Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Apr-01-04, 13:22

Plan: Vegetarian - my own
Stats: 155/145/135 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 50%
Unhappy Abnormal period and a bit scared!

Hey, Ok so I"m 26 years old, not on birth control, and have been having regular periods for 4 or 5 years. I've been on this WOL since December of 2003. Just this week my period has been very irregular. NORMALLY I will have one day of spotting, then a day of nothing, and then 2 days of heavy, followed by 3 or 4 days of lite. However for the last 5 or 6 days I've been having just a really REALLY lite period, but every single day and it also started a little bit early. I did just recently lose 5 pounds pretty rapidly, besides that I've lost my weight pretty slowly. Has anybody else had this problem? Or does anybody else have any idea what might be going on? Thanks for your help!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Apr-01-04, 13:31

Plan: General LC/Protein Power
Stats: 158.8/142/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 58%

I have noticed that my periods have changed and become a bit more irregular since begining this wol, especially since I have increased my exercize routines. I would not worry too much unless there may be other cause for worry (ie. pregnancy). I am not on any form of bc either (don't like the hormones), and my periods have become lighter, and a bit more irregular. As your insulin (the master hormone) regulates, it will result in other hormonal regulation that can take some time, and result in some shifting of what we were accustomed to .
If you continue to be concerned, perhaps consult a healthcare professional. Good Luck!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Apr-01-04, 16:08
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Overweight women tend to have higher estrogen levels because it is stored in fat. As you lose fat it makes it's merry way into your system and has a happy day until it is gone. The end result is less overall estrogen, but more circulating for a while.

I had abnormalities while I wa slosing weight. Once I got down and started leveling off, my period turned back to normal.

If you do a search of this and the Atkins bored you will find tons of threads about periods. Some women get heavier, some get lighter, other's skip periods. Also levels of PMS and cramping can change.

If it continues, then see a doctor to make sure there isn't soemthing else besides diet at the root.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Apr-02-04, 10:08

Plan: Atkins 72 Version
Stats: 175.5/123.5/115 Female 5'3 I grew an Inch!
BF:??/21%/19-20%
Progress: 86%

It has to do with the hormones and estrogen in our bodies. It is totally normal to have messed up TOMS
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Apr-02-04, 11:37
Memere to 4

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 227/199/150 Female 5ft 3in
BF:Too much
Progress: 36%

I have only had tom once so far since I started this woe. Mine was unbelievably heavy. So much so that I went to my Dr. I was scared. I have always been a full week of heavy ...but this was really skeery. He wanted to give me a anti-inflammatory..which I declined..so he then told me to go home put my feet up and lay down till it was all over. I'm a mom and wife...ya right! I did however get very weak and dizzy spells. I have an appt with an OB-GYN On the 27th. Maybe she can help .
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Apr-02-04, 11:57

BF:

OK, well reading your posts makes me feel sooooo much better! I made an appointment with my gyno, but I have to wait almost a month! So it's nice to have some encouraging words. Thank you so much!
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Apr-02-04, 12:21
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi. I agree with the other posters... but I noticed that you're doing LC vegetarian. Did you suddenly start eating more soy? I would be concerned about that. I think soy has a serious hormonal affect on us ladies. That doesn't mean you should never eat it, but it's easy for a veggie LCer to rely on it too much. I would try to get more protein from nuts, dairy, eggs, and soy-free protien powders.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Apr-04-04, 01:01

Plan: Atkins, low cal
Stats: 150/116/117 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 103%

So true... a little soy, and my body shuts down (i'm hypothyroid). watch out for that stuff, it can have an effect on you even if you don't have an underactive thyroid.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Apr-08-04, 12:46

BF:

Ok,
I've cut down my soy intake quite a bit. My regularly scheduled period has arrived. Thank you all so much for your replies. Ya know, it's kind of nice having this monthly indicator for normal functioning. I mean I have been a stress case, but if I had been a guy I would never have known and wouldn't have made an appointment with the doc, or cut down on soy. This annoying period business is actually pretty good for us. Thanks again for all your help!