Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Mar-31-04, 20:25

Plan: low cal, low carb
Stats: 196/145/140 Female 5'6.5
BF:23%
Progress: 91%
Default Peta

From Tony Colpo's e-letter:

An update on the People for Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA)

U.S. readers might be interested in the following info I received this morning from the Center for Consumer Freedom about the People for Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA). For those who are unaware, PETA's activities extend beyond "animal rights" campaigning to include rabid lobbying against the consumption of anythin but vegan diets and giving financial aid to green terrorist groups:

"On April 1, "Penn & Teller: Bulls--t" will begin its second season with a devastating and hilarious 30-minute expose of the animal-rights movement, focusing on People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA). The Center for Consumer Freedom is featured prominently in this groundbreaking show, which is part of a cable television series that "debunks popular shams and scams."

Get ready to see the real PETA, warts and all. It's a show you'll want to tape and share with your friends and neighbors who think animal-rights activism is a warm and fuzzy hobby. This might be the only kind of publicity PETA's self-styled "press sluts" would prefer to avoid, and the group's radical zealots may wish this were just an April Fool's joke. But it's not.

The Showtime cable network will air "Penn & Teller: Bulls--t" at 10pm (all time zones) on April 1. If you miss the first airing, it will be repeated on April 8 at 10:30 pm."

The Center forConsumer Freedom is also petitioning to have PETA's tax-exempt status revoked. To sign the petition, which now has nearly 29,000 signatures, visit:

http://www.consumerfreedom.com/petaPetition.cfm
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Mar-31-04, 21:40
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Wow! I love Penn and Teller!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Mar-31-04, 23:39
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Yeah, me too! I had no idea they moved into the field of investigative journalism. I wish I had cable; I'd tape that show.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Apr-01-04, 02:48
Registered Member

Plan: ckd 24 hr carb up
Stats: 240/234/? Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Bummer I don't get showtime!!!! I lived for 5 years in the meca of Peta (norfolk VA). I won't even get started on my rant about them.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Apr-01-04, 06:35
Registered Member

Plan: HFH
Stats: 297/291/200 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 6%

I passed the petition along to the other LC board I'm a regular on.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Apr-01-04, 07:02
SanePsychoSuprGodess

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 205/191/115 Female 5' 1"
BF:46%/41%/20%
Progress: 16%

AMEN!!! Penn & Teller are right on!
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Apr-01-04, 10:12
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

Teller is also an editor for the magazine Skeptic. Really interesting stuff.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Apr-01-04, 18:01
Registered Member

Stats: 280/203/200 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 96%

Here's a review from Slate. Caution - I left all the dirty words intact. - gotbeer

Masters of Disillusionment

Penn & Teller's show explains why everything you know is wrong.

By Dennis Cass

Posted Thursday, April 1, 2004, at 3:28 PM PT

http://slate.msn.com/id/2098134/

Penn & Teller: Bullshit! (Showtime, Thursdays, 10 p.m. ET) is out to prove that skepticism doesn't have to be a dour, tweedy affair. The buttoned-down Skeptic Society, for example, wages a valiant fight against pseudoscience, mass delusion, and general human folly, but its Web site features nary a peep from aging rocker and sportsman Ted Nugent, nor does it contain salty phrases like "state-funded knucklehead" or "my achin' ass!" Professional skepticism says "please" and "thank you" and tucks in its shirt. It does not dress head to toe in leather or throw around words like "motherfucker."

Now entering its second season, Penn & Teller: Bullshit! avoids the niceties. Last year, the show took on topics as varied as creationism, bottled water, secondhand smoke, and alien abductions, in each case setting out to set things straight. The approach alternates between straightforward TV journalism and vulgar showmanship. In tonight's season premiere, Penn and Teller use expert sources and detailed evidence to discredit the People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, but they also dress like leather daddies, make a big show of feasting on chicken and ribs, indulge in more than a little name-calling, and bring in the Nuge to deliver lines such as "Meat. Is. Food. Case closed." In their live act, Penn and Teller have long practiced a kind of meta-magic that pulls back the curtain on the magician's craft while simultaneously exploiting all its tricks. Penn & Teller: Bullshit! carries on the same tradition—you won't find two illusionists more dedicated to exposing the truth.

One of the unwritten rules for winning an argument against an inflammatory, irrational opponent is to calmly adhere to a loftier set of rhetorical standards. Penn and Teller showily throw this notion out the window. On tonight's episode, they compare PETA co-founder and president, Ingrid Newkirk, to Adolf Hitler, cutting from shots of Newkirk at an animal rights conference to stock footage of Hitler's youth. "Cheap shot?" says Penn in the narration. "Well, you bet it is. It's beneath us, but we're not the first to use the Nazi analogy." The show then takes PETA to task for its 2003 "Holocaust on Your Plate" action campaign, which juxtaposed images from concentration camps with images of industrial meat processing. I'm not sure which makes me more uncomfortable, PETA's manipulation of a genocide or Penn and Teller's breezy character assassination, but the moment made me pine for a less sensational approach. I'm more accustomed to professional doubting Thomases like Skeptic Society director Michael Shermer, whose wonderful book Why People Believe Weird Things manages to debunk all kinds of bad thinking—including that of Holocaust deniers—without resorting to calling anyone a Nazi.

But as P&T: B! wore on, I began to appreciate the show's street-fighting style. Measured rationality is a powerful tool, but sometimes a well-placed "you've got to be fucking kidding me!" works even better. When Newkirk compares animals in the Western world to slaves, Penn can barely contain his incredulity. After noting that there are still millions of human slaves in the world today and invoking the legacy of slavery in our country, he says, "Do you really want to equate that worldwide shame ... to chickens?"

If Penn & Teller: Bullshit! were all bluster, it wouldn't be as effective or as entertaining. Thankfully, the show is surprisingly good at balancing its histrionics with facts. Using PETA's public tax records, tonight's show links the organization to Rodney Coronado, who admitted to firebombing a Michigan State University lab that used animals in its research. Penn and Teller also do a nice number on a PETA vice president whose treatments for Type II diabetes were developed using research on dogs.

Even at their most convincing, though, Penn and Teller are careful not to belabor their points. And herein lies the show's charm. By refusing to take their opponents—or themselves—too seriously, the duo celebrates idiocy as much as it tries to set idiots straight. Shermer's book, after all, is fundamentally inquisitive and corrective. He wishes people didn't believe weird things. But Penn and Teller make themselves quite clear: They wouldn't have it any other way.

Dennis Cass writes about television for Slate.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Apr-01-04, 18:54
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Rats, I don't get Showtime. /cry
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Apr-02-04, 10:15

Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

It was quite good! Those who are pining, take heart...each season will be available on DVD.

http://www.sho.com/site/ptbs/home.do

I love these guys!