Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Apr-06-04, 15:48

Plan: Protein Power/Paleo
Stats: 188.5/169.5/145 Female 5 ft. 9 in.
BF:way/too/much!
Progress: 44%
Default Am I eating from boredom???

Lately I have had a few cheating weekends and I've been trying to get back to induction. I do fine for a few days, but then I start wanting to eat more. Carbs, usually. Even if it's an LC carb, I want lots more of them! I had these feelings even when I was being very legal.

I'm starting to wonder if this is my body's way of fighting the weight loss. If I eat enough carbs, I won't gain and I won't lose. Hence the slow weight loss. Or am I really bored with the diet and the lack of bread????

I need help! Today, all I want to do is eat, eat, eat. Making chocolate chip cookies for my ds's special day isn't helping either! What do I do on these days to stay away from the carbs and see if I end up losing???

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Apr-06-04, 15:54

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 239/168.2/150 Female 5'7
BF:whoa boy
Progress: 80%

I've found L-Glutamine helps me fight my carb cravings. Try that supplement.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Apr-06-04, 16:36
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Get some low-carb bread!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Apr-06-04, 16:49
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

I find that removing myself from the temptation can help. If I can't do that (like at work), I remind myself of something nummy I can legally haev later and distract myself.

If I find I am haivng problems with cravings, then I will do KISS for a bit. That's a very clean induction with no dairy or added things. It really helps to break the cravings and lets me work around carbs without even wanting them.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Apr-06-04, 16:51
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%

LadyBelle made a good point. I found distracting myself helps me with the bordom munchies. More importantly have a list of things you like to do so you can pick one when the bordom hits. I found a gameboy or a book is great.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Apr-06-04, 19:26

Stats: 155/148/135 Female 5'5
BF:?/26%/21%
Progress: 35%

I've been having the same problem. I'm trying to make sure not to eat too many carbs and eat as few processed meats as possible (though being a college student and having to combat the cafeteria food doesn't always let me)... I've been trying to quell my munchies by drinking water or chewing gum. I'm hoping they'll go away soon!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Apr-07-04, 06:07

Thanks for the suggestions...I have lc bread and bagels, but I guess I don't think about eating them when I have the munchies!

I guess I should clarify, I'm not really bored---I have plenty to do to keep myself occupied! I'm just wondering if this constant desire to eat is my body saying, "whoa! You're going to lose weight if you don't eat! EAT!"

I managed to hang in there until dinner w/ just a couple of red pepper strips, (which made me feel much better!) and I do feel thinner today, but I've put the scale away, so I"m not sure.

I'll have to look into the l-glutamine..
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Apr-07-04, 06:48
Registered Member

Stats: 270/185/145 Female 5' 7.5"
BF:
Progress: 68%

I started going to a diet service when I hit a stall (they helped me go down 20lb). They recommended L-Glutamine and it really is good. Here are just two of the benefits from the web site for that diet service:

Is the single most important nutrient needed for a healthy digestive tract.
Balances blood sugar, a key component in the weight loss process.

Now I am back to Atkins and I sometime struggle with the same want for carbs. (I need to get more L-Glutamine). What I find works for me often is to view indulgances like Low Carb products as a reward for being good the rest of the way. If I wait until the end of the day I am less likely to eat multiple Atkins bars or Carbo-lite candies--I don't want to mess up what had been a good day.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Apr-07-04, 06:54

Stats: 192/155/145 Female 5'6"
BF:31/26/20
Progress: 79%

When I feel that I want to cheat, I try to remember the goal that I am working towards and how worth it I really feel the cheat is.
Some people also get set off by eating "high carb" foods, which causes cravings which derails their success.
That doesn't happen to me Luckily, but if I am going to cheat (and I have two times since January) I make it worth it...both times were on special out nights at fancy restaurants and I had Creme Brulee.

Read your body and know what you can and can't have, also, weight out how worth it, it is to you!
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Apr-07-04, 11:03

You know, it's not always real cheating either. Just going way overboard on the legal carbs, and that's enough to keep me from losing more than a pound or 2 a month!

This week I'm being diligent about using Fitday and I discovered that it's okay for me to eat a LC tortilla w/ refried beans and cheese! Since dinner is really low carb, I can afford 5 at lunch. And that's good because I've really missed my burritoes!!!
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Apr-07-04, 11:11

Plan: Atkins 72 Version
Stats: 175.5/123.5/115 Female 5'3 I grew an Inch!
BF:??/21%/19-20%
Progress: 86%

I go through days like that!!! I could eat a whole loaf of LC bread! I love the stuff! And the LC bagals.... OMG!! Even better.
I just fight it on the days I want to much like mad
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Apr-07-04, 11:30

Plan: My own
Stats: 185/179/140 Female 69 inches
BF:no idea
Progress: 13%

There are definitely days when all I want to do is eat! Boredom is my downfall when it comes to food. I usually start a project though and it keeps my mind off things
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Apr-07-04, 12:38

Plan: My Way!
Stats: 293/273/250 Female 5'8
BF:too darn much!
Progress: 47%

I just drink water and use my imagination!