Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Mar-31-04, 11:37

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 182/170/143 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 31%
Thumbs up Hardee's Low Carb Breakfast Bowls (a rave review)

Has anyone tried these/heard of them yet?
I saw a commercial for them yesterday. Well this morning I had to drop my kitty off at the vet, and I didn't have time to eat at home, so on my way back to school I decided to stop by and try one. Usually, I try to avoid fast food...save some money and all that...but I hate to skip breakfast! I must say, I was not disappointed.
They only have one type. It has eggs, two kinds of cheese (I think American and White American), bacon, a big sausage patty, and diced ham in there. It's basically a big, restaurant-size omelet in a bowl. And it was pretty cheap, it only cost $2.99.
When I got to school, I looked up the nutrition info. Here's how it stacks up:
620 calories, 6 g carbohydrates, 2 g fiber (wonder where the fiber came from??), 50 g fat. Calories and fat seem kinda high, but it's been 5 hours and I'm still pretty full, which means I won't eat as much at lunch. On Hardees.com, the main screen has all the links to nutrition info as well.
Just wanted to share
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Mar-31-04, 11:43
Just keep swimming

Plan: General Low Carb/IF
Stats: 226/186.6/160 Female 5' 8"
BF:34/29/24
Progress: 60%

Hey, Knoxville! I'm in Chattanooga! I had one of those last weekend and you're right, it was wonderful. I stumbled on it by accident - I hadn't even seen it advertised. I was picking up biscuits for the husband/kids and saw it on the menu and about flipped out! I was actually full until around 2:00 that afternoon. In fact, I couldn't even finish the whole thing!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Mar-31-04, 12:27
Diet Cokeaholic

Plan: Whole foods moderation
Stats: 221/215/150 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

It looks really good on the commercials, although I seldom get the chance to eat fast-food breakfasts. Like you, I have to wonder where in the heck the fiber came from. Weird.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Mar-31-04, 12:33

Stats: 235/180.2/175 Female 5 feet 9 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

Though I cook most of waht I eat, it's nice to know that when I'm rushed I have yet another option.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Mar-31-04, 12:39
Just keep swimming

The carbs might be from the eggs. Sometimes they put "filler" in those commercial cartons of eggs (I found that out at Golden Corral one day).
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Mar-31-04, 15:26

Stats: 212/170/120 Female 5'0"
BF:
Progress: 46%

Hey, I noticed a person from Knoxville. Do you know of any stores that sell low carb items? I have found one locally, but the prices are pretty high.

Thanks!
Kristi
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Mar-31-04, 15:28
Diet Cokeaholic

BF:

Not carbs, fiber. Even with fillers, I don't understand where two grams of fiber comes in. But hey, I'll take it...
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Mar-31-04, 15:59

Stats: 182/170/143 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 31%

Hi triplemom! Love Chattanooga--what a nice place. I'm glad to see so many other LC Tennesseeans on this board!

I agree with ya, Birddog. I try to cook most of my food, too. It's definitely nice that us LC'ers are seeing a lot more options now, fast-food wise. It makes my life a little bit easier!

NoCarbKris--I have seen one low carb store in West Knoxville, in a little shopping center next to West Town Mall...is that the one you've been to?? The prices there are definitely sky high. GNC at West Town has a ton of Atkins-brand and other low carb stuff, and right now all of it is on sale. Actually, I don't know if you shop at the Wal-Marts around here, but the new one on Chapman Highway has a great section of low carb stuff...ice cream, bread, tortillas, candies, pasta, cereal, etc., at reasonable prices.

I'm with Hilary...I'm on a mission to find out where those two grams of fiber in the breakfast bowls comes from. It may remain a mystery
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Mar-31-04, 16:10

Plan: 00
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 00
BF:
Progress: 10%

I had one of those low car Breakfast Bowls. It was different, not sure if I would get another one. I like a regular omelet and fancy things are not my cup of tea.

AC
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Mar-31-04, 16:11
Just keep swimming

Livingintn - We make a trip to the Knoxville zoo about once a year, usually in the fall when everything is so pretty. My husband has a convention in Gatlingburg every fall, so I just love that part of Tennessee! There are several folks in this group in the Nashville area and in upper middle Tennessee.

Another possibility is that the sausage patty could have sugar! Let us know what you find out!
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Mar-31-04, 16:28
Diet Cokeaholic

BF:

Sugar would not explain the fiber. The carbs could easily come from the eggs, the cheese (processed, no doubt) and some filler in the sausage, but the fiber really has me stumped. Someone fill me in if they figure that one out!
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Mar-31-04, 19:28

Stats: 212/170/120 Female 5'0"
BF:
Progress: 46%

livininTN: Thanks for the info on some lo-carb stores! I have only been to nature's pantry located in the bearden hill area. I will check out some of these other places! Thanks.

Hmmm.. the mysterious fiber in the Hardees lo-carb breakfast. Is there any lettuce on it?

Kristi
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Apr-01-04, 12:13

Plan: atkins
Stats: 185/170/170 Male 5'9" and some change
BF:
Progress: 100%

Tried one this morning because I was running late and didnt have time to cook before work. I would give it a 7 out of 10 rating. It was good for the purpose of finding something suitable to eat if you are doing low carb but I wouldn't make an unneccessary trip to Hardee's to get it. I guess I would rather make my own omelet at home but if in a pinch, it works. THE FIBER QUESTION? WHERE DOES IT COME FROM? (IT'S THE PLASTIC-WARE.... :lol. I don't advise anyone to chew on the plastic-ware however. NOT A BAD MONEY MAKING PRODUCT FOR CARL JR OR HARDEE'S.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Apr-01-04, 12:33
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Ack. I was thinking about getting one of those, but 650 cals!!! And not to mention the sodium......
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Apr-01-04, 13:08
Diet Cokeaholic

BF:

Yeah, that's the drawback — the calorie count is super high. But I tried it this morning, and it's a good option if you're out and need to pick up some fast food. Wouldn't make it a part of my daily menu or anything.