Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Apr-06-04, 09:19

Plan: Animal-based/IF
Stats: 252/215.6/130 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 30%
Default Not-so-sore Muscles

Let me share this story with you and perhaps you can give me some feedback.

My son was unemployed for about 4 years (he's 24). He was lethargic and only wanted to stay home and play computer games and watch TV. Then last year I started low-carbing. 4 months ago when my son saw the progress I made, he decided to low-carb with me. He's since lost at least 25 pounds, but most importantly, he's lost his lethargy. About 1 month ago he actively started looking for work (all variables being the same except for the diet, as in no extra pressure from me, no increase in nagging, etc.). Friday, of last week, he walked into a place looking for unskilled labour. He was hired on the spot and worked all day Friday. He worked all day Monday as well lifting heavy items, bending, standing, etc. This morning as we drove to the public transit train station heading for work he makes the following comment,

"Mom thank you for suggesting this diet to me. I've worked so hard the past few days doing things that I haven't done before and yet none of my muscles are sore. I attribute this to the diet I am on."

I felt so good hearing this and also hearing that he feels so good about himself.

Any comments on this?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Apr-06-04, 11:44
Registered Member

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 145/140/? Female 5'6
BF:
Progress:

I can fully relate to this! I believe that staying on the paleo diet makes me get out and socialize and have more motivation to do everyday things like cleaning, gardening, shovelling snow etc. I find it easy to stay home and do nothing when I'm sedated by all the bread and milk products of the SAD. When I am not always medicating myself with food I actually DO things to keep myself entertained and stimulated.

Also, about the sore muscles, I find myself being in much better shape than a lot of my friends even though I don't really do a whole lot of exercise besides walking. I really notice it the most when I go snowboarding or hiking. I just don't seem to tire out. I won't even notice my legs burning at all while my male friends are becoming exhausted. They think I have crazy strength or something, but to me, it's just that I don't feel tired! It feels as though my workout hasn't been nearly as intense as it normally is. Before, I used to feel my legs burning and shaking. I can't remember the last time I felt my legs burning....

And the recovery time after exercise is much better too. My friends are always complaining about their sore muscles the next day whereas I strangely won't feel a thing! I also attribute this to the paleo diet!

Hellistile, I'm so glad that your son is feeling better and moving on with his life. It's very nice to share stories like this to keep everyone motivated.

#3   ^
Old Tue, Apr-06-04, 14:06

Plan: Neanderthin/Protein Power
Stats: 160/155/138 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 23%

Now that you mention it, when I started doing
Tae Kwon Do again a couple of months ago
(after a multi-year hiatus), I didn't go through
the crippling soreness that I used to go through after a lay off.
Plus, my endurance was loads better than it had any right to be.

I remember when I was on Weight Watchers,
I tried to work out after my 10 hour work day,
I was so tired I just kept hurting myself.
That is why I went on hiatus.

Perhaps our bodies are better able to get rid of the fatigue toxins now.
Not already taxed to the limit with all the junk food.

As for attitude... My husband and I built a house in the last year.
I really don't think we would have been able to do it,
mentally or physically, if we hadn't started doing a low carb diet.
We managed to get it built with no major injuries,
and we are still happily married.

This diet is just GOOD for you, mentally, physically and spiritually.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Apr-07-04, 08:14

Plan: Neanderthin/Paleo
Stats: 147/123.2/121 Female 5.4
BF:
Progress: 92%

Hellistile, I enjoyed reading your post and am glad that your son is feeling so motivated! I do attribute it to the Paleo diet, of course I do, having felt like that myself.

A few months ago, after having fallen off the Paleo wagon around Xmas (and early January), I got another job doing simultaneous translating for foreign visitors to a company here.
This added to my regular teaching job in the evenings. I started at 8 a.m and finished at 6 p.m. Then I'd rush home to inject myself full of fertility medication and then dash off to my evening classes which finished at 10pm. All in all I was getting around 5 hours of sleep every night. And I was on the go for around 16 hours a day.
The first 2 weeks were torture, until I went Paleo again. I began to feel better, and the last few times I've had to do both jobs have been a breeze. I can get through an exhausting day in the boardroom, then teaching, and still have energy to do things at home, while my husband, who is younger than me and doesn't do low carb, is tired out from a 9 hour day. LOL.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Apr-07-04, 15:50

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 322/240/140 Female 5'6''
BF:I have no idea
Progress: 45%

HI Hellistile,

Eating paleo has also helped my muscles feel better and not be sore. Before, when I would exercise, the next day I would hardly be able to move.

Now when I get out and exercise, I don't have that problem. My muscles feel great.

What I was hoping it would help more is my severe arthritis. I used a cane for quite a while, and now no longer use that regularly, but am still having severe pain in my joints. But, I don't use a cane

I am so grateful for this woe. Marty
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Apr-08-04, 07:56

Plan: Animal-based/IF
Stats: 252/215.6/130 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 30%

Marty: Regarding the arthritis, if you started this way of eating in March 2004 and have already lost 2 things: what looks like 50 pounds and "that darn cane", consider how much better things will get if you continue what you are doing. In my case, the arthritic pains have almost entirely disappeared. I thought I'd have to move into an apartment with an elevator or go in for knee surgery before low-carbing. Now I'm practically running up the stairs to my apartment. Hang in there, don't give up and hopefully those joints will be almost good as new in no time.