Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Mar-25-04, 12:55
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 262/232/150 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 27%
Default What does it feel like to have a planned cheat?

I've been on this WOE since Nov 2003 and I have not cheated with any HC foods yet. However, my weight loss has slowed to a crawl and I was wondering if maybe a planned cheat would be the answer to get things going again. My question is: How does it affect your body? Do you get sick? Does it bring on major cravings? What kinds of food do you cheat with?

Anything anyone could tell me would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Mar-25-04, 13:26
Bouncy!

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 297/173.3/150 Female 5'7" (top weight 340)
BF:41%/31%/??%
Progress: 84%

I'll be honest, a planned cheat has not done anything to improve my rate of weight loss. Probably the opposite. I did try it to try to jumpstart my metabolism once, but it really didn't seem to do anything. I did lose a pound that week, but on average I've been losing a pound a week, so that was probably a coincidence.

Other types of planned cheats I've had have been more like when I went away on business to Paris. I knew there would be some amazing food so I gave myself permission to indulge once in a while that week. One day I had the most amazing dessert at lunch, but the rest of the lunch I had was low-carb. Same thing with dinner another night, no starches or bread, but I had the dessert. Those types of cheats aren't to jumpstart metabolism, but just to enjoy. They are the ones I worry about the most, never knowing if you've awoken the carb monster who will overtake your life again. If you plan to do that kind of a cheat, know your limits, when you plan to stop and then stop then, no matter what. Don't let a cheat turn into a slide.

Valerie
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Mar-25-04, 13:59
Registered Member

Plan: ckd 24 hr carb up
Stats: 240/234/? Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 5%

I'll tell you something that will "boost" your metabolism. I know I say it often on this forum, and please understand I'm not trying to change your diet plan...you can do this without changing from yours at all.

There are many things that people try to help them "boost" their metabolism such as coconut oil, oil of oregano, l-carnatine, and CoQ10, amoungst others. All of these have been helpful to some people, but the only thing I know of that will help everyone is strength training. Not heavy weight lifting but exercise using resistance. As you increase your lean body mass (muscle) you burn more calories and fat. Muscles are very efficient at this, and will continue to burn calories even while you are at rest. YOu needn't change your diet or buy expensive equipment. Most exercises can be done easily at low weight levels with a simple set of hand weights (or even some homemade versions if you can't afford anything. Some people use dried beans in water bottles, etc. I'm sure others on here can give good suggestions about that). A book of exercises can be handy, but you can also look up stuff on the web. You can also practice yoga and pilates as they are strength training exercises as well.

If you are having any ongoing medical issues, talk with your doctor about the best strength training exercises for you. Everyone, no matter what is wrong with them, can benefit from strengthing somewhat, and it will be hard to find a doctor that disagrees.

Good luck and I hope this will help!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Mar-25-04, 14:07
Give chance a chance

Plan: General LC maintenance
Stats: 152.6/115.6/115 Female 60 inches
BF:28%
Progress: 98%

I agree with Valerie. Since last September, I have had a once every 4-6 weeks planned treat of fried clams. Most seafood restaurants give you huge portions of them, so I haven't been tempted by the hush puppies or french fries. I have been known to eat the little cup of cole slaw that comes with the clams, which probably is prepared with some sugar.

Those meals have neither jump started me out of a slow loss, or stalled me completely. It's just nice to have a favorite meal to look forward to every now and then.

Kay
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Mar-25-04, 16:13

Plan: Atkins, keto
Stats: 230/230/150 Female 67.5"
BF:
Progress: 0%

My doctor ordered me to have a planned cheat 4 times a month, to keep my metabolism stirred up. However, I have found that if I cheat, even a planned cheat, I blow up like a balloon. And the next day I am starved, all day.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Mar-25-04, 16:26

Stats: 250/130/150 Female 5' 1"
BF:Not anymore!
Progress: 120%

I have had 3 planned days off since beginning in August, 03. I ate Thanksgiving dinner, Christmas dinner, and went to a friend's house for dinner. All three times I ate the full meal, which included things like bread, stuffing, rice, etc. I had a small piece of pie at Thanksgiving...interestingly enough, none of the desserts looked good to me at Christmas time, so I didn't have any. On all three occasions I went right back to eating LC the next day and I didn't experience a surge of cravings, nor did I get sick. The hardest part was not letting myself get up the next day and say "well, maybe I'll get back on it tomorrow..." Especially during the holidays...my family said things like, "one more day won't hurt..." But I didn't, I jumped right back on it and didn't have any major side-effects. Of course my weight was up a couple of pounds the next day, but it came off as soon as I went back to LC. One funny thing was, each time, even though I had given myself permission to take a meal off, I had a high anxiety-level as I began eating the carby foods...almost like I thought it was going to do something to me . It took a couple of bites before I relaxed and thought, "it's okay, you're not out of control, this is a special occasion". Once I relaxed I enjoyed everything immensely.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Mar-25-04, 18:18
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

Rather than a planned cheat, why don't you try varying your exercise or the amount of calories you eat? I have been alternating between low and somewhat higher calorie days and that seems to be helping me get my weight loss moving again. Also, increasing exercise without increasing the amount of food you eat is a good way to burn extra calories. I am not aware of anyone who found that regular planned cheats helped them lose, but I am aware of quite a few people who had the opposite experience -- planned treats helped them gain.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Mar-25-04, 19:22
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 270/215/150 Female 5'4
BF:not sure
Progress: 46%

One thing that works for me si saving my favorite low carb meal for a rare occassion - like hotwings - I make a big batch on a saturday night, and it feels like I have totally cheated! I love it!!...

I have never cheated, but I have to admit, the thought has crossed my mind. I have heard so many stories on here about the "hangover" that I am almost afriad to.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Mar-25-04, 19:33

Plan: IF & Paleo
Stats: 270/254/150 Female 68 inches
BF:--- too much!
Progress: 13%

Quote:
Originally Posted by teresamay
One thing that works for me si saving my favorite low carb meal for a rare occassion - like hotwings - I make a big batch on a saturday night, and it feels like I have totally cheated! I love it!!...

That is so true! I also love buffalo wings, so DH and I go out everyone few weeks to sports bar-type place with friends. It feels so Wally&Beve!
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Mar-25-04, 20:39

Stats: 378/295/159 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 38%

Well, I am having a crisis right now because of a cheat. I cheated Tuesday night and was supposed to go right back on the next morning, well......... I am still off and gonna try again tomorrow. I can tell you for sure that the cravings will be totally out of control! For the first time since Jan. when I started this WOE, I do not have control over my appetite again. I think about food all day long and if I can get back on this WOE, I will NEVER cheat again.

I would NOT suggest it, but if you do I can tell you one thing for sure, get right back on the next day, do not drag it out.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Mar-26-04, 08:15

Plan: Curves
Stats: 315/286/150 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 18%

I, too have been thinking about a planned cheat, but I am enjoying being completely detached from food so much that I don't think I will. My dh wants to take me out for my birthday, and have it be a cheat meal, but I don't really want to. I'll probably suggest a steak house. I thought I read that one or two people revved up their metabolism with a planned cheat, but its too scary for me.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Mar-26-04, 09:16

Stats: 272/199/175 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 75%

I've had 2 planned cheat days for special events since I restarted in January. They don't jump start my metabolism at all but are just to give me something to look forward to. I usually gain 3 lbs and lose it within a week. The carbs never make me sick or give me a "carb hangover".
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Mar-26-04, 19:59
aka Celestine

Stats: 247/185/160 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 71%

I have had 2 planned cheats in my year of LCing. I didn't really have any effect from them weight-wise, but I can tell you that I didn't enjoy the food as much as I thought I would. The second time I felt really bad for a couple of days afterwards, stomach/intestinal discomfort, sluggish, ugh.

I really don't have any desire to do it again. I imagine that some day I will, and will go through the whole thing all over again, but not in the near future.

Liz
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Mar-27-04, 16:59
Registered Member

Plan: modified atkins
Stats: 290/289.4/160 Female 69
BF:42.2/42.2/?
Progress: 0%

I don't like to call what I do a cheat. It makes me feel worse (mentally) than I do physically. Any time I stray from my low carb (usually Texas Roadhouse Rolls and spread) I really feel it the next day. I am ususally looking for some snacks in the house - that aren't there. I have cravings and look for higher carb goodies. I usually keep my carbs down, so the extras don't have a major effect on my weightloss, but it makes me want more. Fortunately, I don't go there very often.