Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Apr-13-04, 13:17

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/180/145 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 13%
Default Looking for an Atkins buddy! (preferably another mom with small kid(s)) :)

Hi! My name is Andrea and I started the Atkins Induction phase yesterday. I found this cool site today and I'm hoping to find a buddy! I'm a mom with an almost three year old little boy (cutest thing in the world!) and I'd love to have another mom to chat with and find encouragement from. I have about 40 lbs to lose to get to my goal weight. My interests include voice, piano, reading, quilting, and I also love cake decorating. (sigh, won't be doing much of the last one for a while, lol).

Anyways, if anyone out there would be interested in having an accountability partner, please post or send me an e-mail. Thanks so much and God bless!

~Andrea
"I can do all things through Him who gives me strength."
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Apr-14-04, 09:52
Brown-Eyed Girl

Stats: 260/153/155 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 102%

Welcome aboard Andrea. I have 2 step - daughters ages 10 & 7 and 2 daughters ages 8 and 3.. I started Atkins in September 2003 and have lost almost 50 lbs.. This WOE is incredible and with motivation and dedication It CAN be done.

Welcome Aboard!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Apr-14-04, 10:17

Stats: 148/125/121 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 85%

Hi Andrea! And welcome!
I have three children. 2 at home ages 8 & 10 and one out of the house who is 23. I am clear across the country now, but I lived in Ohio for 13 years. My dad still has a farm in Columbiana. On the boarder of Ohio and PA.
Can't wait to see your progress!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Apr-14-04, 16:50

Stats: 195/148/150 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Hi Andrea and welcome! I am Karen, mom to Anthony (9) and Victor (27 mos old). I've had the weight problem since Vic was born (and have around the same amount of weight to lose as you do). I just began low-carbing this month too but am going slow because Vic still nurses a bit.

I also play piano and am church organist/choir director at a small Methodist church. It's great to "meet" you.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Apr-15-04, 06:16

BF:
Default Thanks for replying! :)

Thanks gals for replying! I was very exited this morning when I weighed in and saw my first 2 lb loss! I know there's a long haul ahead, but with God's help it can be done.

Right now I'm experiencing bad headaches every evening and lots of fatigue. Did this happen to any of you when you were first starting? We own our own cleaning business and it's been torture because we clean in the evenings.

Also, I was wondering if it's okay to take Calcium? (like tums, ect) Because I know that's supposed to help with weight loss but the bottle doesn't say if it contains any carbs or not.

I hope everyone has a great day and God bless!

~Andrea
"I can do all things thru Him who gives me strength."
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Apr-15-04, 09:09

Stats: 148/125/121 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 85%

Morning Andrea!
YEAH!!!!! 2 pounds!!! You are on your way!!!
I am not sure about the calcium thing. I know you can get it in your foods. Broccoli, kale and cheeses. There is also a little in creams.If you are looking at calcium intake just for losing faster, I would wait. You just lost 2 pounds in 2 days! How much faster do you want to go?! lol
Are you taking a multi vitamin, too? The only ones I found w/out iron are the senior vitamins, but they are great. That will probably help with the energy thing. And just wait... between day 3-5 (generally) you will all of a sudden get a surge of energy and you will be zooming past dh with your cleaning supplies and leaving him in the dust!
I didn't get any headaches, but my friend did when she started from the caffine w/drawal. I usually only get headaches when my allergies and sinuses kick them off.
Hope you have a blessed day!
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Apr-15-04, 09:25
Brown-Eyed Girl

BF:

2 lbs.. Congratulations.. I remember those (good old days) when the scale was really my best friend.. Now, that I've been doing this a while, things have slowed down a bit. I complain about it, but really I know it's necessary if all this weight is ever going to stay off. Besides, just knowing how long/hard it was to loose it should be plenty of motivation not to fall off track and gain it all back.

I had a little bit of a headache when I first started which, for me, was probably a bit of a combination of kicking the carbs and Pepsi. (I've been Pepsi-free since September 22, with not 1 single slip.. and never thought it could be done. ) Give it another day or so, and the headaches, lightheadedness, and tireness will disappear. I never really experienced a burst of energy, but I sure got my old pre-induction energy back.

Glad to meet all of you.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Apr-15-04, 09:44

Stats: 272/199/175 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 75%
Default Welcome!

Hi Andrea...welcome aboard! I have 2 daughters, Cassidy (4) and Lindsay (2) and am also a singer.

After the first week of induction, you'll feel much better. I take calcium supplements (500 mg 2/x a day) and think it does help with weight loss. I also take a multi vit.

Best of luck...this is a great place for support and advice!
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Apr-16-04, 09:26

BF:

I'm happy to report that my headaches did not return last night! Yay! I still feel however like I'm recovering from the flu or something, very low energy level. Just walking around the house gets me tired and I have to drag myself out of bed in the mornings, (and I'm usually a morning person). Hopefully the headaches gone is a sign that my body is starting to adjust to the low carb thing. We're cleaning tonight so I'll guess I'll see how that goes with the energy level. At least I'll know that while I'm cleaning I'll be exercising and losing weight (instead of knowing I just snacked on something from the gas station like I used to do). Thanks for all the support here. God bless!

~Andrea
"I can do all things thru Him who gives me strength."
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Apr-26-04, 13:35
Brown-Eyed Girl

BF:

Anyone still around here? It's been a while.