Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Apr-02-04, 11:47

Plan: atkins
Stats: 185/170/170 Male 5'9" and some change
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default The Community Farmers Market: Open To Everyone!!

This thread is intended to provide information on where this weeks deals on food can be found. It can be Food Lion, Costco, Sam Club, Walmart, BJ's Warehouse, Harris Teeter, Kroger, and so on and so on. If they are having a sale on meat, let us all know. If you come across a clearance sale on items that other low carbers may not know about, lets us know. If a store is going out of business and you see they are selling handy things like small appliances, kitchen gadgets, vitamins, supplements, or whatever else you think would come in handy, share it with us. For instance, CVS is selling Atkins Morning Start Bars for 4.99 a box (give or take a penny). Far as I know, these are the CVS's located in the Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill, NC area. They may also be that price elsewhere. List the COST CUTTER prices you find and the city and state as well. Other members will find this a handy way to set up their shopping list and save some money along the way. With the ever rising cost of gas these days, we all need to look out for each other when it comes to saving money. Lots of us, we go to the grocery store to grab something and never take the time to check the sales paper. We later discover we missed out on a sale on something we could have used. Many times, clearance items aren't listed in the store sales paper and it takes a sharp eye to catch these usually small tags. The more eyes the better. So I will name this after my buddy POTATOFREE because she inspired us to do the community yard sale last fall. This thread will be called the "POTATOFREE COMMUNITY FARMERS MARKET AND THRIFT STORE". So come one and come all.......even if the guy down the street from your house is selling his backyard veggies for a good price...tell us.....you never know....someone here may not live that far away. Thanks to all that choose to share their "lucky finds" with us. Good luck and good shopping!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Apr-02-04, 12:13

Plan: IF & Paleo
Stats: 270/254/150 Female 68 inches
BF:--- too much!
Progress: 13%

Cool idea! If you do not get your local stores' ads in the paper, most stores now post them online. I look at Meijer, Kroger, Giant Eagle and Wild Oats online every week.

In general, I find really good prices on eggs, meats and cheeses at Sam's Club - even better than sales at my regular groceries. However, I prefer organic products, so I scour the Wild Oats ads and stock up when they have a really good sale.

I do the majority of my weekly shopping at Trader Joe's for Kemps heavy cream (the best that I've found - very thick!), Greek yogurt, sparkling water, Niman Ranch bacon, chicken sausages, frozen chicken, frozen fish, bagged salad greens, and nuts; the quailty is incredible and the prices are much cheaper than Wild Oats.

If grocery money is a concern, and I believe it is for most of us, try making a price book (as termed by Amy Dacyczyn in the Tightwad Gazette) where you make a master list of whatever you buy and check each store to see where it is available cheapest. This also helps to determine if a sale is really a sale, and if a coupon is worth using.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Apr-02-04, 16:20

Plan: Paleo/Primal
Stats: 270/210/150 Female 65 inches
BF:50?/VERY/22
Progress: 50%

This is a great idea! I do buy most of my meat and cheese and nuts at costco, as it is always cheaper, no matter what the sale at the grocery, but I also shop at trader joes b/c they have fantastic foods that re not available at costco, and they are very affordable as well. Some things to keep an eye out for at trader joe's are their own artisan mayo for $1.99 (0 carbs, nothing fancy, just simple good mayo) and the low carb ceral also $1.99 (not trader joe's brand, but there are only a couple, just check the cereal aisle) and they are the only place I have found unsalted macadamia nuts! (raw and roasted)
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Apr-02-04, 16:51

Plan: atkins
Stats: 185/170/170 Male 5'9" and some change
BF:
Progress: 100%

Being a guy, I had to admit that I fail at shopping. I was hoping I could just click on this thread and sort of plan my shopping list. It was an idea that popped into my head and I hoped others would like it. There are others like myself that need to be pointed in the right direction. Thanks ladies!!