Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Mar-27-04, 20:04

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 417/213/117 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 68%
Default some new recipes I tried

Well I've been on a kick to try new things. I have had some successes and some busts. The mock potato salad in my opinion was a bust although I have heard most people rave about it. Maybe I am just too much of a potato salad addict to be able to eat anything other than real potato salad. Even back in my non-dieting days I would turn my nose up at regular potato salad if it wasn't made exactly the way I like it. So for me I just don't think it's going to be happening. Instead I made coleslaw today and I have to say SUCCESS. Easy to make too. I will be using that from now on when I want something like cole slaw or potato salad. I finally made the mozzarella sticks. They did not work at all. Maybe I am a moron and didn't cook them right but they just didn't work. Eating the mozarella by itself is better. I also bought some no cal, no carb marinara sauce. DISGUSTING. That was a bust too. However I made the atkins 1 carb biscuits for the first time and they were WONDERFUL!!!!! I was in total heaven. They taste exactly like northern cornbread. Just plain outstanding. I put a tiny bit of sugar free jam on mine too and I just was in heaven. Now I keep thinking of trying to make a strawberry shortcake with these biscuits.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Mar-27-04, 20:57

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 279/247/180 Female 5' 4"
BF:Way/too/much
Progress: 32%

I don't think I'll like the Mock Potato salad either. Where is the recipe for the Atkins biscuits or are they store bought? I just tried O'solos Banana Nut rolls and I didn't like them at ALL. I've been loading them with cream cheese and sprinkling cinnamon on them just to get rid of them. I hate wasting money . I also just tried Brown Sugar Twin and it was SO bitter I couldn't taste any sweetness at all and I tasted it for about a half an hour after I tried it. I think that's all I've tried lately.

Alli
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Mar-27-04, 21:38

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 417/213/117 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 68%

Here is the recipe for the biscuits

Low Carb Biscuits-(1 carb per biscuit)

1 cup Atkins Baking mix
1 1/2 tsp. Baking Powder
2 tablespoons veg. oil
2 eggs beaten
4 ounces heavy cream
3 tsp. Splenda
All purpose flour for dusting
Butter, to spread over the tops of the biscuits

In a large bowl, mix the Atkins Baking Mix with the baking powder. In another bowl combine the veg. oil, eggs, heavy cream and splenda together. Pour a little at a time the egg mixture, stirring to blend all of the ingredients. Gather the dough together and dust your flat surface with flour. Knead a few minutes. Flatten and using a biscuit cutter* cut the biscuits out and place on a lightly greased-(unless using a non-stick baking pan)-pan. Bake at 350 degrees 15 to 20 minutes until brown. Spread butter on top of the biscuits.

* An easy biscuit cutter is to take an empty can and punch holes at the top. Flour the inside to use.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Mar-27-04, 21:39

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 178/147/140 Female 5'2"
BF:Haven't/a/Clue
Progress: 82%

I made the Atkins Blueberry Scone (one big, sticky mess - probably because you couldn't make it into "real" scone shapes). The flavour was absolutely horrendus! Hopefully everything I make from Atkins Bake Mix won't be equally as horrible, or I've wasted money on a can of worthlessness.

Have made a few other things that have turned out well, but none come to mind really. I don't try out that many new recipes (oh, Karen's pine nut crusted halibut was really wonderful, even if I probably didn't do it exactly right).

I've made some low carb bread, and, while it was good, I have no desire to use up my allowance of carbs on bread, when I can have so much else instead.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Mar-28-04, 09:25

Plan: Undecided atm
Stats: 162/000/115 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 345%

The pumpkin pancakes on the www.atkins.com site is the one recipe that I actually buy the atkins bake mix for. They are wonderful. Unfortunately that is the only recipe with bakemix that I have really found that I like. I'll have to just keep trying though.

Jenn
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Mar-28-04, 09:31
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

If you want a good marinara sauce I highly reccomend Paesana. Its the brand I was eating before I ever started low carb and its just amazing. The ingredients are only like roma tomatoes, fresh basil, extra virgin olive oil and sea salt. I dont even think they add anything else to it. No sugar or chemicals and the taste is so good. I eat it as a soup sometimes. It has 5 carbs per 1/2 cup. I know the ragu light has the same but this tastes a billion times better and doesnt have all the preservatives.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Mar-29-04, 08:30

Plan: Atkins, keto
Stats: 230/230/150 Female 67.5"
BF:
Progress: 0%

I make my own marinara sauce which is naturally low carb and I love it. I eat it like soup,too. It's actually a recipe from one of Suzanne Somers' books. There is a faux-tatoe recipe in the recipe section that is absolutely wonderful. I did a search for cauliflower and found it under Twice Baked Potatoes. Even my non-LCing family likes it, although my son says it does not taste like potatoes.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Mar-29-04, 09:04

Plan: Atkins now SB (trying)
Stats: 173/145.5/125 Female 5'2 (Still) lol
BF:
Progress: 57%
Default I made....

Pizza yesterday - that was yummy - and a change - just like we wnated. Didn't miss the crust at all....since we had all the good stuff.

I also made Atkins Banana Nut Muffins which turned out pretty good as well. I had one for breakfast this morning with some cream cheese.

I think I'm going to try the biscuit recipe (posted above) next weekend.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Mar-29-04, 09:17

Stats: 273.5/236.0/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 33%

So to get the 1 carb biscuit how many does this recipe make? I'm thinking at least 12, but that doesn't add up quite right if the Atkins mix is 3 carbs per 1/4 cup. Is it 18?

thanks, PecanPie
Quote:
Originally Posted by armywife3
Here is the recipe for the biscuits

Low Carb Biscuits-(1 carb per biscuit)

1 cup Atkins Baking mix
1 1/2 tsp. Baking Powder
2 tablespoons veg. oil
2 eggs beaten
4 ounces heavy cream
3 tsp. Splenda
All purpose flour for dusting
Butter, to spread over the tops of the biscuits

In a large bowl, mix the Atkins Baking Mix with the baking powder. In another bowl combine the veg. oil, eggs, heavy cream and splenda together. Pour a little at a time the egg mixture, stirring to blend all of the ingredients. Gather the dough together and dust your flat surface with flour. Knead a few minutes. Flatten and using a biscuit cutter* cut the biscuits out and place on a lightly greased-(unless using a non-stick baking pan)-pan. Bake at 350 degrees 15 to 20 minutes until brown. Spread butter on top of the biscuits.

* An easy biscuit cutter is to take an empty can and punch holes at the top. Flour the inside to use.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Mar-29-04, 09:18

Stats: 260/208.8/130 Female 5 FT 5 IN
BF:
Progress: 39%

I made pizza last night and used the MiniCarb brand, Pizza Crust Mix, Parmesan Herb. I was not expecting it to be very good, but it came out fantastic! It was terribly hard to roll out, but it was worth the extra effort.
Instead of tomato sauce I used the Atkins barbeque sauce. Then we topped it with red onions, mushrooms, chicken and cheese. Not exactly California Pizza Kitchen, but it was pretty good if I say so myself.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Mar-29-04, 09:37

Plan: THM
Stats: 182/154/130 Female 5'3"
BF:00/00/00
Progress: 54%

Oh my gosh! It seems that I've tried so many recipes in the past year but a few of my "successes" that come to mind include: Wonder Waffles (absolute nirvana!); Orange/Strawberry/Banana shake (using SF orange-flavored Citrucel); Zucchini Alfredo; caulitators; brownies; and Faux Potato Salad (tastes so close to the real thing to me - however, my sis-in-law says she can STILL taste the cauliflower (which she can't stand anyway)). I haven't tried making any LC bread yet - maybe sometime in the future.

Busts: Atkins Pancakes (from the recipe on the bake mix container - eyoo!); most LC hot cereals (too slimy); LC Zucchini bread - ok, this last failure was MY fault - I forgot that my pumpkin seeds were not only salted but still in the shell - I added the salt called for in the recipe and it turned out WAY too salty and I felt like I was eating wood pulp from the shells not getting ground fine enough (I know, fiber is a GOOD thing, but not when you feel like you're just chewing on wood!) I plan on retrying the last one again, tho.

As for the pre-boxed LC products, I haven't tried any yet 'cuz the cost is just way too prohibitive for my budget! IMHO, I can get so much more in the way of fresh veggies, etc., instead of maybe a few muffins! Maybe once my last two kids are out on their own then I'll be able to afford such luxuries (both teenage boys w/ hollow legs!)
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Mar-29-04, 11:56

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 219/210/150 Female 64"
BF:34
Progress:

my hubby won't let me cook anything until he sees it! I tricked him one day and made spaghetti squash instead of regular pasta. Did not go over well. I would love to try the mock potato salas, but can't get him out of the kitchen. Unfortuantely he heard about using cauliflower in the place of the potatoes, he LOVES cauliflower but vetoed the mock idea altogether. He has lost 40 pounds on Atkins though, so I have to let him have his way sometime. I have finally started losing agin myself, although it has taken Jazzercise to do it. I sit behind a desk all day..well, you get the drift. Keep those recipes coming!