Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Apr-17-04, 17:37

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 162/153/130 Female 5' 8
BF:for/get/it
Progress: 28%
Default A question about running

I have a question. I love to run (usually 5-6 days a week) but almost every day after about 5 minutes I start getting these annoying side cramps. I always warm up, then stretch a little -- then run. These side cramps are making me have to slow down my run!!! What can I do to stop this?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Apr-17-04, 19:36

Plan: Yudkin
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 000
BF:
Progress: 100%

Here is a couple of good advice from Runnersworld:

"Side Stitches
Side stitches can be a major pain -- especially when they pop up during a hard workout or race. Here's how to deal Definition:
A sharp pain usually felt just below the rib cage (though sometimes farther up the torso), caused by a cramp in the diaphragm, gas in the intestines or food in the stomach. Stitches normally come on during hard workouts or races.

Remedies:
If you get a stitch on your right side (which is more common),
slow down for 30 seconds or so and exhale forcefully each time your left foot hits the ground. If the stitch is on the left, exhale hard when your right foot lands. Continue until pain recedes. If this doesn't help, try slow, deep "belly breathing" (your abdomen should go in and out with each breath). Or run with your hands on top of your head and your elbows back while you breathe deeply from your belly.

Another remedy is to take your fist and dig it under your ribcage, push the fist in with your other arm and bend your torso over almost to 90 degrees. Run like this for 10 steps. This stretches the diaphragm, and most stitches are caused by a spasm of the diaphragm. If none of these techniques work, stop and walk until the pain subsides.

And here's a no-brainer: to prevent stitches caused by food in the stomach, don't eat before you run."

My own recommendation/experience to PREVENT similar: start slowly, breathing from belly.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Apr-17-04, 20:25

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 162/153/130 Female 5' 8
BF:for/get/it
Progress: 28%

so this is caused by eating before a run?
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Apr-17-04, 21:02

Plan: Yudkin
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 000
BF:
Progress: 100%

For the majority of runners it is either eating OR by shallow, fast breathing.
If you want to eat something before run, eat it one hour earlier. If the problem is not the eating, simpy start slower, and the most important: learn to breath from your belly. Try it first sitting or lying. Then try it while walking.

Check this previous thread about this same problem, you can read more opinions:
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...25&page=1&pp=10

Last edited by Galadriell : Sat, Apr-17-04 at 21:13.