Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Apr-10-04, 18:19

Plan: Paleo-Neander
Stats: 178/173/125 Female 5.6 in.
BF:
Progress: 9%
Default Stevia or Aspartame

I am new at this diet, and instead of taking "Aspartame" I take "Stevia", it says that is the juice of a south american plant. Away from the fact that it has like 1 gm of Carbs for a Tsp. I wonder if the taste of "sugar" has other impact in my body to trigger my body to store "Fat" All I found is this site about the comparison of both.

But I bet people here have some news on this.

http://www.vegsource.com/davis/sweeteners.htm
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Apr-10-04, 21:16

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cucu
Away from the fact that it has like 1 gm of Carbs for a Tsp.

I assume you mean a teaspoon of the fillered stuff. Most of the fillered Stevias have half a carb per teaspoon. A packet is the equivelant of 2 teaspoons. For example, the Stevia+Fiber brand which is fillered with FOS (Chicory Fiber) has 475mg of Carbs per serving. But, a serving is for some odd reason only half a packet. A packet has 950mg of Carbs, all of that FOS (Chicory Fiber.) There's other brands out there fillered with all kinds of things. You have Maltodextrin like Splenda, FOS which is Chicory Fiber, Erythritol which is a Nonglycemic, super low-calorie (0.2 kcal/g) sugar alcohol, and many others. The pure extract [stevia rebaudiana is the only ingredient] only weighs 1g per teaspoon if I remember correctly, and I would assume its not 100% Carbs. Plus, 1 tsp of the Pure Powdered Extract is the Equivelant of 1 cup of Sugar.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Apr-10-04, 22:46

BF:

Wow, I donīt know much at all about Stevia, but the package I bought said 1 gm of Carb. So now I got a little confuse, is it ok to eat Stevia in pouder with or without fiber?
Or should I just simply try to avoid it?.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Apr-11-04, 08:38

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 246/198/150 Female 62inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

The carb in stevia comes from the filler. I have heard that if you use too much in a meal it gives an aftertaste.
I didn't find a mention of stevia in DANDR but I have heard lots of people here using it. It is a natural plant extract-FDA has not approved it for a sweetner but only as a herbel supplement.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Apr-11-04, 08:55
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

The packets of stevia I have use inulin (fiber) as a filler, I suppose you would deduct the fiber anyway. I also thought the liquid stevia extract has no carbs.

If you use too much stevia it tastes like licorice but its supposedly very healthy. I cant get used to the taste though, but its probably better than splenda.

Now that I am thinking about fillers, why cant they use inulin with splenda instead of maltodextrin to bulk it?
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Apr-11-04, 12:35

Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cucu
Wow, I donīt know much at all about Stevia, but the package I bought said 1 gm of Carb. So now I got a little confuse, is it ok to eat Stevia in pouder with or without fiber?
Or should I just simply try to avoid it?.

If the filler is FOS (Inulin) or Erythitol, I'd count it as 0 Carbs. If the filler is Maltodextrin or Dextrose, treat it like Splenda. I.E. each packet = 1 Carb.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Apr-11-04, 14:16

BF:

Oh... thank you!!,
Poeple are very patient with me... thanks.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Apr-12-04, 18:24
Lurking LowCarber

Stats: 203/182/150 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 40%

Check out this link for more on stevia and aspartame. I don't use aspartame, but I never did care much for it. I do, however, use sucralose and saccharin, both of which are listed as "bad" sweeteners. When it comes right down to it, it's all a matter of personal preference.

HTH!!