Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Apr-12-04, 17:41

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 136/129/118 Female 5 ft 2 in
BF:
Progress: 39%
Default In this "WOL", other than eating, what things have you changed?

I saw that in some of the posts that there was a Low Carb magazine in circulation. I realise that we've adapted to a new way of eating, but what other things in our lives, that's parallel to the way we eat, do we change? I like to think that I'm a new person who's more vivacious, but other than that this WOE fit perfectly in my life. Have you guys changed anything?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Apr-12-04, 17:54
Registered Member

Stats: 144/133/130 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 79%

Strangely enough, this way of life paralleled some other important life changes. Right now, I'm a lot more structured and disciplined with my morning schedule, more focused during my work day and better at turning in at a reasonable hour every night. Of course this may have to do with the fact that I had to move from California to Michigan, away from the warm weather and my friends.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Apr-12-04, 18:07

Plan: My own, post Atkins
Stats: 180/131/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 123%

i am more serious about my exercise regimens. The exercise is as important to me as diet. Before atkins it was about the same- in a bad way. I always wanted to get more exercise in the same way i wanted to stop eating junk. But i didn't have the willpower to actually do more in the gym. Now, with the huge focus that atkins requires it's not hard, and is in fact, ENJOYABLE to have a focused exercise routine.
Beyond that, i was feeling real ugly and huge (i gained the weight in a year of eating badly; i was thin and suddenly my lovely clothes didn't fit!) I stopped having the urge to get dressed up and go out and do things i enjoy (like dancing, etc.) I didn't realize at the time how much my weight gain had interfered with my lifestyle and mindframe...But, thank god, i'm feeling a lot better and more like my old self. Thanks to this great diet!!!!
The mental change and not feeling like a hideous creature is the most important change that has come about.
Thanks for asking, it helped me realize some of this!!!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Apr-12-04, 19:02

Stats: 203/138/140 Female 65inches
BF:
Progress: 103%

I get out a lot more. Before I was always too embarrassed to be seen out. Now my dh and I go dancing about once a month.

Dh used to always fuss at me about not thinking of myself. I never bought new clothes, I hated to go clothes shopping. Now I get a new outfit everytime I go into town.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Apr-12-04, 20:47

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 198.3/178.7/130 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 29%

I am more happy, I think. I just went through some life changes, too, with breaking up with my BF of 5 years in February. I'm not so moody and grouchy and bad-tempered anymore. And oh! I don't bite my fingernails!!!!!!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Apr-12-04, 20:57

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 213/141/150 Female 5'4 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 114%

The only thing that I've changed besides the woe is that I now exercise regularly. But there are a lot of changes in me that the woe changed...more energy, confidence, not as moody, no low blood sugar symptoms, etc. I would say that the woe has changed me tremendously....definately more than I've changed myself. Great question!
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Apr-12-04, 21:04

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 322/240/140 Female 5'6''
BF:I have no idea
Progress: 45%

I exercise a lot more, read the e archives of Dana Carpender, relax more, take time to restore my soul, and try to be more intentional about having a balanced life.

I guess what I am trying to say is that I am working on the inner healing that needs to happen for me to be able to be in charge of my weight. I like the lc woe/wol but I want to know that in times of stress, stuck in a hotel or at a conference that I will be able to automatically do what is best for me. Marty
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Apr-13-04, 05:55
3 Days at a Time

Plan: OWL
Stats: 150/150/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 16%

I've started taking a lot better care of myself.

I have expensive girly facial cleansers that I use at night and in the morning. I bought nice shampoo to wash my hair. I actually dry and style it sometimes. I give myself manicures and pedicures, or sometimes pay to have them professionaly. I feel better about myself, so now I'm doing more things to make myself feel good.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Apr-13-04, 06:52

Plan: Atkins, keto
Stats: 230/230/150 Female 67.5"
BF:
Progress: 0%

I know this sounds tacky, but I'm more aware of what people around me are eating - before I worried that they were just staring at me, the fat girl with the donut bag. Now I'm staring at them, and thinking, "You know, I could help you learn to eat better and feel better...."
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Apr-13-04, 08:22

Plan: atkins
Stats: 230/223/150 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 9%

I have an exercise time now before it was hit and miss (mostly miss) My self confidence has soared. I now see myself changing jobs for the better.
My world does not evolve around food. If my kids do something and I want to reward them then I am more apt to by them make-up or a nice bra then buy them bad food.
I can deal with my teen agers better and that way things don't get blown out of proportion and that in turn gives me a better relationship with them which makes my whole house happy instead of full of sadness and resentment.
angie
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Apr-13-04, 09:03

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%

I'm also more diligent with my exercise routine....for the first time I really feel like it makes a difference.

I've also stopped most of the medications I've been on for years. And I've been trying to take care of my skin better, am generally more concerned with my health and overall well being.

I've also switched both my pups to "LC".....translate raw feeding....I've become more aware of the garbage they're pawning off as "dog food" too.

Generally I feel better and so I feel better....make sense?
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Apr-13-04, 09:07

Plan: IF & Paleo
Stats: 270/254/150 Female 68 inches
BF:--- too much!
Progress: 13%

I find more joy in life, in the simple things. I try to fill my life with people and activities, not food. The changes are big and small, but amazing all the same.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Apr-13-04, 09:23

Plan: Celiac Disease
Stats: 215/190/115 Female 5'3
BF:35/?/10
Progress: 25%

I would have to agree with freckles, this woe has changed me, the energy and hope I have for a better tomorrow and today. Soon I will be able to go off medication for diabetes and high BP. I already have found the energy to start working in clay again and have gone out and found studio space to work in. I have the energy to work it as if it is a second job. I haven't worked in exercise yet, but I am walking more. My SO has really noticed alot of changes in me so far.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Apr-13-04, 09:24

Plan: Neanderthin/Protein Power
Stats: 160/155/138 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 23%

I do more stuff, like working on the house, pottery... I used to just sit and read for hours or watch TV. Now, I can't seem to sit still anymore. When I sit down to watch TV in the evenings, or read a book, it feels like a well deserved treat, instead of a waste of time.

When we go out to eat, which is less frequent than before, I buy the Steak! I don't buy the cheap, fried, high carb meals. I have decided I'm worth the extra cost.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Apr-13-04, 11:41

Stats: 192/155/145 Female 5'6"
BF:31/26/20
Progress: 79%

1. My finger nails are growing faster and stronger.
2. My hair does not come out as easily.
3. My skin looks clearer.
4. Those stupid stretch marks have gone away....well are going away, I have 2 on my abdomen...
5. I feel good, I look good, and damn I feel happy going shopping for cute spring clothes!