Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Mar-28-04, 07:34
Registered Member

Plan: Modified Atkins/General
Stats: 144//135 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 64%
Angry HELP! Cheated & drank alcohol (lots) on Induction

Hi,

I normally just read posts here and occasionally need/give advice, which is why my login name probably doesn't look very familiar.

I am down in the dumps and need some advice. Yesterday was Day 10 of my Induction, and last night my hubby and I got a babysitter for our 2 year-old and decided to go to eat Mexican. I knew it would be very hard for me to eat Mexican since I was on Day 10 of Induction and the chips would be sitting right in front of me. WEll, I did really well since I ate a taco salad with no shell and mostly lettuce, chicken and cheese.

Here is where I blew it. By the way, I had already had 2 alcoholic drinks on Induction, which did no harm as I was already at 6 pounds lost. I drank a tiny little mudslide (kahlua, vodka and ice blended in a TINY little 6 oz glass) and once I had that one I had another, and then we left to go to Dave and Busters and I had ANOTHER one but I told the guy only alcohol, no ice cream as I am on a low-carb diet and he goes and lines the glass with chocolate, and I drank that one, and...that was it THANK GOD, but I sware I feel like a teenager who went to a party, drank too much and got in a fight or did something else really stupid, and here I am the next morning whining about it.

I am SO depressed. I got on the scale and THREE pounds are back. How could that be? After 9 days of working so hard, I have 3 drinks and I just blew it? Or could it be water weight from drinking? Someone please help before I give up and eat pancakes with syrup for breakfast.

Thanks for reading.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Mar-28-04, 07:47

Plan: new revolution
Stats: 251/214/145 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 35%
Wink

Kahula is loaded with sugar
if you are going to drink try to stick with straight spirits not flavoured or sugar ones
It explains everything on how the diet works in the book
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Mar-28-04, 07:49

Plan: Carb Cycling
Stats: 188/173/150 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 39%

We all blow it occasionally, get right back on the horse. Try not to get the mentality that I did in December. It goes like this "oh well, I already messed up this (day, week,month), so Ill just eat whatever. Dont allow that to happen it makes it really hard to get back on track. Believe it or not, if you stick to what Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution says to do, it will work, and the cravings for those drinks will go away. Dont beat yourself up, youre human, this is new to you. Best of luck! P.S. I loved sweet choc. drinks with kalua also.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Mar-28-04, 07:56
Under Construction

Plan: LC/BFL
Stats: 245/148/140 Female 5'4"
BF:less/than/B4
Progress: 92%

That extra weight will be gone in 2 days if you get back on plan. It is probably water retension.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Mar-28-04, 07:58
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 270/215/150 Female 5'4
BF:not sure
Progress: 46%

Ok, just relax! First of all, it is probably just retention of water - it has probably knocked you out of ketosis, and may not show for a couple days - best advice - get right back on the bandwagon - go back on strict induction for the next week, starting immediately, and you should be just fine .
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Mar-28-04, 08:33
Getting back to me

Plan: LC WW
Stats: 176/167.2/145 Female 5'7" in
BF:
Progress: 28%

Iluv,

That's really unfortunate! Like the others ar saying, it's water retention. During the week before last, I went to NOLA for spring break and stayed true to the plan but, was having two glasses of red wine a day. Last week, I dropped the wine and I have lost about 4 of the 7 that I am up. Drink lots of water..moreso than normal for a few days and you should get back on track!

Chin up, kiddo!
Dana
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Mar-28-04, 10:58
Registered Member

BF:
Wink Thank you!!!

You guys made me feel A LOT better. I sware, I don't think I would have made it this far without this board to come to. I am back on the bandwagon...2g carbs so far today, and decided that my Induction needs to go at least 3 days longer (17 total days) since I blew it and drank the alcohol last night. That will be my punishment. Also no alcohol for me until our river trip on April 13th. I bought LC Margarita mix for the trip!

Thanks again!
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Mar-28-04, 11:44

Plan: Low GI
Stats: 370/170/170 Male 6'1
BF:10%
Progress: 100%

yep.. if u are going to drink, drink plain ol rum. zero carbs, but all alcohol will still knock you out of ketosis. Whenever i drink just rum, i at least dont gain any weight.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Mar-28-04, 12:10

Plan: atkins
Stats: 185/157/140 Female 55
BF:
Progress: 62%

also keep in mind if you are going to drink, drink straight alcohol. just look them up on there sites and most rums whiskeys and such have 0 carbs. Goes nicely with a diet coke when you must drink
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Mar-28-04, 12:50

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 249/232/196 Male 5'11
BF:
Progress: 32%

I've been drinking alcohol every week since I started the plan and its probadly slowed my weight loss but I don't care because you can take my sweets and bread and fruit away but not my Drink
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Mar-28-04, 17:45

Plan: South Beach-ish
Stats: 170/134/120 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 72%

I drink on the weekends. (Fiance is in the Air Force, so you know how it is!) I drink Diet Rite and regular-non flavored vodka. I'm still losing at the same rate as when I dont drink, so I figure, I'm happy with whats going on, why ditch the drinks? Theres much worse things I could be drinking, why not just relax, have a few drinks and be happy =) This is a WOE, and like Dumb said, I can do without my chocolate but you better let me keep my drink =P
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Mar-28-04, 18:16

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 417/213/117 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 68%

Do not get depressed. We've all done things like this especially in the beginning. It takes like 30 days or something to get your mind in a habit. If you had been doing atkins a year you would have given the chocolate lined glass back but in the beginning days you still will keep it! Just know what kind of alcohol you can have. Mich ultra and count the carbs. If you are going to drink keep carbs low during the day. Also the less you eat the less you have to drink. I find low carbing makes it possible to only drink 2 beers and you're done.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Mar-28-04, 19:58
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 142/133/120 Female 5' 5"
BF:22%
Progress: 41%

Boy, I hate to say it but I needed this thread today! I went out last night & had 4 or 5 Long Island Iced Teas, which have 11.7 grams of carbs each. Of course, I was feeling frisky & went to McDonald's ~ 2:30 a.m. to get a Big Mac & fries, which I ate entirely!!! I don't feel bad about it though as I know this WOE is something you learn over time, not overnight. Everybody deserves to let their hair down occasionally. I can't feel like I am in diet prison or I won't last on the diet. I could have done without the Big Mac because I didn't really eat them before Atkins but too many Long Islands will make you do crazy things & I was so hungry. Oh, and I am on day 15 of induction. On a good note, I didn't weigh any more today than I did yesterday so it must have had no effect on me...THANK GOD!!!
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Mar-28-04, 20:57
Registered Member

BF:

Dear Bon Jovi Fan,

Glad to hear I am not alone! I hope you enjoyed your drinks, Big Mac and fries. Funny because my mom pretty much told me the same thing...to just enjoy life every once in a while. Maybe if the scale did not say I was THREE pounds heavier this AM I wouldn't se so sad...but it IS that time of the month, too, so who knows.

I have a question for you...have you gone from 142 to 130 since since you recetly started Induction (I Looked at your profile as your weight stats are so close to mine), or have you been losing that weight for a while? Just curious...and if you HAVE lost it all in 15 days, wow, I am jealous!