Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Apr-06-04, 07:34
90 Days at a Time

Plan: Glycemic Load
Stats: 426/405.2/326 Male 74 in.
BF:
Progress: 21%
Default Thank Goodness! I gained 27 pounds!

Does that suck, or what?

Well, good news/bad news. I have no idea what the good news will be but I got hit between the eyes with the bad news. Good news better follow.

How did this happen? Hmmm....read back about a zillion pages and you see where I lost my SILTEC scale. Accurate. Simple. I bought a new one that supposedly weighed up to 440 pounds. Digital, I might add. Been weighing on it faithfully every single week and staying plus or minus 2 pounds of where I was. Today I got on the doctor scales. Holy Moly, Batman! Up 27 pounds. They have 2 scales. I weighted the same on both.

It is a damned good thing old fashioned cussing is frowned upon in here. As you might imagine, I have cussed almost enough. (I said almost!)

Anyway....after 7 weeks of 12 hour days and 6 day weeks and eating that was not as good as it might have been (obviously)...I guess this is a good thing. I got my wake up call while there is still time to wake up. (Zzzzzz...damned time change anyway!)

OK. I ordered my Crossbow thingie...I am back on my walk tapes (and here at work I walk around the miles of hallways). And I am back on a decent LC food program.

I am still working my long hours and 6 day weeks but I have been given my wake up call. Unfortunately that call sounded like a wild boar during castration. Woof!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Apr-06-04, 07:36
PuertoRican Princess

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 299/236/135 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 38%

AH MisterE don't worry your gonna hit goal no matter what.

Those darn scales are evil.

You hang in there and all will go well for ya.

Keep it up, your on your way to a healthier you.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Apr-06-04, 08:38

Stats: -/140/135 Female 5'10"
BF:All Fat?
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterE
I have been given my wake up call. Unfortunately that call sounded like a wild boar during castration. Woof!

That is quite a stunning mental image, Mr. E. Sometimes that's the kind of wake up call it takes to get one's attention. You've come a long way and I'm glad that you put the brakes on the badness before the Park Avenue went entirely over the cliff. Good luck to you Mr. E! You can do it!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Apr-06-04, 08:52

Plan: my own
Stats: 253/176.0/153 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 77%

Gm MisterE! Yeah, that does suck, but sometimes a little wake-up call is just what we need to set us back on track again! You know you can do it and we're all here rooting for you and trying to get that wild boar image out of our heads...LOL! OUCH!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Apr-06-04, 09:05

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 246/198/150 Female 62inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

You didnt gain 27lb the scale did. You are healthier happier and as determined as ever. Visualize your former self of a year ago being sparked because your Crossbow is about to arrive.
Good to re commit yourself to a closer watch on lowcarb menus thought=we all need to pay attention where it matters.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Apr-06-04, 09:10

Stats: 273.5/236.0/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 33%

Quote:
How did this happen? Hmmm....read back about a zillion pages and you see where I lost my SILTEC scale. Accurate. Simple. I bought a new one that supposedly weighed up to 440 pounds. Digital, I might add. Been weighing on it faithfully every single week and staying plus or minus 2 pounds of where I was. Today I got on the doctor scales. Holy Moly, Batman! Up 27 pounds. They have 2 scales. I weighted the same on both.

Hi - Interesting post - I had two responses - very different when I read it. the first one is a result of my having lost over 100 pounds once and then putting it back on (the only proud thing I can say is I did not put it ALL back on - I stopped just 10 pounds of that ) So my thought was - good for you - at least you are not going to fall all the way back down the hill.

Then, my second thought was to ask if when you were using your SILTEC scale you had weighed at the doctor's and knew that it was the same as your scale at home? 27 pounds would have some impact in your clothes and if you weren't feeling everything being really tighter, then maybe it wasn't really 27 pounds... just a thought and it won't change your current plan of action, but maybe it means you didn't do as bad as you thought. It sounds like your eating was not that horrible and at the very least you should have been able to maintain your weight, but then I could be completely wrong about that.

Finally, the good news in this COULD be that you have learned some important things about how your body reacts to eating, exercise or lack thereof that can only help you achieve your ulitmate goal.

Good luck!
PecanPie

PS - I enjoy your posts
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Apr-06-04, 09:39

Plan: Curves
Stats: 315/286/150 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 18%

What a blow! Stupid scale! It's great to see you are handling this with so much strength! You are awesome and I'm always inspired by your posts!
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Apr-06-04, 10:22
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

I'm glad you figured it out before you gained more. You're still well below your starting weight, so that is good. Is your doctor's scale one of the balance beam types? If so, it is probably a lot more accurate than a digital scale sold for home use.

I've heard that scales are less accurate when you get up close to the weight limit. I check my weight every couple of weeks on the balance beam scale at my local YMCA to make sure my digital bathroom scale (which I paid $17 for and which only weights up to 300 pounds) is still calibrating accurately.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Apr-06-04, 11:04
90 Days at a Time

Plan: Glycemic Load
Stats: 426/405.2/326 Male 74 in.
BF:

Thanks for the kind words, All.
The Siltec scale was within 12 oz of the same doctors scale. AND for a person at my size there is not as much difference in clothes as you might imagine. Granted I am certain that my clothes are tighter now than 27 pounds ago...but when that change happens over time it is not as noticable. I still wear the same pants I did 27 pounds ago. And the ones I wore at 476 still fall off my bountious bootie still.

Anyway, I ordered a new Siltec. I like it. It likes me. Now to get back on the band wagon and play my floogle horn in G major. You know the song: They're Coming to Take Me Away. If you don't know it? Look it up on the web. You will be happily surprised. Makes my Bilbo song (at the bottom of my posts) sound like Opera.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Apr-06-04, 11:07
~Return to Reality~

Plan: LCHF also RNY Bypass
Stats: 288.8/183.6/159 Female 5'7"
BF:I/don't/know
Progress: 81%

Hey MisterE -- that sure is disappointing news. But tough guy that you are, you'll bare those teeth and get right into the stuff you have to do -- just like you said. Giving you a hug and a smooch to keep you on the straight and narrow.....
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Apr-06-04, 11:26

Plan: PSMF
Stats: 328/255.0/150 Female 5' 6"
BF:52%/43%/20%
Progress: 41%

Hi Mister E,

Sorry to hear about that awful surprise! The wild boar part, hilarious! I can still hear him squealing all the way in California!

It is a good thing to get a wake up call. I'm tired just reading your schedule! Hope you can find some time for your self. I know you'll be back on track now!
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Apr-06-04, 11:27

Stats: 235/153/135 Female 5'0
BF:
Progress: 82%

Scales!

Just think of it as one step back... now on to twenty steps forward.

Keep it up - you're doing great!!
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Apr-06-04, 12:10
Bouncy!

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 297/173.3/150 Female 5'7" (top weight 340)
BF:41%/31%/??%
Progress: 84%

Don't you just hate surprises like that!

I guess the good news is that you had a doctor's appointment now, not 6 months from now.

You are back on the straight and narrow, I'm sure the 27lbs will fall off quickly!

Valerie
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Apr-06-04, 17:01

Stats: 255/187/150 Female 5'0
BF:
Progress: 65%

I'm really sorry to hear about this frustration after the brilliant work you've done in the past (that challenge last winter)! But hang in here with us...let's go forward (er, downward?) together.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Apr-06-04, 18:51

Stats: ***/***/*** Female ***
BF:

Sorry MisterE about the disturbing news. Glad though, that you are handling it well. I'm sure with your determination that you will be bidding au revoire to those pounds again soon! Keep up the good work, and don't fret the setback! You're getting there!