Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Apr-11-04, 17:39

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 260/252/160 Female 5'10 inches
BF:
Progress:
Unhappy I Hate Myself :-((

I cheated today!I cannot believe it! I feel AWFUL! My mother-in-law had no sugar-free desserts for Easter, and I decided to cave for the day. But now, I feel physically ill with depression!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Apr-11-04, 17:47

Stats: 162/153/130 Female 5' 8
BF:for/get/it
Progress: 28%

I did the same thing. First, I had ALOT of plain ham to fill myself up. But then caved and had a big scoop of broccolli & rice casserole AND potato salad! I didn't have any of the kid's easter candy (don't like candy) BUT . . . I had a big ol' piece of german chocolate cake. I'm not gonna beat myself up about it, though. Tomorrow is a new day and I WILL get back on track . . . AND YOU CAN TOO!!!!!!!
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Apr-11-04, 17:50

Stats: 239/168.2/150 Female 5'7
BF:whoa boy
Progress: 80%

I succumbed as well. My parents came over for dinner with their own carb-heavy dishes and I decided to go with the flow and join in...

We'll just need to get back on track tomorrow.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Apr-11-04, 18:08
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

You fell off the wagon. You can spend time beating yourself up, which may make you give up, or just give yourself a pep talk. Recognize this is a way of life that involves decisions. This time you made the decision to have some dessert. You may have concequences from it such as a little weight gain, or cravings, but you beat them before and can again.

If you look at it as a diet and cheating, then you set yourself up for failing, or at least beating yourelf up alot. Instead recognize that there are good food choices and bad. Occasionaly we make bad ones, but as long as we are prepared to deal with the concequences it's ok. It only is a problem when the majority of our choices are bad ones, then we need to figure out why we are doing that to ourselves.

It will also help for next time to plan ahead. The 4th of july is coming up, and I think everyone has a problem halloween through new years. Next time maybe bring a dessert of your own to share with everyone, host the dinner yourself, eat before you go, or come up with some other game plan to see you through the night. If you do chosoe to indulge, then have a small piece and savor it instead of a large one, eating fast before your concious can catch up to your hands
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Apr-11-04, 18:14

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

Actually, you probably feel physically ill from the carbs! It was always like this but we didn't recognize the sleepy, vaguely ill feeling as being because of them.

So the next time your body tries to get you to go back to "the easy fuel" (carbs), just remember that the yuckie feeling lasts a LOT longer than the taste of the carbage.

Up you get and plan tomorrow's menus.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Apr-11-04, 18:26

Plan: atkins
Stats: 255/243/185 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 17%

Don't worry, you are not alone, I fell off the wagon today too, I couldn't resist the scalloped potatoes, although i did stay away from the rolls - I don't feel bad, I'll hop back on tomorrow and you can too!!!
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Apr-11-04, 18:27

Plan: atkins
Stats: 200/165/135 Female 5ft4
BF:
Progress: 54%

just to let you know, there is a place called confession booth when things like this happen.

i'm sorry you had a bad day.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Apr-11-04, 18:47

Stats: 282/236/150 Female 67.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 35%

I'm with LadyBelle!

I felt awful about myself "cheating" the first time I ate "non-Atkins" type food. But folks on this site told me--kindly and with love, of course!--to just get over it and move on. I'm going to share a little below, and I don't want you to think I'm lecturing b/c that's not where I'm coming from at all! I just want you to know that we ALL understand, and I personally have been where you are only a couple of months ago and IT WILL get better! (Feel free to PM, if you need to talk!). OK, here goes . . .

Diets kill me. I can't "do" them because, like all humans, I'm not perfect. BUT this is not a "Diet" I'm on now. It is a Way of Eating (or Way of Life). Most of the time, say 62 out of 63 meals (that's how many are in 3 weeks!), I follow the low carb way faithfully. On that one other meal, though, I may "splurge" or eat somethign I didn't intend to, maybe something different for a holiday--just one meal. But, as one of my cheerleaders from this site remarked about 3 months ago, for 62 of 63 meals or more, I'm SO much healthier than I used to be, which is a huge victory. Perspective is everything. Now, I cut myself some slack.

How do I "recover"? Well, I tell myself that 1 meal is better than 2 or 3 or 63. Then, I drink lots of water and get back in the swing of things. I don't beat up on myself or use a non-Atkins meal or food to make myself feel bad. Heck, my self esteem has been bad enough in recent past because of my weight and eating. Now that I'm taking responsibility and being pro-active, and now that I've lost 43lbs and gone from a size 26 to an 18, I actually congratulate myself for not "eating poorly" more than 1 meal every 3 or 4 weeks--what a HUGE improvement! YOU'LL GET THERE too!! Just take a deep breath, start low carbing with the next meal and congratulate yourself for NOT quitting! Even in the face of Easter candy or cake or other yummies.

And, as nonchalant as this sounds (and, believe me, it does NOT feel like a little thing when it happens!) if I gain weight, then I deal with it. I work out more. I cut back to 20 carbs for a couple of days, etc., rather than 25.

If I'm going to do this for the rest of my life, I can't let food be a tragedy or have so much power over my emotions or identity that I feel depressed. This isn't my first instinct, and it may not be yours, either. Hang in there, though, and I bet you'll get better and better at it--and feel better and better about all of your food choices!

One "bad" meal probably didn't get you where you are. It certainly didn't for me. I ate terribly for 4 years, give or take a meal or two every few weeks, and it added up. When I finally admitted it, it was like 4 years-worth of pain to beat myself up with over "getting fat." YIKES!! I was my own worst enemy and critic. It took a while, but now I'd rather think of this WOE as a positive step towards the rest of my life and way longer (I hope and the Good Lord willing! ) than 4 years.

There will be other choices to make, some probably in the near future, but YOU CAN DO IT! This site will help. And, the fact that you cared enough to let US know shows you do want help and don't want it to be a pattern. GOOD FOR YOU!

Thanks for sharing, and feel better! Keep us posted, OK?

And . . . . . Happy Easter!

Sue
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Apr-11-04, 20:02

Plan: Atkins-ish :D
Stats: 210/205/150 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 8%

Ahh no sweat.. I cheated today too...

Had a piece of cheesecake, some jellybeans, a chocolate covered marshmallow.... tomorrow, I pick myself back up and keep on it..
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Apr-11-04, 20:15

Stats: 270/190/190 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress:

Eating poorly one day will not cause you to gain a bunch of weight no more than eating healthy for one day will cause you to lose. It's what you do the majority of the time that really matters. Just think of today as a "refeed" day and continue on with your plans. It looks like you have been doing well so far, keep it up!
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Apr-11-04, 21:06

Stats: 136/129/118 Female 5 ft 2 in
BF:
Progress: 39%
Default It's not the end of the World!

Although, now that you're in a bad mood, not to mention a little sleepy too, it really isn't the end of the world. Just know that your next meal better be a low carb one. Learn from your mistakes.
Next time in the same situation, remember how it felt to eat a no-no

This is my new mantra:
"A moment on the lips, takes one decade on the hips!!"
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Apr-11-04, 21:29
Registered Member

Stats: 135/130/115 Female 5ft 7 1/2in
BF:
Progress: 25%

I slipped up today and ate a piece of apple pie. Surprisingly, I don't feel bad. Back on induction tomorrow though.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Apr-11-04, 21:37
"Natural Mystic"

Stats: 178/108/120 Female 5' 1"
BF:45%/17%/15%
Progress: 121%

Hi Borderline! Sorry it happened.

Tomorrow is a new day right? Pick yourself up and get back on track. One day will not undo all the work you put in unless you do not get back on track. Learn the lesson and move on.

It's what you do now that matters not yesterday. You can do this!

Good luck!

red
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Apr-11-04, 21:57
Registered Member

Plan: atkins (ish)
Stats: 169/139.9/129.9 Female 5'4
BF:?/suddenly lots/21
Progress: 74%
Default I sure like this forum

you know I have newsgroups going to my email and I dont even bother with them any more. If somebody posted on there saying they had a bad day...instead of getting encouragement etc. they would be insulted.

How refreshing to see all of the support here. ive been stalled for about 3 or so weeks (of course pigging out on low carb junk food isnt helping that effort im sure) and after reading many of the posts...dont feel so bad about it

keep up the great attitudes all!!
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Apr-11-04, 22:00
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 230/205/180 Male 73 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%
Lightbulb Planned cheats

Heresy. Folks, there is nothing wrong with an occasional "planned cheat", for a special holiday, birthday, etc. If it's planned then there's a whole lot less guilt. If it's a planned event and you don't want to cheat, bring your own food or beg off. All or nothing thinking is detrimental to your mental health.