Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Mar-31-04, 15:15
On my way to 200's

Plan: high protein low carb
Stats: 372.6/358/250 Female 5'5
BF:I've got that!
Progress: 12%
Talking Reaffirmation that this WOE is the best!

I restarted this WOE on 1/4/04, but before I started I had bloodwork done to check that I am ok. My dr was ready to put me on Lipitor after he saw my results. My total cholesterol was 250 not good at all 200 and below is the best. I told my doc, "I don't want to take Liptor" so he said OK, you will have to prove to me that you can lower it and see me in 3 months.

Well I got back my results today......Drumroll please...

My cholesterol is now 192
HDL 47 this is the good one
LDL 127 this is the bad one
Triglycerides 89

This is the lowest I've ever gotten in in the past 5 years.

For those that don't understand what cholesterol levels mean, I've attached an excerpt from the American Heart Association:

What's the Difference Between LDL and HDL Cholesterol?

Why is LDL cholesterol considered "bad"?
When too much LDL cholesterol circulates in the blood, it can slowly build up in the inner walls of the arteries that feed the heart and brain. Together with other substances it can form plaque, a thick, hard deposit that can clog those arteries. This condition is known as atherosclerosis. If a clot forms and blocks a narrowed artery, it can cause a heart attack or stroke. The levels of HDL cholesterol and LDL cholesterol in the blood are measured to evaluate the risk of having a heart attack. LDL cholesterol of less than 100 mg/dL is the optimal level. Less than 130 mg/dL is near optimal for most people. A high LDL level (more than 160 mg/dL or 130 mg/dL or above if you have two or more risk factors for cardiovascular disease) reflects an increased risk of heart disease. That's why LDL cholesterol is often called "bad" cholesterol.
Why is HDL cholesterol considered "good"?
About one-third to one-fourth of blood cholesterol is carried by high-density lipoprotein (HDL). HDL cholesterol is known as the "good" cholesterol because a high level of it seems to protect against heart attack. (Low HDL cholesterol levels [less than 40 mg/dL] increase the risk for heart disease.) Medical experts think that HDL tends to carry cholesterol away from the arteries and back to the liver, where it's passed from the body. Some experts believe that HDL removes excess cholesterol from plaque in arteries, thus slowing the buildup.

What is Lp(a) cholesterol?
Lp(a) is a genetic variation of plasma LDL. A high level of Lp(a) is an important risk factor for developing fatty deposits in arteries prematurely. The way an increased Lp(a) contributes to disease isn’t understood. The lesions in artery walls contain substances that may interact with Lp(a), leading to the buildup of fatty deposits.

The triglyceride connection
Triglyceride is a form of fat. It comes from food and is also made in your body. People with high triglycerides often have a high total cholesterol, a high LDL cholesterol and a low HDL cholesterol level. Many people with heart disease also have high triglyceride levels. People with diabetes or who are obese are also likely to have high triglycerides. Triglyceride levels of less than 150 mg/dL are normal; levels from 150-199 are borderline high. Levels that are borderline high or high (200 mg/dL to 499 mg/dL) may need treatment in some people. Triglyceride levels of 500 mg/dL or above are very high. Doctors need to treat high triglycerides in people who also have high LDL cholesterol levels.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Mar-31-04, 16:42
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 359/297/155 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 30%

Wow, that is incredible! You must be so happy! This WOE is absolutely the best in my mind and it is proven time and again. Keep up the good work. By the way your doctor must have been very pleased!

Shannon
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Mar-31-04, 19:29
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

That's great! I had my cholesterol measured about nine months into low carbing and it had also gone down -- from a total of 214 to a total of 199. I don't remember the exact numbers, but LDL was down and HDL was up and triglycerides were bottomed out (52 I think). I've been thinking about calling the doctor and making an appointment to measure it again (it's been almost a year). Maybe your post will get me to do it!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Mar-31-04, 19:48

Plan: IF & Paleo
Stats: 270/254/150 Female 68 inches
BF:--- too much!
Progress: 13%

Congratulations! Those are some awesome results.

Is your doc supportive of you low-carbing?
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Mar-31-04, 21:44
On my way to 200's

Plan: high protein low carb
Stats: 372.6/358/250 Female 5'5
BF:I've got that!
Progress: 12%

You know my doc is very open to what I decided. My OBGYN is actually th first one who suggested it. Then I told my general practicioner that I plan on doing LC and he didnt frown upon it. He said as long as your bloodwork is fine and you feel good go with it.

I plan on going back again in another 3 months to make sure everything is AOK.

I'm smiling from ear to ear, I love this WOE!

Thank you all for your support.

Dewi
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Mar-31-04, 21:50

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 333/199.8/172 Female 5'8"
BF:??/39.0/25
Progress: 83%

Congratulations Dewi! That is marvelous news. And thank you for reminding me that I need to get mine checked again... I last had it checked in September, so should go again just to be sure!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Mar-31-04, 23:16

Stats: 235/153/135 Female 5'0
BF:
Progress: 82%

That's great news Dewi! You should be proud of yourself!
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Apr-01-04, 06:30
~Return to Reality~

Plan: LCHF also RNY Bypass
Stats: 288.8/183.6/159 Female 5'7"
BF:I/don't/know
Progress: 81%

Wonderful Dewi!! Great news!