Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Apr-14-04, 19:50
Registered Member

Plan: Warrior LC
Stats: 222/201/191 Male 180 cm
BF:30%/12%/12%
Progress: 68%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyJourney
Lifting weights or training aerobically at moderate to high intensity levels, our primary source of energy is from carbohydrates

This one is again a very bad piece of info, in fact a definite lie. Again.

People can work out or train entirely on fat, I know a lady who could cycle 400 km on one day without eating at all, burning fat. I know there is a doctor on Atkins diet who did or does the Ironman triatlons on low carb, burning fat.

In former days the cyclist of the tour de france ate heavy fat meals of eggs, saucages for breakfast. A typical low carb start! I myself take during the day no or little carbs and cycle 2 times a week for 70 minuts over 28 km. Or play tennis, or workout.

Last edited by watcher16 : Wed, Apr-14-04 at 19:57.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Apr-15-04, 03:21
Fitday PC's #1 Fan

Plan: Maintenance
Stats: 310/151.0/152.5 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 101%

This is a great article to read in the morning over breakfast!

Because of low carb, I can now have a 1/2 hour to and hour run in the morning BEFORE eating breakfast with plenty of enrgy and no low blood sugar problems. That would be totally impossible for me on higher level of carbs. Low carb sure didn't bother my run this morning!

Lynda
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Apr-15-04, 10:31
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyJourney
I disagree with the article too :-) I just posted it here for discussion. I post both positive and negative
So it is a fake discussion . I like to read about what one thinks or does. Not about opinions from others or hear say. Doesn´t that make sense?

Placing articles is ok imho if you also state some own opinion with it.
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Apr-15-04, 15:31
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

Quote:
So it is a fake discussion . I like to read about what one thinks or does. Not about opinions from others or hear say. Doesn´t that make sense?

How does my posting a published article make the discussion surrounding it fake?

This is a section for research and media. I dont recall reading anything in the forum rules about a requirement to post my own personal thoughts or opinions on any article I post here.

If I want to start a thread with my own personal thoughts and opinions I would do it under the Atkins section of this board or wherever else I felt it appropriate based on what I wanted to write about.

The majority of posts in this section are all articles that journalists have written. The individulas on this board who post these articles sometimes post their personal thoughts and sometimes do not. That doesnt mean that all the responses in the thread that discuss the article are somehow fake simply because the original poster didnt share a personal opinion on it.

I post enough on these boards and most people who read any of my posts pretty much know how I feel about certain things anyway. I dont feel I am obligated to post an opinion to every single article I put up. Sometimes I just like to put them up to share with everyone else and see what others have to say.
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Apr-15-04, 16:10
Registered Member

Plan: Cudmore
Stats: 342/310/180 Male 68
BF:34
Progress: 20%

Our muscles burn sugar. When the sugar stored in the muscles is consumed, the body turns to stored energy. Many of us on low carb plans are overweight and thus have plenty of stored energy to burn without our bodies converting our muscles into fuel. So what this guy is saying might be true for athletes but really does not apply to the average person out there. As long as one is putting high quality fuel into there bodies (i.e. limiting processed foods) then you should be okay an feel great on a low carb regime.
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Apr-15-04, 16:28
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by watcher16

That's nice.

This forum, if you take a peek at the title, is "LC Research/Media". What that means to me is that we take items of interest concerning our WOE from the media and discuss it.

There's other forums here dedicated to discussion of things one thinks and does, but this one it is appropriate to post articles and that sort of thing and then discuss them. At least, that seems to be what we have been doing all this time.

Frankly, its my favorite forum here.
  #22   ^
Old Fri, Apr-16-04, 13:39

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 270/190/190 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress:

Forgive me for not taking medical advice from a "strength and conditioning expert "
Thanks for sharing.
  #23   ^
Old Fri, Apr-16-04, 14:21
Registered Member

<Performance levels are poor when exercising and following the Atkins diet - why? >

Ok then, sorry people. I was led to think that the title of the thread reflected the opinion of the poster, MyJourney.
I didn't expect it does not reflect your point of view. That why I felt misled. Excuse me.
  #24   ^
Old Sat, Apr-17-04, 00:14

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%
Default High carbs have weakened the human body!!!

Compared to those cultures who are physically active without the benefit of carbs is we have weakened our bodies. Our bodies have a hard time burning fat stores because it is so addicted to carbohydrates. This is why obesity is a big concern in this country. High carb addiction also causes diabetes and other insulin resistant illnesses. But carbs are so much easier to process and burn. This addiction is created through time and it can only be cured with time.

I watched a lecture on PBS on the Lewis and Clark expedition. I watched it mainly to see what this group ate as a diet. They ate venison and worked all day until they dropped, ate vennison and worked all day until they dropped. Why were they able to function well on a very high protein diet but we have to have all kinds of carbs, vegetables ( fruit/carbs ) lean meat etc. to be healthy. It is because our bodies have weakened, thanks to high carb acceptance.
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Apr-21-04, 06:50

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 157/147.5/138 Female 5 ft 6 1/2 in
BF:?/26%/24%
Progress: 50%
Default Don't bash me!!

I have been more-or-less lowcarbing for almost 2 years. I work out 6 days a week (for about 10-12 hrs total per week). 3 days I run (between 4 and 6 miles each time at an average speed of about 7+ mph); 3 days I use my elliptical machine. I also take 4 weight classes and 2 step classes a week.

From my personal experience (others' may have different results) I ALWAYS have a fantastic workout the morning after a day in which I have eaten more than my usual amount of carbs. Any time that I have gone to induction-level carbs, I have found my workouts much more difficult - not impossible, but noticeably harder. If I stay at these low levels of carbs, my workouts improve over time, but they are never as good as when I am eating more carbs. I find that I need between 40-100 carbs a day to perform at my best.
  #26   ^
Old Wed, Apr-21-04, 07:00

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle
Stats: 195/176/125
BF:too much
Progress: 27%

I guess they forgot to ask all those weight lifters that eat low carb.... silly people!