Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Oct-24-01, 12:32

Plan: protein power
Stats: 168.8/157.9/130 Male 5 foot 2 inches
BF:33.1/27/20
Progress: 28%
Question day 5

Hi I'm new
this WOE has been a sublime experience . No problems with ketosis , last night I was 8 on Ketostix . Drinking at least 64oz water , taking multivitamins and fibre . Eating not more than 15 g CHO per day and writing it all down . I am not loosing rapidly at all , I dont tihink I've lost a whole pound yet so I'm just a little dissappointed . I also have a foggy head most of the day and I'm waking up all through the night . In the beginning I also had a slight headache most of the day which seems to have decreased now . Dr Atkins says that its not unusual to loose 2.5 lbs per week so I'm not too concerned as lond as there is a downward trend . however I would like to hear from others about the sleep and the foggy head , feels as if Im slightly drunk all the time
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Oct-24-01, 12:40
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Welcome aboard Rob,

Don't worry about these side effects. I gather you're on your 3rd or 4th day of induction, which are the hardest due to carb withdrawl. They should subside ina couple of days. Make sure you take some multi-vitamins, and why not some extra potassium.

As for losing weight, it's not always fast, unless you 100+ to lose, and had no prior low-calorie diets.

If you have been on a low-calorie diet before, it may have cause some muscle-loss, which slows down metabolism. If that's the case, some strenght training may help.

Wa'il
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Oct-24-01, 13:23

Plan: protein power
Stats: 168.8/157.9/130 Male 5 foot 2 inches
BF:33.1/27/20
Progress: 28%
Thumbs up sleeplessness and dizziness

Hi Tamarian,

I've just been reading the health issues , it seems that potassium salt may be a good idea and I am aware that Magnesium is supposed to be good for sleep so I will try it and let you know how I feel . I keep on promising myself that I must go to the gym
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Oct-24-01, 13:38
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%
Default Re: sleeplessness and dizziness

Quote:
Originally posted by Rob
I keep on promising myself that I must go to the gym

Me too! But until we go to the gym, there are many useful exercise that can be done at home, the basic push-ups sit-ups etc. It's quite useful to measure your strenght for reference as well.

Yes, magenisum + calcium is a good addition to a daily multi-vitamin package. Any brand of multi should do.

Wa'il
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Oct-24-01, 23:48
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%
Smile hi Rob, welcome aboard

On the slow weight loss ... Wa'il is right, the less you have to lose, the slower it seems to come off. But the rate% is the same ... for example, if someone who weighs 250 lbs loses 2.5 lbs, that is 1% of their weight. If you lose 1.6 lbs, that is 1% of YOUR weight. I imagine the weight did not go on overnight, so it will not come off rapidly either. You have a good attitude though; it is a downward trend

About exercising ... a lot of folks are exercising at home, due to no gym facility available or the expense, or no time etc ... And remember, walking RULES ... no special equipment needed except for good shoes ... And even in bad weather you can walk indoors at a shopping mall. Here in my area, in fact the malls open early before the shops open .. and "mall walking" is encouraged.

Here's to low-carbing success for you!

Doreen
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Oct-25-01, 04:25

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: //2002
BF:and feeling great
Progress: 99%

Hi Rob!

It took me pretty much a full 20 months to get right to my final goal - which in fact was only yesterday

Once I realized very early on, that I was a *slow loser* I set mini goals along the way and found it to be more reassuring.

I also consoled myself with the message: the longer it takes to lose the more likely it will stay off for good.