traveling buddy died, I got laid off, I had some financial difficulties, I moved four times in three years living in three different states and three countries. Laid off from a job I loved, I ended up in work situations that were less then supportive and I really missed my spiritual community in San Diego.

In June of this year I accepted a new job in Germany and am now in a better work environment. My daughter and son-in-law live three hours away and I became a grandmother this week. My motivation is wanting to take my grandson hiking and camping both here in Germany and in the US some day. I really want to get back into hiking shape, lower my bloodpressure and cholestoral and feel better about myself. I am just tired of being unhappy and depressed. I am ready for an attitude adjustment!!! That keeps me motivated.

Thanks for letting me share. Susan
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Nov-09-01, 13:05
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins modified
Stats: 280//180
BF:
Progress:

After years of yo-yo dieting, I have only 1 motivation. I want to be able to go on amusement rides with my son when he is old enough. I will never take them, airline or movie seats for granted again.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Nov-09-01, 13:08

Stats: 135/128/110
BF:
Progress: 28%

Hello everyone
My motivation stems mostly from the fact that while I have never been more than 20-30 pounds overweight, I have always seemed to have a high percentage of FAT! And having a baby didnt really help that hehe...I look in the mirror and know what I could be, and that's what keeps my spirits up! Day one of induction for me, so I don't have a lot experience, but so far, is going very very well! I also want to feel good, physically, I am always tired, either I can't sleep or I wanna sleep too much, and I just have never really felt that great physically..of course, I like beer so that doesnt help matter any But, no more beer for me except maybe down the road 1 or 2, another part of healhfully living for me, I know that in itself will be a huge help!

*hugs*~Amy
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Nov-09-01, 17:02

Stats: 145?/131/125 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress:
Default Motivation

My motivation is being and feeling healthy....and also being told how great I look (I'm not sure that I really do...but it's sure nice to be told!!). I meet people I used to work with 10-15 years ago...and they tell me I haven't changed a bit. I think part of that is all the water we drink, which helps our complexions as well as keeping the weight off.

I personally think I'm more in control of my life now that when I was 10-15 years younger.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Nov-09-01, 19:46

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

My motivation:

1) Abs
2) BP under 130 / 75
3) Abs
4) 18% body fat
5) Abs
6) Size 8 leather pants
7) Abs
8) Happiness
9) Resting heart rate of 60
10) ..... guess

Nat
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Nov-09-01, 20:29

BF:

Hi Everyone

Ramona ---- WOW, I'll never look at "vitality" the same way again. I love your definition!! It is good to know someone as motivated as you are lives in AZ.

I'm soaking up all the motivations!!!

This is a great site!!!!

I LOVE THIS PLACE!!!!

Can you feel it?

DesertRose