Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Apr-12-04, 10:58

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 210/210/130 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress:
Question Question about using products?

undefined[COLOR=Navy]

Hey everyone..

I am a hesitant newbie. I am somewhat reluctantly starting Atkins...I am mourning the passing of my beloved carbs and wondering if there really is no other way. But, realistically, I think this is the best WOL for me. When I have dabbled in low carb eating I have found that my thinking is clearer and that my allergies seem to magically disappear.

I have the Atkins book, and in addition, i have read some portions of the website, plus other low car websites. My question is are the Atkins products safe to use on induction? Also..I see that many products are now listing net carbs. Net carbs really make me nervous. It sounds too good to actually be able to subtract all of the sugar alcohols out of a product and have minimal impact on blood sugars. Has anyone successfully encorporated these products into their program and still received desired results?

My final question...can I have dill pickles on induction? I am really glad I found this website. The success stories alone are worth it. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Apr-12-04, 11:29
& Dillion Doggie Do!

Plan: Atkins, Maintenance
Stats: 221/172/147 Female 5'6"
BF:Sizes over scale!
Progress: 66%

Hi and welcome aboard!

To answer your first question, you really should have any "produced/frankenfoods" during induction. Stick to the real foods! Its only two weeks you can make it!

Do not worry at all about deduction the fiber count "all of the fiber count" from you total carb count. But be warry on the sugar alcohol count. IT is best to count in atleast 1/3 of the sugar alcohol count to be on the safe side. If the product says 12g sugar alcohol keep about 3g count into your total carbs. This is the safest way to go. Sugar alcohol affect everyone differently. They can stall some people, and other (like myself) they send running to the restroom.

I have no idea on the pickle question, but I am sure someone will come along who does. Good luck!!!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Apr-12-04, 11:33

Plan: Low Carb - My Way!
Stats: 261/177/125 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 62%

Hello!

Welcome, you've come to the right place.

I'm still quite new and just finishing up my first month. My 2 cents - do a clean induction - in other words, no specialty low carb products. The whole idea here is to make the cravings go away, I think by replacing the things you crave with substitutes may prolong the cravings.

After the first week all of my cravings for sweets and starches disappeared. I am still following strict induction as I have a lot yet to lose.

You owe it to yourself! Follow the book for induction - yes, the first few days may be quite rough, but keep telling yourself it will get better - I promise it will! Our stats aren't that different, my start weight was 216. I have lost 23 lbs in the last month - it works!

Pam
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Apr-12-04, 11:46

Plan: My own, post Atkins
Stats: 180/131/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 123%

yeah, you can have dill pickles. They're about 1 carb each. They have a lotta sodium though (if you worry about salt intake/ bloating.)
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Apr-12-04, 12:01
Memere to 4

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 227/199/150 Female 5ft 3in
BF:Too much
Progress: 36%

I disagree. IMHO. You do need to count net carbs as opposed to total carbs. When I was on induction I didn't bother deducting fiber and in turn was eating way too few carbs....hence I wasn't losing as I could have been. I was told to count total carbs on induction.
Welcome to the forums! Picle brine is high sodium so only in moderation...and other atkins products are a (your miles may vary)YMMV thing so I would stick to natural foods so as to not sabbotage yourself before you get started.