Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Mar-28-04, 09:28
Registered Member

Plan: Bernstein's Diabetic Solu
Stats: 230/190/150 Female 5 foot 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%
Default What did I do to myself

Last night at a friends there were Jelly Beans on the table and absent mindedly I ate some, well a hand full........then another handfull before I realized what I was doing........

When I got home I took my BG and it was 175 ( less than an hour after eating them)

This morning my fasting BG was 122

For the past month my BG readings have been good. At least I think they have as they are within the limits set by the diatician

What happens to us when our readings spike once in while because we get stupid?

How long will it take before I get a "normal" reading again?

Should I be scared?

I am not on meds, just diet controlled for now

I feel so stupid, can't believe I put my health at risk like that
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Mar-28-04, 09:38
Flutterby

Plan: All that make sense
Stats: 220/212/160 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 13%

Well, one, dont be so hard on yourself.. it will happen once in awhile..and its just catching yourself quicker and quicker and stopping midway.. or stopping before.. and those things will come in time.. with practice, and we still will all goof from time to time!

As far as normal goes..it may be a day or so before it gets back on an even keel, or what you are accustomed to...

I was reading last nite about what dr bernstein coins the 'chinese restaurant effect'...... where even just eating a 'good' or 'legal' food, can spike bg's..if we over indulge.. there is more to the explanation, but found it pretty interesting and answered alot of my questions about this.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Mar-28-04, 19:24
Registered Member

Plan: Bernstein
Stats: 252/196/200 Male 78 inches
BF:
Progress: 108%

I ate dessert on the plane trip to Fiji about a month ago. The dessert, combined with the lack of mobility/exercise on the plane sent me higher than I like... 144. My BG's seemed jittery for the next couple of days... but they recovered.

Give it another day... I suspect that you will be fine. The carb content of those jelly beans were burned off already.

You can take a look at my data if you want at http://www.pappasfam.com/diabetes/Jim_stats.htm

I think the dessert episode was around February 20th.

/Jim
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Mar-28-04, 19:33

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Sugarpie...part of being human (and therefore less than perfect) means that we will all make less than great choices from time to time. Don't beat yourself up over it, but do make an effort to learn from it.
One strategy I've used to prevent eating something I shouldn't without thinking is to physically move the bowl out of reach; that way, I would have to consciously get up and go over to it to eat it instead of putting it in my mouth absent mindedly in a moment of distraction (old habits are so hard to break, aren't they?).
What damage is done? Hard to say. You know what your blood sugar looked like an hour after eating the jelly beans and what it looked like this morning. How long it stayed high is probably more important than how high it actually got, although I do strive to prevent spikes like that. There are times, though, like when you are sick that your blood sugar is going to spike despite your best efforts. The best we can do is try to keep those spikes to a minimum and get the blood sugar down as quickly as possible when they do occur (going for a brisk 30-45 minute walk after eating those jelly beans might have helped with that).
You might also find that your blood sugars are a little "trigger happy" for the next few days as your body settles down again in that even eating as you should they may go higher than you would expect. You may also find yourself craving more in the next few days after that jolt of sugar.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Mar-28-04, 19:54

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 290/246.5/230 Male 74 inches
BF:??/19/12
Progress: 73%
Default I did worse

A couple months ago, we got some fast food, and we ordered diet cokes (my wife drink diet too). I didn't realize until I had drinken about all of a 16 oz regular coke that it wasn't diet. Sent me to 160 at one hours and 245 at the two hour, and then back to 90 at three hours.

I usually never get to 150, so it was quite a shock. Realize though that there are Type II in the world who would say that is the best they can do. Of course, if I drank sugar all the time, I bet that would be about the best I could do too.

Anyway, didn't effect my HbA1c at all, came back at 5.4.

Later,
wsgts
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Mar-29-04, 06:38
Registered Member

Plan: Bernstein's Diabetic Solu
Stats: 230/190/150 Female 5 foot 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

Thanks for the replies, I was realy scared...........still am, this whole diabetes thing just weighs so heavily on my mind

I appreciate your help
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Mar-29-04, 17:46
Registered Member

BF:

wsgts,

When I go to a restaurant, I seldom get a coke at all unless it comes in a bottle (and I can see that it is diet)... or I serve myself (I can see the dispenser).

If I do order a fountain drink, then if possible, I check with a BG strip... but I do not have them with me all of the time. Otherwise... I ask the server 2 or 3 times to make sure it is diet. I used to suck down cokes like crazy... its no wonder i got this horrid disease!

/Jim
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Mar-29-04, 17:54

BF:

Maybe it's just me, but I've been drinking diet soda for so long that I can taste the difference immediately when I'm served a regular instead of diet (and it's happened quite a few times!).
OTOH, I've been known to mistake someone else's Beam and Coke for my iced tea..talk about a shock to your taste buds!
The idea of testing with a glucose test strip is a good one, too (I believe Dr. B recommends that in his book).
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Mar-29-04, 18:30
Registered Member

BF:

Lisa,

I think I can tell too... but if I do not know for sure... then my mind starts playing tricks on me

/Jim
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Mar-29-04, 19:01

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP
Lisa,

I think I can tell too... but if I do not know for sure... then my mind starts playing tricks on me

/Jim

Jim...if it tastes like regular, I send it back. Usually the next one I'm brought is diet because I inform the server that "I'm diabetic and a regular Coke would not do pretty things to me, so please make sure that it's diet".