Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Mar-24-04, 12:58

Plan: SB (formerly Atkins)
Stats: 196.5/167/140 Female 5' 4
BF:
Progress: 52%
Default Should my husband do CAD?

I have been doing Atkins since October, and I've had good success with it. My husband started the same time I did, but he didn't lose weight and quit after two weeks (it may have even been one week; I can't recall). Anyway, even though he feels SO much better when he eats LC, he is having a hard time mentally giving up the thought of pasta and potatoes. (He could probably be happy having dessert only twice a year ... not me. )

He is definitely a carb addict. I don't think I am; I scored 1 on the CA test. (Of course, I would have scored a little higher in my pre-Atkins days.) But I really do think that for him, the mental barrier of giving up pasta, potatoes, etc., is blocking him from committing to ANY LC plan.

I have a few questions: How restrictive does CAD feel compared to Atkins? Is someone like my husband a good candidate? If keeping up with two plans is too hard, is there any reason CAD wouldn't work for me too?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Mar-24-04, 13:56
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

I don't think you'd even have problems doing 2 plans. Just make your breakfasts and lunches the same, though slightly more restricted, then for dinner make the same thing, just let him choose a "carb" to go with his meal. The salad, veggie, and protien portion of RM would be fine for Atkins.

If having those carbs anywhere near you is a danger, maybe work out whre his RM is for lunch if he eats out for lunch alot. Then just share breakfast and dinner.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Mar-24-04, 14:38

Plan: SB (formerly Atkins)
Stats: 196.5/167/140 Female 5' 4
BF:
Progress: 52%

Quote:
If having those carbs anywhere near you is a danger, maybe work out whre his RM is for lunch if he eats out for lunch alot. Then just share breakfast and dinner.
Nah, that part wouldn't bother me too much. He already has chips and stuff around the house. I can even pass up chocolate cake sitting right on the counter! I just thought it might be easier to do it together, rather than him doing CAD (though admittedly, I haven't read the book, so I'm not entirely sure what he'd be eating) while I'm trying to work my way through OWL.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Mar-24-04, 18:01
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/260.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 58%

Here's the cheat sheet. You can take a look at it. I don't see any reason it won't work for both of you. If you want to continue with OWL while DH is on CAD, that's doable too.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Mar-24-04, 19:53

Plan: CAD/CALP
Stats: 233/192/145 Female 62"
BF:
Progress: 47%

I agree. I think it would work for both of you. You can stick to Atkins and DH can do CAD. The fact that he doesn't have to give up all his favorite foods might make it easier for him to stick with CAD.

Let us know how it goes if he decides to try it.