Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Mar-31-04, 17:49

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%
Default Honey May Be a Healthy Sweet

Research suggests it boosts antioxidant levels

By Randy Dotinga
HealthDay Reporter

TUESDAY, March 30 (HealthDayNews) -- Here's some sweet news: New research provides more evidence that honey is healthy for you.

Nutritionists at the University of California, Davis, found antioxidant levels go up after people eat several tablespoons of honey a day.

"With honey consumption, we seem to be able to increase our body's defense system against oxidative stress," says Heidrun B. Gross, a university nutrition researcher. "This definitely makes [the case] for including honey in a healthy diet."

While its reputation as a decadent sweet may make it hardly seem like a health food, honey has long been rumored to have healing powers. Some people apply it to wounds, and it's a mainstay in the cups of hot tea people drink when we have colds and flu.

But scientists only recently began investigating whether it truly offers health benefits, Gross says, adding, "At this point, very little is scientifically proven."

With grants from the National Honey Board, Gross and other researchers in the United States have been analyzing honey's effects on antioxidants, which seem to protect the body from environmental harm, such as tobacco smoke and chemicals.

In the new study, Gross and colleagues told 25 people to eat between four and 10 tablespoons of buckwheat honey, depending on their weight, each day for a month. They could eat the honey in almost any form, although it couldn't be baked or dissolved in tea. Some put honey on toast or combined it with bananas and peanut butter, but many chose to simply spoon it out of the jar and straight into their mouths, Gross says.

The researchers presented their findings March 29 at the annual meeting of the American Chemical Society in Anaheim, Calif.

The scientists found levels of antioxidants rose in the people who ate honey. Experts believe antioxidants block certain types of cell damage caused by molecules called free radicals, which are caused by exposure to tobacco smoke and some chemicals. Foods rich in antioxidants help destroy free radicals, and scientists think they reduce the risk of diseases such as cancer, heart disease and stroke.

"Honey has its place in a balanced, healthy diet, and should be included in a healthy diet," Gross says.

Another honey expert, Nicki J. Engeseth, a University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign associate professor who has studied antioxidants and honey, agrees. The new study findings provide more evidence that honey is healthy even though 80 percent of it is sugar. "It's loaded with different compounds that appear to have strong biologic activity," she says, and honey may even have germ-killing properties.

So should you go to the supermarket and scarf up those little plastic bears full of honey? Researchers say it's still not clear if all honey is equal. The flavor and color of honey depends on which flowers are pollinated by the bees that produce it, and researchers don't know if some varieties are healthier to eat than others. In the case of this study, buckwheat honey comes from the buckwheat plant, is dark brown, and has a strong, distinct flavor.

Honey isn't right for everyone. Babies younger than 12 months should not eat honey because they may not be able to digest it properly, says Engeseth, who, like Gross, receives funding from the National Honey Board. Then there are the matters of the high content of sugar and carbohydrates in honey.

However, Gross says her subjects didn't gain weight during the month they were on honey therapy. "I asked people if the honey consumption affected their eating habits, and most people answered that they felt more full after eating the honey for breakfast. It seems to keep the stomach full for a little longer, and definitely quenched their urge for sweet stuff."

As for the risk of extra cavities, Engeseth says studies suggest that honey isn't a major factor in teeth decay, even though it's sticky and sweet.

"We don't recommend going out and substituting fruits and vegetables with honey," Engeseth says. "But if you're going to sweeten your tea with sugar or add it to baked goods, perhaps you could add honey instead."

http://www.healthday.com/view.cfm?id=518147
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Mar-31-04, 18:27

Plan: atkins
Stats: 185/180/165 Male 68 inches
BF:25
Progress: 25%

Bees wax and bee pollin have a good rap. I am not surprised that honey might have some upside. Dr. David Williams recently did an article on using honey as a wound dressing. Perhaps some wax and pollin get into the honey. Even Dr. Mercola (definitely down on sugar) talks about having the "odd foray into honey." Personally, I'd like to know more about sugar alcohols, like xylitol, that seem to offer even more advantages.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Mar-31-04, 18:56
Registered Member

Plan: ckd 24 hr carb up
Stats: 240/234/? Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Very interesting! I've always said honey was good for you. I personally love to add it to fruit smoothies for my kids. I mostly try to lc their diets, but I think that a little honey is a good thing. I know I used to take a spoonful of honey for a sore throat each day....always helped me.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Mar-31-04, 19:46
Lurking LowCarber

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 203/182/150 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 40%

I've also heard that eating local honey seems to work fairly well for building up resistance to allergens found locally. I love honey as a spread, but not as a sweetener, though.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Apr-01-04, 08:22

Plan: PP
Stats: 210/170/170
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hmm.

Could it be -- possibly -- that honey raises antioxidant levels precisely BECAUSE sugar creates a lot of free radicals itself? If I recall, sugar actually places a lot of oxidative stress on the body -- which would suggest the body needs to generate a bunch of antioxidants to counteract that stress.

It's the same thing I was wondering about with blueberries and similar fruits. They supposedly contain more antioxidants than almost any food. I always wondered WHY the blueberry produces so many antioxidants in the first place (nature doesn't usually do things without a good reason). Could it be that something in the blueberry generates a lot of free radicals??
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Apr-03-04, 17:39

Plan: Atkins, PP
Stats: 188.4/188.4/132 Female 160cm
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Walt
Hmm.

Could it be -- possibly -- that honey raises antioxidant levels precisely BECAUSE sugar creates a lot of free radicals itself? If I recall, sugar actually places a lot of oxidative stress on the body -- which would suggest the body needs to generate a bunch of antioxidants to counteract that stress.

It's the same thing I was wondering about with blueberries and similar fruits. They supposedly contain more antioxidants than almost any food. I always wondered WHY the blueberry produces so many antioxidants in the first place (nature doesn't usually do things without a good reason). Could it be that something in the blueberry generates a lot of free radicals??

Not sure about the berries, but otherwise that's exactly what I thought. Id antioxidants in the body go up, but honey doesn't contain any, then that gets me worried. On the other hand, it could be that honey stimulates the immune system and that would be a good thing. I would definitley say, that out of all the sugars/sweeteners honey is the most natural product and a bit of honey now and then is probably not a bad idea.

hmmm yoghurt with honey and nuts......
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Apr-05-04, 11:55
CyberZerker

Plan: Bulletproof
Stats: 320/268/240 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 65%

I've used Honey on wounds - from small paper cuts to larger gashes - for years. It does the trick for me .