Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Mar-29-04, 18:49

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

Saturated fats are the least of our problems. If doctors would finally accept low-carbs diets, but hold the butter and cream it would be a tremendous victory. It will take more time and more studies for the medical community to loose their fear of saturated fat but the low-carb pill is hard enough for them to swallow, we shouldn't expect too much too soon.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Mar-29-04, 18:57
Say cheese!

Plan: Carb'n negative + IF
Stats: 123/106/111 Female 163
BF:
Progress: 142%

I think saturated fat has got such a bad rap over the last couple of decades that it is more or less a dirty word these days and people can’t bring themselves to say you should eat it or at least not be concerned about eating it. I always feel uncomfortable saying I eat ‘saturated’ fat and am more likely to admit to eating only ‘natural’ fats when discussing my WOE. I think we need to come up with a new name for it……..something that doesn’t conjure up images of fat soaked or fat drenched food which is probably how people subconsciously imagine it. How about ‘slightly moist’ fat??
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Mar-29-04, 22:03
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
‘slightly moist’ fat??

LOL! Right on!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Mar-30-04, 13:51

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%
Default My Point Exactly!

Quote:
One criticism levelled at low-carbohydrate diets is that they induce a state of dangerous ketosis, the ketosis being caused by the burning of fats. Funny really, that the whole human race is in a state of ketosis every morning when we rise from our slumbers, before we eat breakfast. Must be very dangerous. Surely the whole point of weight loss diets is to burn the fat we have accumulated. It can be argued that any diet that does not cause a state of ketosis is a total failure.
I have said it before: Ketosis is our natural state and the advent of agriculture and an increased intake of carbohydrates pushed us out of our natural, healthy state. All these doctors, scientists, nutritionists, etc, are only looking at the common, unatural state today.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Mar-30-04, 13:59

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

Quote:
Originally posted by Zedgirl
I think saturated fat has got such a bad rap over the last couple of decades that it is more or less a dirty word these days and people can’t bring themselves to say you should eat it or at least not be concerned about eating it. I always feel uncomfortable saying I eat ‘saturated’ fat...
I went on a three-days camping/hiking trip this weekend with a Sierra Club group where I was the only low-carber. Most people were pretty open but sceptical, but there was one woman who actaully got angry with me that I would even consider eating saturated fat. It was really an eye-opener since most of the people I work with are currently low-carbing.