Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Canada
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Apr-14-04, 13:02

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/179.5/140 Female 5'0"
BF:43%/43%/25%
Progress: 12%
Default Vancouver LC Friendly Restaurants

After reading a similar thread for Winnipeg, I thought I'd start one up for Vancouver. So what restaurants do you frequent that have good low carb options?

Here's what I've found so far:

Swiss Chalet - yummy rotisserie chicken with vegetables/salad

White Spot - Low Carb Menu & they have a new low carb burger wrapped in lettuce

Boston Pizza - Low Carb Menu

Memphis Blues Barbecue House - delicious array of assorted barbecued meats and they always serve the barbecue sauce on the side (not much in the way of veggies though, just meat galore!!!!)
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Apr-15-04, 23:54
Registered Member

Stats: 165/135/125 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 75%

TGIFriday offers a low-carb menu. the entire from page of the menu is now low-carb options. They aren't TOO low carb, though. My DH and i have been to the Metrotown TGIF twice now. They have lo carb hot wings served with broccoli, low carb Caesar salad, a fish dish, a few other things. The lowest I saw was 5 carbs (fish) and the highest about 17. All together maybe 8 items - a few appetizers, a salad, couple of entrees. No bad if you ned to eat out!

SubWay's lo carb wraps are kinda useless. The wraps themselves have about 9 carbs, and if you choose not to eat it you can just eat the filling for far less; it just seems a bit of a ripoff to pay $8 for a few pieces pf chicken, dressing, cheese, lettuse and a couple of black olives. Coulda made THAT myself! I understand you can get it made as a salad, though, which is a lot bigger and a better value. We missed that option when we went.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Apr-17-04, 12:56

Stats: 227/227/175 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default subway salad

Subway : I was on the run yesterday and had their spinach salad with Atkins honey mustard dressing. It was really good, I will probably have it again. Though it was pricey at 7.49 but when you are rushed it was a good choice. I agree with the wraps
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Apr-18-04, 14:25
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

I have to say that any restaurant I've been to in Vancouver - except the obvious like "Pete's House of Pasta" or "Wing's Wonton and Noodles" - have low-carb choices.

For blow-out $$$ dining, West on Granville, The Cannery and Morton's of Chicago.

Not quite as $$$, more like $$ are Parkside and Vij's. For Japanese, Guu in Gastown, 375 Water St. has some excellent choices. The Popi Salad with spinach, bacon, mushrooms and canned tuna is great. There's some fried noodle-y bits but I pick them out. There is Guu with Garlic 1698 Robson in the West End. Louder than the Guu in Gastown. Neither serve sushi.

I love Swiss Chalet and only have the salads at Subway.

For cheap and cheerful, Earls has the best wings - IMHO - and an OK Caesar salad. Milestone's has a lot of choices but there is a coating on the wings. The steaks at Cactus Club are good. And rebma is right about Memphis Blues. It's fabulous but the only vegetable options are salad and collard greens cooked with pork but they're pretty delish. If you're ever there and beef ribs are the special, get them!

Karen
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Apr-18-04, 14:32

Stats: 185/179.5/140 Female 5'0"
BF:43%/43%/25%
Progress: 12%

I went to Memphis Blues Barbecue House for the second Friday in a row and it was yummy once again! The brisket is soooo good!
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Apr-18-04, 23:08
Registered Member

Stats: 165/135/125 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 75%

Karen, I heard a rumor that you had done a class on lo-carb sushi. I am a total sushi freak. Do you have recipes posted somewhere? Or are you doing another class? Is there a place to get lo-carb sushi?
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Apr-19-04, 01:13
Forum Founder

BF:

Yeah, I taught a low-carb Japanese class a little while ago at City Square and sushi was one of the items. I'll let you know if I teach it again. You can go to restaurants that serve sushi and ask for rolls that only contain seafood, cucumber and avocado but there is no specific low-carb sushi that I know of.

Karen
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Apr-19-04, 18:35
Registered Member

Stats: 132/120/115
BF:
Progress: 71%

Yuji's (Japanese "tapas") on West 4th serves a sushi trio (nigiri type) made with tofu rather than rice.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Apr-19-04, 18:41
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins-ish
Stats: 225/178/155 Male 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 67%

ROXY BURGER (Granville St.) - Lot's of options, usually under $10 total.

FALAFEL KING (Denmen St.) - Special order the Chicken Shwarma in a to go box, and eat like a salad. We eat this at least twice a week.

WENDY'S - 2 Jr. Bacon Cheezeburgers (no bun or tomato) can squish together nicely (meat on the outside) for a quick (but a little messy) meal.

On another note... The only bad Subway wraps are the pre-determined Atkin's ones that they advertise... we go there all the time and order a variety of 6" subs (on Atkins wrap) and they're A LOT more filling than the ones promoted on the sign.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Apr-26-04, 23:53

Stats: 210/190/135 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 27%

Rugby on Broadway & Oak-menu divided up in proteins, carbs, & veggies so they make it very easy for lcers

Romio's on 4th-Greek restaurant that is more than happy to substitute rice for greek salad & not put any tsatizki on your souvlaki

Nando's Chicken-roasted chicken with different rubs. The workers on the one in Ackroyd will let you know which rub has sugar in it
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Apr-27-04, 01:00

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 145/117/120 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress:

I tried the Quizno's low carb BLT on the weekend. I'm on low carb to manage my diabetes so I did a blood test before I ate it, and did two more, one and two hours later. The results were great: 5.3 after one hour, 5.1 after two. According to Quiznos, the carb content is 8.7 grams with the sauce and 6.7 without. I'll certainly have it again.

Karen D.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, May-03-04, 12:05

Stats: 191/177/148 Female 5ft. 6.5 inches
BF:40.40%/38.10/?
Progress: 33%

I ate at the Rugby Club last weekend, and there are lots of delicious protein choices. Everything is ordered separately, so you can order prawns, chicken etc. with veg of your choice. No need to have bread, potatoes etc. even come to the table. The food is really good too. I will go back there, for sure.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Sep-23-04, 10:00
WannaHaveFun

Plan: protvegfatprotvegfatprotv
Stats: 183/165/155 Female 67 in
BF:
Progress: 64%

I'm so happy to find this thread.

Question about Nando's chicken: Does anybody know which of the rubs are sugar-free? I would've thought the 3 hot ones would be okay but who knows? Last time I ordered a caeser without croutons, it was more like a sauce on the chicken, and they put croutons on anyway. But their stuff is pretty good when you're stuck at a mall.

They also told me once their wings are breaded but they don't look like they are--has anyone tried them?

And about Memphis Blues: Karen says the ribs are good so I'll try them next time. Thoughts, anyone? I must say I worry a bit about all the sauces they provide, especially since they're so delish (and I grew up in the south so find it hard to resist that cornbread). I like that you can get their meat on a salad, which isn't too bad (actually has some green leaves in it!).
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Sep-24-04, 10:54

Plan: HCG/LCHF
Stats: 224/201/190 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 68%

So far no one has mentioned the Fish House, which has a full low carb menu in addition to the regular one! Can you say "delicious"???

I, too, like Rugby Club and Memphis Blues. Rugby is a bit loud and they seem to promise you the moon in terms of seating when you make a reservation but then welch on the deal when you get there... I don't like that at ALL! Memphis Blues is yummy but I tend to overeat when there - probably because I am filling up on meat and it tastes so good and there is so much of it! Every time I've been, we've ordered the $30 platter...
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Sep-24-04, 19:55
Forum Founder

BF:

Quote:
Question about Nando's chicken: Does anybody know which of the rubs are sugar-free?
I've looked at the labels on the bottles of sauce and none of them have sugar. BUT, there is sugar in the cure that Memphis uses on their meats.

Karen