Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Mar-29-04, 08:57

Plan: low cal, low carb
Stats: 196/145/140 Female 5'6.5
BF:23%
Progress: 91%
Default Australian doctor speaks out

http://www.thewest.com.au/20040329/...-sto122237.html

Fat loss fads: the facts and fallacies

By Dr Geoff Taylor

AS A medical practitioner who has watched for 30 years the changing "fads" of medical dietary advice, the current media campaign highlighted in The West Australian against low-carbohydrate diets strikes me as the height of hypocrisy and intellectual bigotry.

In this modern age, we as practitioners try to practise evidence-based medicine. In other words, no treatment should be recommended unless it has been thoroughly trialled and shown to be of benefit. Conversely, no treatment should be rejected unless it has failed to be shown of benefit.

Here in Australia we are still recommending low-fat diets as the cure for all ills - obesity, heart disease and diabetes.

It may come as a surprise to many that all attempts to show that they prevent heart disease have failed to show any significant benefit. An extensive review of dietary trials in the European Heart Journal (1997) failed to show any benefit from diets low in saturated fat. Indeed, one big study showed a considerably higher mortality in the patients treated for five years with a low-fat diet, and the increased mortality continued for the following 10 years.

The only dietary advice that has been shown through proper trials (DART trial and Lyon study) to be worth while is that we should eat more foods containing particular polyunsaturated fatty acids - we should supplement our diet with fish and fish oils and eat nuts.

The benefits of obese people losing weight are immediately obvious to most of us. The reason the public is adopting low-carbohydrate diets is that they work, whereas countless low-fat diets that have been recommended for the past two decades have failed.

There is nothing new about the Atkins diet promoted since 1972, except it almost encourages participants to eat fat. The Scarsdale diet introduced in 1978 is perhaps much more sensible. It is not hard to create a low-carbohydrate diet that is also low in saturated fats.

Low-carbohydrate diets have been around since Victorian times when William Banting published a small pamphlet in 1863, after losing 21kg in a year. The diet had been suggested by the famous French physician Claude Bernard.

Many of us take issue with the Atkins diet because of its allowance of fat consumption. Yes, we would like to think that this would be harmful. Should we not sit up and take notice when the trials done on the Atkins diet show an improvement in cholesterol and lipid profiles rather than the opposite. Also, patients lost weight more effectively than on a low-fat diet. Are the British really more open-minded than we Aussies? The British Medical journal ran an editorial article last year entitled The Atkins Diet is Vindicated after the American trials were published.

One criticism levelled at low-carbohydrate diets is that they induce a state of dangerous ketosis, the ketosis being caused by the burning of fats. Funny really, that the whole human race is in a state of ketosis every morning when we rise from our slumbers, before we eat breakfast. Must be very dangerous. Surely the whole point of weight loss diets is to burn the fat we have accumulated. It can be argued that any diet that does not cause a state of ketosis is a total failure.

We currently face a worldwide epidemic of obesity and diabetes, a disease of carbohydrate metabolism. Traditionally diabetes was treated with low-carbohydrate diets, but 20 years ago physicians did a mental knight's move, arguing that, as diabetics frequently died of heart disease, we should recommend a low-fat diet.

Trials have failed to demonstrate any benefit for heart disease from this advice, yet the advice for diabetics remains unchanged. Indeed, the dietary advice of Diabetes Australia is that 50 per cent of a diabetic's diet should be carbohydrate. Is it any wonder that our diabetic patients continue to get fatter and their diabetic state deteriorates.

Modern physicians seem to have forgotten the work of Professor Kerin O'Dea, who in 1984 took 10 Aboriginal diabetics out into the desert to live on a traditional hunter-gatherer diet. There was a huge reduction in the carbohydrate in their diets. In just seven weeks, the average weight loss was 8kg, and their diabetes had improved to such a degree that in 50 per cent of them blood sugar levels had fallen to normal levels. What she demonstrated was that diabetes was potentially curable, yet this sentinel paper is largely forgotten.

Nowhere in the world is the answer to our problems more immediately obvious than here in Australia. The human race evolved as hunter-gatherers like the Aboriginals. It is only in the past few centuries, a mere blip in evolutionary time, that we have had access to foods such as refined flour and sugar.

Man has been surviving for many thousands of years on a low-carbohydrate diet. There can be little doubt that before white settlement there was no such thing as obesity in Australia.

The low-fat dietary advice of the past 20 years should be viewed as a social experiment that failed. We face an epidemic of obesity and diabetes, yet the so-called experts are rejecting the most useful dietary management out of hand without considering the facts. Are they throwing the baby out with the bath water?

Geoff Taylor is a Busselton doctor
........................................................................ ..................

I sent this article to the politician over here who is talking about
spending money on anti-lc programmes.

Val
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Mar-29-04, 09:18
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 222/165/133 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 64%

Brave man going against the trends in Australia. Its about time that doctors realised that their patients DO have brains.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Mar-29-04, 09:34

Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

How refreshing to hear a doctor clearly and candidly speaking his mind. As far as I know, Australia is a very active, athletic society. If they are having problems with carbs, then everyone is!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Mar-29-04, 09:36

Plan: The Real Human Diet
Stats: 225/165/180 Male 5'8"
BF:?/?/8.6%
Progress: 133%

Wow, what a great article. Unfortunatley, I have heard of very few doctors expressing such an opinion.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Mar-29-04, 09:36
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hear, hear. Excellent letter. A little off the mark in the fear of saturated fat, but still true.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Mar-29-04, 09:51

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/152/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 110%

How refreshing to hear this sort of thing from a doctor
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Mar-29-04, 10:13

Plan: atkins
Stats: 185/180/165 Male 68 inches
BF:25
Progress: 25%

Right on! The American Diabetic Association presently advertises on its website that diabetics should eat "lots and lots of starches" and "put dried fruit on their cereal." They must be affiliated with a funeral franchise.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Mar-29-04, 13:41

Plan: high fat low carb
Stats: 215/152/150 Female 5ft 5in
BF:
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by VALEWIS
http://www.thewest.com.au/20040329/...-sto122237.html

It may come as a surprise to many that all attempts to show that they prevent heart disease have failed to show any significant benefit. An extensive review of dietary trials in the European Heart Journal (1997) failed to show any benefit from diets low in saturated fat. Indeed, one big study showed a considerably higher mortality in the patients treated for five years with a low-fat diet, and the increased mortality continued for the following 10 years.

yes, so why then??????:

There is nothing new about the Atkins diet promoted since 1972, except it almost encourages participants to eat fat. The Scarsdale diet introduced in 1978 is perhaps much more sensible. It is not hard to create a low-carbohydrate diet that is also low in saturated fats.

Val

He seems a little confused about saturated fats----if there is no benefit from diets low in saturated fat, why should we create low-carb diets low in saturated fat?
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Mar-29-04, 14:14

Stats: 235/214/160 Female 5' 8"
BF:40
Progress: 28%

All I can say is hear, hear.

A co-worker and fellow diabetic went to the local diabetes clinic and was told to eat and drink what he wanted. I choose the LC path instead. Guess who's not having near the problems? Me that's right.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Mar-29-04, 14:42
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

That's a great editorial!

I liked this:

Quote:
One criticism levelled at low-carbohydrate diets is that they induce a state of dangerous ketosis, the ketosis being caused by the burning of fats. Funny really, that the whole human race is in a state of ketosis every morning when we rise from our slumbers, before we eat breakfast. Must be very dangerous. Surely the whole point of weight loss diets is to burn the fat we have accumulated. It can be argued that any diet that does not cause a state of ketosis is a total failure.

Evelyn, I was confused by that too. He says first off, evidence based medicine, but then he says there's no evidence saturated fats are the problem, then he said that. That was weird.

Last edited by Nancy LC : Mon, Mar-29-04 at 14:47.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Mar-29-04, 16:48

Plan: low cal, low carb
Stats: 196/145/140 Female 5'6.5
BF:23%
Progress: 91%

He also pointed to the research on Atkins showing that it benefits lipid profiles. I think what he was getting at was, that if you ARE worried about sat fats, then you can still go on a low carb diet anyway.. at least that is how I read it. Still, it seems a lot of docs who have come this far are still not prepared to recommend eating so much sat fats...S Beach Diet being a case in point....its a brave doc who joins the THINCS set and will say that the cholesterol/fat-heart theory is a myth.

I wonder if Dr Taylor is low carbing himself.

Val
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Mar-29-04, 18:20
Registered Member

Plan: Eades
Stats: 278/236/181
BF:44%/33%/14%
Progress: 43%

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvelynS
He seems a little confused about saturated fats----if there is no benefit from diets low in saturated fat, why should we create low-carb diets low in saturated fat?

I believe his point was that a low carb diet doesn't have to be high fat. He seemed to be kicking the legs out from under the usual arguments against low carb.
Ketosis= good not bad
diabetes= low carb helps rather than hinders
high fat= Hasn't been shown to be harmful, but even if one can't accept high fat as healthy you can still eat low carb.

Just my 2 cents
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Mar-29-04, 18:49

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

Saturated fats are the least of our problems. If doctors would finally accept low-carbs diets, but hold the butter and cream it would be a tremendous victory. It will take more time and more studies for the medical community to loose their fear of saturated fat but the low-carb pill is hard enough for them to swallow, we shouldn't expect too much too soon.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Mar-29-04, 18:57
Say cheese!

Plan: Carb'n negative + IF
Stats: 123/106/111 Female 163
BF:
Progress: 142%

I think saturated fat has got such a bad rap over the last couple of decades that it is more or less a dirty word these days and people can’t bring themselves to say you should eat it or at least not be concerned about eating it. I always feel uncomfortable saying I eat ‘saturated’ fat and am more likely to admit to eating only ‘natural’ fats when discussing my WOE. I think we need to come up with a new name for it……..something that doesn’t conjure up images of fat soaked or fat drenched food which is probably how people subconsciously imagine it. How about ‘slightly moist’ fat??
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Mar-29-04, 22:03
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
‘slightly moist’ fat??

LOL! Right on!