Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Nov-08-01, 07:41

Plan: Atkins/ Protein Power
Stats: 173/140/140 Female 69.5
BF:2ndX w/ Atkins
Progress: 100%
Default What everybody done to jump start their weight loss?

I'm going to try uping my cal's to see if there's a change, but I thought others may have better suggestions...

anytakers

Thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Nov-08-01, 08:05

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:

Erin, you're weight loss is going along great, do you think you need to jump start it? I know it's nice to see the numbers go down, and I have been there, thinking "I should do a fat fast" or "Maybe i'll cut out all dairy for a week" because the scales haven't moved for a few days, then boom, the next day they move. It is important that your body trust what you're doing to it; specially if you've had a history of yo you dieting and restricted calorie dieting. As LC likes to say the body will pause as it loses; think of it as your fat cells regrouping and reorganizing. Your body does like to take that odd time out. If what you're doing is working (and it certainly seems to be ) keep at it.

Nat
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Nov-08-01, 08:34

Thanks Nat, I knew you would be the voice of reason and get me back on the ground Maybe I'll give it until the I hit the one week mark...

I think that I may not be eating enough cals and that the problem (well as long as that bread episode is out of my system), can you make any suggests there - macadamia nuts, cream cheese...well maybe not the diary...

What's involved in a food fast? Is that the creamcheese/macadamia nuts thing from atkins...I can look that recipe up if it is...

Thanks
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Nov-08-01, 08:47

BF:

Yep, fat fast is 1000 calories, 90% fat and 10% carbs. It's HARD Erin. I dont ever want to try another one. You can read all about them under "group journals" the Study Group in Aug / Sept included them in their project.

Been less than a week huh? Give yourself the benefit of the doubt, and be patient. If you're seriously not eating enough then by all means increase the calories - slowly. How do you feel about sipping flax oil? Only half kidding. Doreen does. So does Karen (I think) something they started after that study project. I mix it with a protein shake, 120 calories, omega 3 EFA and no carbs.

I know you're drinking your water and I know you're still losing body fat. You'll see the results eventually. Fat cells can only hold out so long in the presence of all that liquid coming in.

Nat
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Nov-08-01, 08:56

That was really encouraging...I'm such a wierdo, the smallest things are what get to me. Alright...I'll check out the group journal after I FINISH and hand in this crazy Paper I'm working on for class (that's why I was on all night, I kept the window on while I was working - just in case anyone was wondering why I'm always here)...then I'll do some reading and possibly visit the only nutritional store.

Nat all the protein shakes I've seen, have carbs in 'em. Have you ever heard of "milk and egg" protein mix? I bought it to make pancakes, but instead I made cardboard I was thinking about trying that in a shake, but it has some sugars...what's your brand?
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Nov-08-01, 09:01

BF:

I use "todietfor" chocolate; It's not bad if you half the required scoops and add a tbsp of whipping cream.

4 tbsp Atkins bake mix
3 tbsp almond flour (ground almonds)
1/2 cup cottage cheese
1 tbsp splenda
1 egg
2 tbsp whipping cream

The above makes great pancakes (about 8 - 10) of them, throw in some blueberries if you like.

N
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Nov-08-01, 09:12

This almond flour you speak of, do you grind up almonds, or can you buy it that way?? and how many carbs are in those pancakes?
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Nov-08-01, 10:46

BF:

You can buy almond flour already ground from almonds, or you can do it yourself in a coffee bean grinder. I buy mine in bulk and keep a container in the fridge.

Quote:
Cottage Cakes breakdown

Amount Per 1 serving
Calories 560
Total Fat 28g 43%
Total Carbohydrate 18g 6%
Dietary Fiber 6g 24%
Protein 62g 124%

1/2 the recipe with some bacon is a filling meal, ECC for the pancakes is around 6g (carbs - fiber)

Nat
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Nov-08-01, 11:06
Registered Member

Plan: atkins hybrid
Stats: 159/128/125 Female 63 in
BF:
Progress: 91%

Quote:
Originally posted by Natrushka
Erin, you're weight loss is going along great, do you think you need to jump start it
Nat

Hi Erin -- I TOTALLY agree with Nat about this. You must be patient -- even though that's a new skill us lowcarbers have difficulty learning -- the weight comes off if you just "keep on keeping on" (I think that is a southern US term). My weight loss is soooooo slow that I can only weigh once a week or I get discouraged and want to quit. But his list has been so supportive and helped me see that we all lose at our own rate and that to compare ourselves with others is doing a disservice.
Hang in there!
Anita
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Nov-08-01, 14:33

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/218/144
BF:48/42.3/22
Progress: 26%
Default Jump Starting My Weight Loss

I have decided to give atkins a try...on day 2 of induction...I was losing on CALP, but only 2 lbs in the last 3 weeks.

I know that I should have patience. And I know that because I have spent the majority of my life on one diet or another...yo-yo-ing, I will probably lose pretty slowly...which is okay. But I am in a hurry just to fit into a size 18. I can't even explain why this size is going to make me happy...I mean it is still really big...but I think that getting there is my first major goal. So...like I said...have switched to Atkins.

Also I have started the dreaded exercise. Although I don't mind the weight training at all...in fact...believe it or not...I really like it. It is the cardio that I hate. I am a big time smoker. [breaking that habit will come later] and getting my heart rate up is really exhasting. Anyhow...I started some cardio today. I have done some skipping with a rope in my living room, and been dancing to fast music...looks pretty rediculous, but nobody is home, so I'm okay there. [THANK GOD THE DOG CAN'T TALK...OR LAUGH...LOL]
So I have done 2 sprints of 10 mins so far...and will do another before the kids get home from school... and then I promised my precious puppy I would take her for a walk at the doggy park...that is a good 45 mins.

Sorry...didn't mean to make a book of it, but that is what I am doing in hopes of speeding up my weight loss a bit.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Nov-09-01, 08:45
Registered Member

Stats: 213/213/145
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default LILWANNABE

I so understand size 18!!! It was this that made me come back to Atkins :-) I started this at 226 and now am 211 (And I'm complaining about not getting this done faster). My size 18 happened for me :-) You can do it too!!!! Next is squishing into a 16 (zipper undone probably).

Your exercise program is better than mine, I will have to strive to be more like you!

I quit smoking on 10/16/98 and don't regret a minute of it - I was nearly 2 packs a day when I quit. You go girl!!

I still huff and puff my way up the stairs and there are only 13!!

Good luck and congratulations on your new resolve!!!
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Nov-09-01, 08:56

BF:
Default Re: Jump Starting My Weight Loss

Quote:
Originally posted by lilwannabe
Also I have started the dreaded exercise. Although I don't mind the weight training at all...in fact...believe it or not...I really like it. It is the cardio that I hate

Lil, boy do I have some great news for you I'll preface that statement with this : If you'd like a good read about LC and why it works as well as it does, I suggest you get a copy of Protein Power Lifeplan (Eades), a must have for all LCers. The Eades recommend that if you're going to do only one form of exercise to help your weight loss that you do weight training / resistance work.

Quote:
They suggest that one way to optimize one’s weight/fat loss but maintain or even gain muscle is to concentrate on resistance exercises, otherwise known as weightlifting. By increasing your muscle mass by lifting weights, you are increasing your body’s calorie requirement to maintain that new muscle tissue. Also, they suggest both walking and brief bursts of intense cardio, like sprinting or jumping for 30 seconds. These intense sessions of alternating rest and intense exertion may only last for a total of 10 minutes and are done only a couple of times per week. The idea is to do what our bodies were designed to - chasing game, or avoiding the game chasing you. These types of cardio apparently strengthen the immune system and provide all kinds of additional benefits without the incredible expense in terms of time.

Aerobic activity, while having positive health benefits, only does you immediate good for the hour you're in the gym. Weight training on the other hand helps you burn more calories and raise you metabolism the other 23 hours.

Warning though, reading PPL will make you want to quit smoking That's part of what did it for me.

Nat
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Nov-09-01, 10:48

Well...it looks like I will be off to the book store AGAIN. I feel like I am going to know all these LC diets pretty soon. But I do like the concept of the PPLP.
Anyhow, just to clear things up, yesterday, I did not get to do the last 10 minute burst, because I got company. I didn't take the dog for her 45 minute walk to the doggy park either. But I did take her to the local park...so that was about 1/2 hour walk. I was satisfied with what I did yesterday. That is quite a bit for the spud that I have let myself become.
Today I plan to do my weights, and take the dog to the doggy park. She loves it there, and understands when I tell her that is where we are going. My hubby and I are both going. I may pull out that skipping rope again, but I don't know if I can do it with hubby home. [He would never laugh at me, but I think I am just too fat for anyone to see that poundage flopping about]. Maybe I can get him to go out somewhere.
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Nov-10-01, 12:02

So...I didn't get to do my weights yesterday. Frankly...I just didn't feel like it. I did get a headache. It is the first one that I have had in some time, and didn't want to take anything for it, so just felt the pain, and didn't want to agrivate it by exercising.

Feeling much better today, going back to the doggy park for another walk today...and I promise I will get the weights done today too.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Nov-12-01, 12:59

Default Soo I looked in to the fasts, but now there's no need:)

So this morning, when I weighed myself, 2 pounds, gone. I think that's the biggest jump over 1 day, for me anyway. I am so happy that whatever was going on, finally stopped. I wish I could have figured out what the problem was. It could have been the 8 carb bread that I had Sun-Tues, or an overdose of macadamia nuts, I really don't know, it could also be that I need to stop eating late at night - but who knows. I"m going to make all those corrections, despite the true culperate. I did up my fats this weekend and ate more throughout the day yesterday, so I may continue on this route as well.

I also think those mock danishs and mcmuffins have saved me b/c in the morning - I am the laziest person alive (plus I hate making dirty dishes)...so instead of grabbing nuts, pepperoni, I'm making the "mocks" - actually one of each and I LOVE THEM. After about week 2, I could touch normal eggs anymore, I had a overdose, but not anymore.

Also, looking into those fasts, I think the only one I could ever do is the 'meats only' one. The atkins one seems so structured and my day just won't allow it. Anyway, I don't think I'll be needing it now

Thanks for everyones' support.